Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Volvo Engine Architecture"

Views : 1521

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 15:44   #1
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

Default "Volvo Engine Architecture"

Apologies if you've all read about this already, but local dealer just sent a link via Facebook to the following information.....

Volvo Car Group launches world-first injection technology in the new VEA engine family

Volvo Car Group's new engine family VEA (Volvo Engine Architecture) will be launched this autumn with world-first i-ART technology that helps to cut fuel consumption in the new diesel engines.

By featuring pressure feedback from each fuel injector instead of using a traditional single pressure sensor in the common rail, i-ART makes it possible to continuously monitor and adapt fuel injection per combustion in each of the four cylinders.

"Increasing the rail pressure to an exceptionally high 2,500 Bar, while adding the i-ART technology, can be described as the second step in the diesel revolution. It is a breakthrough comparable to when we invented the groundbreaking lambda sensor for the catalytic converter in 1976. It's another world-first for Volvo," says Derek Crabb, Vice President Powertrain Engineering at Volvo Car Group.

He adds: "Each injector has a small computer on top, which monitors injection pressure. Using this information, the self-adapting i-ART system makes sure that the ideal amount of fuel is injected during each combustion cycle."

The combination of higher injection pressure and i-ART technology gives the customer an engine with improved fuel economy, considerably lower emissions and high performance output as well as a powerful sound character.

Launched autumn 2013
Volvo Car Group will launch the Volvo Engine Architecture in autumn 2013. With VEA, Volvo will also introduce a new 8-speed automatic gearbox that contributes to a refined drive and excellent fuel economy.

Diesel common rail and petrol direct injection are standard in the upcoming modular range of diesel and petrol engines.

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S70 B5254T For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 10:27   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

Just read an article in Auto Express concerning the new XC90, apparently it will only have 4cyl engines. does anybody know if theres any truth in this?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 19:06   #3
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Just read an article in Auto Express concerning the new XC90, apparently it will only have 4cyl engines. does anybody know if theres any truth in this?
Possible - the third paragraph in the press release specifically refers to four cylinders; I guess the stupendously high rail pressure will more than compensate for an apparently modest capacity engine :-)

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 19:35   #4
CJL
Master Member

I read somewhere ages ago that in the future Volvo will move towards 4 cylinder diesel engines.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 20:51   #5
Thanatos
VOC Member

Iirc 2012 was the last year for the 5 cylinder engines so it could be there going 4 cylinder such a shame.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 21:05   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

The change is linked ignoring the V40 sized next car all the bigger volvos will be on the SPA this will only accept from understanding a maximum of 4 cylinder engines there will be possibility of 3 cylinders been seen to in the SPA, the design of engines being the VEA in various forms diesel or petrol.

Regarding the V40 sized next car it will be on a new shared platform with the same scaleable features as the SPA. There has been no word on who the share will be with the time for implementation etc.

Although what is making me go yikes is the thought of the cost of those injectors needing change!

Last edited by Ninja59; Apr 10th, 2013 at 21:07.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 21:08   #7
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Sounds impressive, but it sounds like it will be extraordinarily expensive when it goes wrong.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 21:18   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
Iirc 2012 was the last year for the 5 cylinder engines so it could be there going 4 cylinder such a shame.
The 5 cylinder petrol turbo in 2 litre form ( 2 power levels ) and 2.5 litre form ( 260 bhp ) has just been launched in the V40 Cross country :-) not dead yet!