Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 windscreen bonding failure

Views : 31953

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 11:38   #61
Toddspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Today I have had to have the windscreen replaced on my July 2009 XC60 due to bonding failure along the top of the windscreen. It started to become apparent that there was a problem over the last few days with a sustantial water leak on the drivers side of the screen.
The car had to go to a windscreen company to be rectified, unfortunately the original screen cracked during removal, which is not unusual so a new screen was fitted. The fitter said that this was the second XC60 he had with the same problem, which he said was due to a poor primer when the car was built. In fact mine was so bad you could push the top of the screen out about 1/4 inch from inside the car.
As I have had the car since new and know it has not been mistreated this is not really what I would expect from a car not yet three and a half years old, which is a shame as I love the car
Hi, I have same issue, windscreen across the top has no adhesion (I gently pushed the windscreen up from inside the car). I am trying to get Volvo to repair but having no luck. Do you know if applying sealant across the top seal will have any affect?

Thanks in advance of any help
Toddspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 14:26   #62
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddspur View Post
Hi, I have same issue, windscreen across the top has no adhesion (I gently pushed the windscreen up from inside the car). I am trying to get Volvo to repair but having no luck. Do you know if applying sealant across the top seal will have any affect?

It may help as a temporary fix, but really, all you're doing is adding new sealant on top of the windscreen. The most you can do with the windscreen in place is just remove the old sealant from the top seal and replace it with new, but that won't solve the problem long term. With the windscreen in place, you simply can't access the sealant underneath the glass. Doing this is more of a botch than a proper fix, but better than nothing as a temporary measure. There's no point sealing along the top and leaving the old stuff underneath, in my opinion.

To do a proper job, the windscreen needs to fully removed from the car and all the crevices cleaned of debris/old sealant, apply new sealant all around the edges and top, put the windscreen back in and seal around the whole thing again. It needs time to cure fully too, so no driving until the sealant has had time to set.

You can't just put any old sealant in either, it won't last. It has to be special stuff that's flexible and waterproof.

You need a professional to do it, as removing a windscreen isn't exactly a DIY job without the proper tools.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 18th, 2024 at 14:38.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 19:51   #63
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddspur View Post

The windscreen is a structural part of the cars safety shell. It needs bonding in correctly.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 09:59   #64
Ptmorries

Default leaking windscreen

i had the same on xc60 2011, took it to volvo they didn't want to know, ended up getting National windsceens to do the job on insurance.
Ptmorries is offline   Reply With Quote