Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 drivers seat

Views : 863

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:07   #1
jetronic63

Default 240 drivers seat

I have just bought a fantastic 240 GLT saloon and am working my way through the little things that need fixing. I have noticed that the seat back on the drivers seat seems twisted - it is further back on the left side than on the right. Can the alignment be corrected ? - anyone with any tips or experience of this, let me know. Thanks. Steve
jetronic63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 23:29   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Had this as a MOT failure. Simple remedy - one of the bolts holding the back will have dropped out.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 17:58   #3
dennisl1
VOC President

Default 240 seat back

I have had this problem with three 240's and have just done it on my present 240 GLT.

I am going to assume that that it is the part of the back that your left shoulder would rest against. It has gone flat and does not hold you in place very well.

If this is the case the problem lies with the foam in the seat back. I don,t know why that particular place goes but, as I said it has happened in three of my 240's.

I cured them all by taking out the seat, only four bolts holding it down, unplugging the heated seat cable and lifting the seat out of the car. Lay the seat on its 'face' and you will see the bottom of the seat back. There you will see some metal wire clips that are looped around a steel rod. This holds the front of the seat cover to the back. Cut them of with a good pair of side cutters or the like. Beware the wires are very sharp! Now take out the seat back tensioning plastic knob, it just unscrews.

Having done this carefully slide the seat cover inside out up the back, a bit like taking off a sock by pulling at the ankle bit rather than the toe.

When you get the cover right up to the head rest, (which you can also remove, I won't explain, it is so obvious if you have reached this stage) you should notice that the foam around the seat frame has split and the frame is poking through.

I have cured this by using 'Evostick' to glue the splits back together and once when there was a hole where the foam had disintengrated I glued in a piece of firm foam from a sponge. I then got a piece of chamois leather and glued it right over the whole area of the repair. Then went and had a cup of coffee! This lets the glue set.

When all is set carefully slide the cover back into place, again like putting a sock on by starting with it inside out and putting the toe bit on your foot first then folding the rest back over your foot. I hope that makes sense.

When you come to where the bits of wire that you cut off were, use cable ties instead and they will pull the front and back together at the base of the backrest. Then screw in the lumbar support and finally bolt it back into place not forgetting the heated seat cable.

This has cured all of mine and what a difference it makes not sliding about in the seat.

It really is a very simple job so don't be put off.

Good luck

Dennis
dennisl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:49   #4
jetronic63

Default 240 drivers seat

Thanks guys, I will whip the seat out and take a look. Not sure my vertebrae will hold out much longer ! Steve.
jetronic63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:23   #5
classicracing

When you have the seat apart check the seat back frame also
Bulletin (Green Top from Factory) dated Oct 90 refersa to a change of foam and reinforcement of frame from chassis 425511 (244) and 879483 (245)

This defect was 'known' by the factory prior to this and many were replaced under warranty and for safety reasons
classicracing is offline   Reply With Quote