Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti Skid Service Required...

Views : 1158

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 16:29   #1
mikael eliasson

Exclamation Anti Skid Service Required...

Hi
My V50 2011 went in to limp mode the other day. Anti skid service required and the Amber engine light came on.
Green flag was unable to locate the fault and said I need to get Volvo diagnostics. I am in Walthamstow, East London. Does anyone know anyone local or mobile who might be able to help me with a diagnostic test? I heard of a “Terry” at Swedish Motor Service but have been unable to get hold of him.
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Mikael
mikael eliasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 09:22   #2
FredGraham

Default My Car Similar Events

Hi Mikael
I own a C70 and similar happened to me, Turned out the CEM contacts needed a clean and sprayed with contact cleaner. It's been fine since. Could be all that's needed to cure the problem. Good luck.
Fred
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 10:05   #3
mikael eliasson

Default Thanks and...

Hi Fred
Thanks for your reply!
I’m not very clued up car mechanics. Is this something I could easily do myself? Is the CEM the unit in the passenger side?

Thanks
Mikael
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 15:00   #4
MDS40

It's on the passenger side under the glove box.
Easy job to do.
Just remember to disconnect the battery before starting.
Lots of info on the web.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 15:39   #5
Carthings

Just another option- my V50 had this problem and I cleaned the CEM etc to no avail and bizarrely it was replacing the EGR that fixed it - unrelated I know but I have heard this has worked for others too.
Carthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:38   #6
mikael eliasson

So, I’ve finally got round to cleaning the CEM, but unfortunately that didn’t sort it out
I’ve still not managed to get hold of anyone to carry out diagnostics. Does anyone know anyone mobile who can do diagnostics in east London (E17 5BY)?

I could take it to my local garage to have the EGR replaced as Carthings suggested, but maybe silly to pay for that invade that wouldn’t solve it

Any ideas welcome.
Thanks
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:57   #7
mikael eliasson

Another message came up (actually before I cleaned the CEM) “ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED”
Not sure if that gives any additional clues to the issue?
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 19:44   #8
Christopher jz

The antiskid service required message can be triggered by multiple things. Rather than spend money guessing you really should either pay for a diagnostic or just get yourself a Chinese Vida dice unit from eBay and use it to diagnose the fault. On mine it turned out to be the brake pressure sensor which is inside the hydraulic unit on the abs module.
Christopher jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 17:06   #9
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael eliasson View Post
Another message came up (actually before I cleaned the CEM) “ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED”
Not sure if that gives any additional clues to the issue?
+1 to getting car properly diagnosed rather than guessing, diagnostic tool will tell you exactly whats going on.
sidenote - "engine system service" message sometimes is related to alternator failing, check if your voltage in system is OK.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 18:07   #10
mikael eliasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthings View Post
Just another option- my V50 had this problem and I cleaned the CEM etc to no avail and bizarrely it was replacing the EGR that fixed it - unrelated I know but I have heard this has worked for others too.
The emission system light is on so your theory is very likely.

I don’t have a pc laptop (only Mac) so don’t think I’ll be able to use a vida dice unless it could be connected to an iPad
Has anyone used click mechanic or could you recommend another service for someone to come round to do diagnostics.

Thanks

Tags
diagnostics