Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

' SKY INSURANCE ' & it's approach ?

Views : 4880

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2010, 16:56   #11
Lloydnoise

Default Common ground ?

Hello eve'ryone , ...

'still very interested to hear your views on this & any subject i've posted ,...i still have a bit of time before i transfer 'or' take out a 'new insurance' on whicheve'r Volvo i'm lucky to find ,..... so hearing your shared experiences & advice is very much valued .

Positives , Lloyd .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ' IGNITION '.jpg (92.7 KB, 5 views)
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 19:55   #12
st5ve
S60 R

A Plan is very good on price and very good customer service

Your point is very coherant and agree with all you said, I am sorry to hear of Eve please except my sympathy for you and your family
The Following User Says Thank You to st5ve For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 20:21   #13
Lloydnoise

Default Reply

Hi Steve ,..thanks for your 'personal message' ....

' A plan ' ...is that a part of Sky ,...or another company ??

Positives ,...Lloyd .

" Let's look for the good in life,..not the faults "
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 21:33   #14
st5ve
S60 R

A-Plan is not related to SKY as far as I know

here is a link http://www.aplan.co.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to st5ve For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:22   #15
Lloydnoise

Default ' Nothing but blue Sky's '

Good morning to you all ,...( can't believe i'm up at this time ,ha ha,...the wee man starts secondary school today, aaaahhhh . )

I'm looking forward to hearing from Sky insurance hopefully today,..perhaps there's been a chinwag fest over my post re 'not' insuring 'unemployed' people ,
'&' if your car is worth £2,000 or under NO comprehensive will be considered!

Johnnyv70 kindly re - raised the issue with Sky , & included a link to my post -- ( on ' General section ' ) with his letter,....& there's been some strong reactions to 'what appears' to be their stance .

I'm sure i've 'misunderstood' what i was quoted ,....& that Sky ( having the privilege to advertise here . )...can & will open there policies to a 'not inconsiderable' amount of people & finance which could be heading their way!

Wonder what shareholders would think / do they know ??

I look forward to your thoughts , & reactions to this & if you get a chance to read my post & it's replies, please feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks to all for your help .

Positives , Lloyd .

" Let's look for the good in life,..not the faults "
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:54   #16
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default more than and swift cover

I'm insured with more than = 155 quid fully comp' with low excess. Swift cover is good also. That's for a 1997 945.
The Following User Says Thank You to barkster1971 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 08:51   #17
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Are we to conclude that ( 1 ) Sky insurance are of the belief that someone unemployed is more likely to drive their cherished volvo 'less carefully' than someone who perhaps is more equipped to have financial security ??
I would personally take it that SKY Insurance are like all the other shyster insurance companies who try this sort of thing on, and therefore are not worth dealing with.....Now or EVER.

One day you you will be in work again , and you may well buy a new car? Bet they will be interested then!!! Greedy, bloodsucking leeches the whole stinking lot of these toerag insurance companies.

I had the same thing with Greenbee (John lewis) insurance earlier this year. Basically the 1996 940 Turbo doesn't exist. Because according to Greenbee, they stopped making them in 1995!!! Toss Pots !!

Anyway, I wish you luck in finding future work. It's not easy at the moment, and most of us have been there at some time or other.

Last edited by Oilydad; Aug 18th, 2010 at 08:56.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 13:29   #18
strawberrys40

Try giving your local NFU Mutual office a call - local service and winner for five years in arow of best insurer in Auto Express.
The Following User Says Thank You to strawberrys40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 09:41   #19
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

As I am sure you can appreciate, as an insurance broker we can only offer rates from the insurers on our panel. Each of these has their own acceptance criteria. Unfortunately they do exclude unemployed drivers from our scheme. I think that this is due to the fact many drivers with occupations insurers do not like, such as professional sportsman, actors/actresses musicians, couriers, motor traders etc would give their occupation as unemployed in order to obtain cheaper insurance. Insurers have found themselves being exposed to risks they would not normally have accepted so took the steps to avoid this. I do not think this is because of any pre conceived ideas about what type of person is unemployed, simply insurers eliminating factors that have caused them to make loses in the past.

With regards to the value of vehicle being unacceptable as it is too low.... well I'm not sure where that one has come from. I can only assume the advisor was trying to point out that insuring a low value vehicle comprehensive cover can be a false economy as any minor knock could result in the vehicle being deemed a right off and the customer is left with no car and an excess bill from their insurer.

I am sorry if we have been unable to offer you a quote, I can assure you this purely down to the restrictions placed on us and not a decision we have made as a broker.

Finally on a personal note I would like to offer my sincere condolences to you Lloyd. I have two young daughters myself and they are everything to me. I couldn't even imagine life without them

Jae
Underwriting Manager
Sky Insurance

Last edited by skyinsurance_ollie; Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:02.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyinsurance_ollie For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:51   #20
V70Driver
Premier Member

Not sure I would accept the excuse or explanation offered by Sky. The list of occupations listed is bizarre, cannot see what risks are beyond acceptance in those specific occupations.
For thirty years I have been flying, this involves shift work, earlies, lates, nights, winter summer, cold, hot, at all times of the year, including the usual time differences the body clock has to adapt to, yet I have no problem insuring the car, motorbike, house, contents etc. Last year I was made redundant and still managed to insure my car, motorbike, house and contents without any mention of added premium as I am now unemployed or refusal to to being out of work. Am puzzled as to why we have a post code lottery and occupation lottery. I would have thought insurance company's would gratefully accept the business, after all in general they are used to shafting the public and will have any number of ready excuses not to pay out. Insurances generally rise every year because of the claimes that have been submitted. The public don't alays get a rise and in the last year or two, either salaries have frozen or dropped.

I seem to be in a similar situation as some other unfortunate members,
Feb 2nd Mother in law dies suddenly 55 years
Feb 18th Daughter Hannah dies, 7 months old
March 3rd Mother dies 70 years

All in 1993 ! In August the same year, while my wife and I were searching for property in Machester, as I was working for Airtours at the time but living near Bath, I was made rudundant. 1993, a really crap year.
V70Driver
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Driver For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread