Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

' SKY INSURANCE ' & it's approach ?

Views : 4879

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:47   #21
Oilydad
Premier Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
I think that this is due to the fact many drivers with occupations insurers do not like, such as professional sportsman, actors/actresses musicians, couriers, motor traders etc would give their occupation as unemployed
With due respect. I don't wear this rubbish about actors, and such people from SKY. A simple query to the last employer would resolve such issues.

Lloyd is genuinely UNEMPLOYED.

That means he needs his car to look for work? No?

NOT VERY HELPFUL. THAT will really help him to go to interviews.

No wonder insurance companies have a lousy and well deserved as LOUSY reputation. It is disgraceful that because he is in this unfortunate situation that nobody will help him.

I've met a few people lately, who through no fault of their own (mostly down to 13 years of inept government) have lost their jobs or been made redundant. Having been there myself, it is the most worrying, heart-wrenching time for them and their families. Bills bills and mo0re bills, and no money to support you.

Like many people they thought that they had a reasonably safe job......maybe a bit like you guys at SKY, sitting smugly in your offices.....??

Things can change overnight.....so don't ever think that YOU are immune from losing YOUR jobs....because it CAN happen.

SO SKY HELP THEM!!!

Tell your smug underwriters to get off their fat backsides and DO something about it. There are lots of very decent people unemployed at the moment.

Last edited by Oilydad; Aug 19th, 2010 at 11:52.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 13:21   #22
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

Not really sure how to reply to this.

We have three insurers who offer a discount to car club members. If a customer does not meet their criteria we have to say "very sorry we couldn't help you, thank you for the enquiry" We haven't tried to trick anyone or con anyone, we haven't been rude. All we have done is apologise for not being able to offer a competitive quote. This is nothing personal against the individual in question. I wish him well i nthe future and hopes he finds a competive quote.

J
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 13:40   #23
V70Driver
Premier Member

I don't want to appear argumentative but, you can't explain why an actor, sports person and the other occupations listed in your previous thread, appear to you to be considered high risk.
Like wise why there is an occupation and post code lottery.
Why is an unemployed person such a high risk? Would he not benefit from having his own transport to seek employment rather then the costly and in a lot of cases, inconvenient methods of public transport?
I would consider my background to be more of a risk than a musician who has a car valued at £1000 to £1500 while my car insurance was issued on a value of £8000. Do you assume crime in Dundee and Manchester does not happen down here on the sleepy Dorset coast?
V70Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyinsurance View Post
Not really sure how to reply to this.

We have three insurers who offer a discount to car club members. If a customer does not meet their criteria we have to say "very sorry we couldn't help you, thank you for the enquiry" We haven't tried to trick anyone or con anyone, we haven't been rude. All we have done is apologise for not being able to offer a competitive quote. This is nothing personal against the individual in question. I wish him well i nthe future and hopes he finds a competive quote.

J
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Driver For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 13:43   #24
Lloydnoise

Default In response to 'Sky' & the following great replies .

Hi ,....' Firstly ' let me point out that the 'only' thing worth reading in the Sky reply was the sentence starting ' Finally ' ......

Thanks to the part of your heart which is still intact & i have great pride in knowing that i can still see the 'infinite beauty & wonderment' in each child eve'n after Eve flew to ' higher ground' .......
........with that in mind i wish you & your Daughters truth & light .

It's nice to have a reply from an insurance company which contains 'something' of a human & emotional nature !
I hope 'you' ( no name / position etc ? ) ..will start to feel the gentle landslide of feelings on these subjects & perhaps ? 'pass on' your experience of the emotional & heartfelt feedback you are being given ? ..are 'you' in a position to do this ?

'Do you realise' that 'you' could instigate a 'first' here, & be 'the' company who cares & 'discounts' for these people & situations ,....& of the financial 'gain' ( millions ) which could ensue ??.......
.......post my commission to my bank details on your request , ha ha ....' really though !! ' ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps when one is in the daily criteria of working in these 'dentist like' institutions one can 'lose the place' of the fact that you're insurance policys are not about ticking boxes & Christmas party nudges & winks / promotions etc,......IT'S ABOUT PEOPLE !-
-( Barbara Streisand song enters )

' These people ' are ' YOUR DAUGHTERS ' / etc ,...& are wrapped up sometimes in eve'nts which they have no control over , so that -
( eve'n excepting that companys can't be too involved in the personal & emotional side of things )..... - should form a major part of your thinking !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

' NOW ' with regard to your predudice 'for that's surely what it is' ? .....on Musicians / Actors / Night / shift workers etc , ...let me offer you a few thoughts ,.....

ALL these people pay tax ( not that this is the arbiter of character reference etc ) just like you & any other persons,..... on anything from a penny chew to the horrifically unkept roads we drive on ,....'these taxes' go to propping up 'institutions' like yours in tax 'exemptions' & other backhanders so it suggests 'to me' that a little more respect should be given & factored into the critera of policies & their guidelines .

' All ' these people / occupations etc ,work mainly in hours 'out' of the rush-hour traffic when the roads are very very quiet & mainly free from traffic !! ,..therefore i would imagine that the risk of accidents would be considerably reduced,...unless that is if we're about to hear in " Your ( not mine !) 90 second update" from the blue peter presenter that " a plague of night flys / hedgehogs / foxes / owls have brought Britain to a standstill,.... & Insurance companies are having to raise their premiums as a result of the carnage ! ?"

Please 'read again' my original thread plus the replys 'after' todays message from you ,...'oh' & by the way with regard to your ' i dont know why ' comment re criteria etc ,...i hope that dosen't suggest the 'standards' expected from Sky ?

I look forward to hearing from other people on this & it would be nice to hear ( if poss ) from the 'Admin people' who so graciously gifted Sky this prominence .

Thanks in advance for any input ,..this is not intended personally , but perhaps donates & has touched on a far greater subject ?

Positives , from Lloyd .

" Let's look for the good in life,..not the faults "
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 13:48   #25
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Driver View Post
I don't want to appear argumentative but, you can't explain why an actor, sports person and the other occupations listed in your previous thread, appear to you to be considered high risk.
Like wise why there is an occupation and post code lottery.
Why is an unemployed person such a high risk? Would he not benefit from having his own transport to seek employment rather then the costly and in a lot of cases, inconvenient methods of public transport?
I would consider my background to be more of a risk than a musician who has a car valued at £1000 to £1500 while my car insurance was issued on a value of £8000. Do you assume crime in Dundee and Manchester does not happen down here on the sleepy Dorset coast?
V70Driver
We are NOT underwriters, these are NOT our/my opinions. We do NOT decide what is or isn't a good risk. Insurance companies, NOT brokers, decide how to rate specific factors based on there own claims statistics. If one insurer has a lot of claims come in from people who wear green jumpers on a Thursday, they will refuse or increase the premium for drivers who wear green jumpers on a Thursday. Other insurers may offer discounts for exactly the same thing based on their own claims statistics.

Jae Pearse
Sales Manager

Last edited by skyinsurance_ollie; Aug 19th, 2010 at 14:14.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 14:01   #26
V70Driver
Premier Member

Then I would suggest you change the company's you decide to work with.
They are extremely prejudiced. Of course you could ask "your company's" to explain to this forum their real thoughts instead of using your organisation as a front.
I think most if not all on the forum are well aware of the "practices" of insurance company's, be it for there cars, bikes, houses etc.
V70Driver
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Driver For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 14:02   #27
smithysbarge

Is it just me or is this getting a little aggressive and unfriendly?

Unfortunately this is an open market and as such we are not entitled to an insurance (or any other) product from this company. If they, or their suppliers, do not wish to take business from a group of people (subject to legal requirement on race etc) they don't have to. They and their suppliers first legal duty as a company is to make money for their shareholders be they private or public. Therefore it is their duty not to expose themselves to risks that, in their eyes, would reduce that profit.
Conversely if you don't like their prices/attitude/service don't buy from them. As it is an open market it is very unlikely that one company or another will not offer the product to that risk group, you just need to be able to afford it but that's another matter.

I've found that the official club insurance very uncompetitive for my circumstances so I don't use them.

Retires behind sofa.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smithysbarge For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 14:16   #28
Lloydnoise

Default Green jumpers !

Well well ,.... that sounded close to a rant ' J ' ! ,.......
.....i was concentrating on your personal message to myself & seeing it as a respectful & positive thing to say , but if you 're read' your last reply it dosen't come over very well in my opinion.

It also 'completely avoids' the 'bigger picture' & questions highlighted in my own & others replys etc .

It feels like being ' shouted at ' without the use of 'obvious capitols' .

Whateve'r one says about --

"it's insurance companies who make the rules etc " ..being part of their brokers perhaps connects & attaches you first hand & 'by association' with the way they treat / judge people / opinions & outlook .
You are maybe assisting in this.

I suppose one then has to consider what one 'allows' to be done in one's name.

I'm sure of one thing ' J ' .....'they' are the ones wearing green jerseys over their heads on a weekly basis ! ha ha .

Positives , Lloyd .

Last edited by Lloydnoise; Aug 19th, 2010 at 14:39.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lloydnoise For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 14:38   #29
Lloydnoise

Default For Smithy !

Hi there , i agree with the ' facts' & choices ( are they good choices ? ) we have etc, ....

....'but' i think we are 'all' 'judged' / 'informed on' / '&' 'persecuted' on being 'almost' anti anything nowadays ,........so perhaps we should consider 'why' these 'faceless' companies are getting away scott free with 'their' discriminations '&' earning countless millions in the process ? ......
( i dont see them stating 'that' in their main sales pitch ? )

It's not about being 'too' serious ,....it's about accountability ,...& making this a better & fairer world .

Thanks Smithy , positives from Lloyd .

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 14:41   #30
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydnoise View Post
Well well ,.... that sounded close to a rant ! ,...i was concentrating on your personal message to myself & seeing it as a respectful & positive thing to say , but if you 're read' your last reply it dosen't come over very well in my opinion.

It also 'completely avoids' the 'bigger picture' & questions highlighted in my own & others replys etc .

It feels like being ' shouted at ' without the use of 'obvious capitols' .

Whateve'r one says about --

"it's insurance companies who make the rules etc " ..being part of their brokers perhaps connects & attaches you first hand & 'by association' with the way they treat / judge people / opinions & outlook .
You are maybe assisting in this.

I suppose one then has to consider what one 'allows' to be done in one's name.

I'm sure of one thing ' J ' .....'they' are the ones wearing green jerseys over their heads on a weekly basis ! ha ha .

Positives , Lloyd .
Lloyd, I am sorry Sky was not able to give you a cheap insurance policy. I am sure there are plenty of other people on here who we will be able to help.

Jae Pearse
Sales Manager