Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheels on ebay

Views : 12088

Replies : 82

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 20:55   #11
Alf ista
Premier Member

If these had come along when I was doing my resto, I would have seriously considered it as I think they really set the car off. Makes it look mean!!! But I spent a lot of time cleaning up my 4.5" wheels and getting them sprayed professionally. I also got a set of 165's with a long time to go before they are worn out. So, for now I am going to stick with my stock wheels and make do with the nice set of stainless wheel trims I got.

For those of you that are interested I recomend a phone call to Simon in Brookhouse first to see what the buy it now price is. You could end up spending more on ebay if the bidding gets out of hand.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 05:11   #12
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
My car has been running about on 5.5j rims for years now. It feels great. I didn’t really notice any difference in steering weight at low speeds either.

They also look great and finish the car off nicely.
Pics ??
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:28   #13
DJS

Here you go. Not a great picture. I'll try to find a better one for next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazon and Co.JPG (214.9 KB, 50 views)
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:56   #14
amaz'in

Hi DJS,

Do you happen to have a photo or three you could pop up here of your car with 5.5's? , I am really tempted by these wheels...it's a good few quid but a company called banded wheels charge a lot more than that just to band them and thats without painting.

I really am not sure about the look of mini-lites on the Ammo's...just my opinion and taste..so please don't flame me anyone for saying this.

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:59   #15
amaz'in

Hi DJS,

Typical of course...by the time I had got a post ready you happened to have popped a pic up...a much improved look over the 'Kate Moss' standard version's imho...nice.

J
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 13:37   #16
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf ista View Post
For those of you that are interested I recomend a phone call to Simon in Brookhouse first to see what the buy it now price is. You could end up spending more on ebay if the bidding gets out of hand.
I strongly recommend NOT to go berserk-biding, since this is a plain in-stock-part now, VP Autoparts (Sweden) are the folks behind this repro wheel.

The new repro 5.5" wheel, from VP autoparts, SEK 995 (GBP 84 a piece)

Do I have some comments about it?
Well, yes I do - but none are positive. (Or, more correct: None are positive in the ears of those who fancy these 5.5" wheels).
For those who concern - it's a matter of a Volvo bulletin, the production of this perticular wheel and insurrence/legal problems (safety).

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Jan 8th, 2010 at 13:47.
ClassicVolvoShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 13:47   #17
amaz'in

Just goes to show I hadn't read the eBay listing correctly, I actually had in my mind it was a £250.00 BIN...Doh! Blonde moment..well Bald moment in my instance.

So Classic Volvo...Since you wanted to hint a certain amount...without giving the info...akin to telling a joke without the punchline :-) what are your comments...Pm me if you prefer although i'm sure all looking in on this thread would like to know...is it simply a case of you don't like them...or is it that they are poor quality? or??

J

Last edited by amaz'in; Jan 8th, 2010 at 13:53.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 14:03   #18
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaz'in View Post
Just goes to show I hadn't read the eBay listing correctly, I actually had in my mind it was a £250.00 BIN...Doh! Blonde moment..well Bald moment in my instance.

So Classic Volvo...Since you wanted to hint a certain amount...without giving the info...akin to telling a joke without the punchline :-) what are your comments...Pm me if you prefer although i'm sure all looking in on this thread would like to know...is it simply a case of you don't like them...or is it that they are poor quality? or??

J
If Simon of Brookhouse is selling them and VP underwriting them thats good enough for me.
Sometimes we get swept up with the Far East Quality thing. In my view their workmanship is second to none but with far lower labour rates. Look at the SS bumpers far better than the OEM ones.
Im thinking of getting a set; but not at £84ea+shipping - yet! When I do I will have them NDT'd at work and let you know the results.
I also thought it was a BIN so doubly disapointed !!
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 14:17   #19
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

OK - I was trying to tease a bit - but since there's a furious fast interest, here's my (personal and nothing else) take on all this:

Very long story short - Volvo back in 1970'ies released a paper, that they wouldn't accept/couldn't approve those 5.5" wheels that the KPZ rim factory (Germany) started selling. Therefore - in principal: The 5,5 rims ARE NOT approved by Volvo - so theorectically, an MOT or the similar EU inspection, "SHOULD" let a PV/120/1800 fail if fitted with these 5.5" rims.
(Documention etc. is at hand, though in Swedish)

VP Autoparts - are a funny player in the market for parts for the old Volvo's.
It's one of the good/best YES no daubt! - BUT, in a all to many cases, they chose the "cheap" solution or as we say in danish: "They jump the fence, where it's lowest"..
I have NOHTING against them or ANY of the retailers in the business.

The 5.5" rim (the repro one) - has NO E-mark - which tecnically means, they are not "legal".

It's produced in China (no problem at all with China, but..) - and it has NOT got the same spec's when it comes to steel-quality, thickness and welding process.

The KPZ "original" 5.5" rims - tend to bend or "wobble" slowly over the years - even that they are considerably thick in goods etc.

I have no proof or tecnical test to support my theories - but I'm most sure I know the person behind this reproduction - and I stand by, that in far to many cases he's known to take a way to easy cut to get things done. The Swedish Amazon Club tried to get him to produced gas/petrol caps for the 120 estate (they are very rare to find in good condition) - it failed big, big time! Didn't fit, poor quality. Take the reproduced chromed trim for the front-flasher - it's a piece of crap! Doesn't fit nicely and the production of it is just embarrasing poor with un-sanded edges etc. etc. etc. - and this is only a fraction of examples from this guy who's behind, I could name tons..

So my reasoning is: This guy behind it - rims produced and welded up in China - without prober E-approvement..

Narh, I am NOT going to buy a set!

I'm most sure the (steel/weld) quality is to low - they will wobble and get out of balance - and in the most extreme incident, should you crash due to these wheels and the insurrence finds out the wheels are unoriginal, illegal, not E-marked and course of the accident (hopefully not too serious) - I'm sure they'll claim regress..

I know that's a more philosofical discussion - but down to earth, I'm sure the quality just isn't as it should be.

I'll even bet a complete Volvo-garden-party, grill, beer, food and music - if someone drives these rims on a normal daily driver use in 1 year - without the rims wobbles and/or go way out of balance.

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Jan 8th, 2010 at 14:37.
ClassicVolvoShop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClassicVolvoShop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 14:23   #20
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
..Look at the SS bumpers far better than the OEM ones...
Since you state this - Do you actually know how many who try produce these SS bumpers? It's not just one FYI.

And I agree that the reproduced chromed ones have a very poor reputation, but that's not the steel/production - but the chrome-job done! The chroming is done in Sweden, where copper-plating is extremely costly, so it has been saved by VP - with the outcome that no one today trusts the repro bumpers.

The steel parts are pressed by original manufactorer for Volvo - but the chroming is where VP exchanged quality for profit.

Buy the parts unchromed - get them chromed yourself (with copper plating) - and you have the best show quality that will last.

Don't think that things always are what they look like on the surface..