Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Safety" camera van

Views : 2026

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2016, 09:39   #11
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Get used to the inefficiency
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 10:20   #12
chadders1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
Unless Chadders has proof positive that the speeding evidence taken from "safety" vans is used solely in relation to spending offences, and the setting up of that fine does not involve the "normal" checks for MOT, Tax and insurance, then personally I would doubt that statement.
Simply setting up this costly system and then just using it in a speeding prosecution sense only, rather than a simple catch all offence at the same time, would suggest a very inefficient system.
The vans are set up in locations where speeding / accidents related to speed are an issue either because statistics say so or because the local community has contacted the respective police authority and complained about the speed of motorists. The locations are then generally published on the website of the police authority.
The camera is set up to record the speed at which a prosecution will be brought about and that's it. The person operating the van and the camera sits back and reads the paper. At the end of a days work the DVLA data base is checked for the details of the registered keeper (RK) & only the registered keeper! The RK of all the vehicles caught exceeding the speed limit are then sent an NIP

Any other checks would be an abuse of process because the purpose of the check is to find out who the RK is so that the process of a prosecution can be started, and not to see if there is insurance or MOT.

To prosecute someone for no insurance and or no MOT is a completely different process. Points are not issued for no MOT it's a fine only.

No insurance is 6 points and a fixed penalty of £200 and the vehicle will also be seized. Unless the matter is dealt with at court in which case the driver will be reported for the offence and the vehicle seized.
chadders1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 10:48   #13
827Roverman
VOC Member

Wink Pre-booked MOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
Just fetched my Volvo 164 back from under friend's car-port for a pre-booked MoT appointment when I passed a camera-van parked in a lay-by on the A281 south of Horsham, which proclaimed it being a "safety" van. So what is it really - camera's chasing tax-evaders of course.
Bet they see my MoT had expired a few days ago, so will I get a prosecution letter automatically? Does a pre-booked MoT go through wherever the camera-van films go for analysis, or is it just the garage's job-card? If the latter (which I suspect) ought I ask the garage for proof of it being pre-booked when I take it in (tomorrow)? How long before I can relax! and if a letter does come, has anybody any recommendations as how to respond.

P
Providing your car was taxed & insured & you where not speeding, you should be ok going for a pre-booked MOT, but why let your MOT expire anyway ? with regards to these vans, buy a Snooper, great little things, mine alerts me of all types of fixed camera's, & all mobile vans including approaching schools, not that I speed anyway after last getting caught at 35 mph, that's when I got a Snooper.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 11:17   #14
NigelDay
Premier Member

(Duplicate post)
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Sep 20th, 2016 at 11:20.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 11:19   #15
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
Providing your car was taxed & insured & you where not speeding, you should be ok going for a pre-booked MOT, but why let your MOT expire anyway ? with regards to these vans, buy a Snooper, great little things, mine alerts me of all types of fixed camera's, & all mobile vans including approaching schools, not that I speed anyway after last getting caught at 35 mph, that's when I got a Snooper.
Does the Snooper 'detect' the mobile van radar systems (not sure if this is legal) or does it have a database of approved locations for these mobile vans ? The vans cannot simply set up anywhere - they have to be pre-defined locations safely off the highway. I know my 'local locations' well.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 13:07   #16
Lawrence39

I managed to drive unwittingly for 4 months without an MOT. It was at at routine traffic stop that it came to light and I think the copper could see the genuine shock on my face. I asked if I could book it in immediately, which i did on the roadside with my mobile and took the car straight there. No points or fine, consider myself quite lucky that day.

The car sailed through the mot, being a well loved 850
Lawrence39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 13:17   #17
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Does the Snooper 'detect' the mobile van radar systems (not sure if this is legal) or does it have a database of approved locations for these mobile vans ? The vans cannot simply set up anywhere - they have to be pre-defined locations safely off the highway. I know my 'local locations' well.
According to their blurb they have both

http://www.snooper.co.uk/snooper-4ze...-detector.html
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 18:15   #18
green van man
Premier Member

I am in the position of the land rover having an expired mot and if not fixed by end of Oct will have to be sornd, it is still insured.
Even if neither all I need do is register my intention of presenting the car at my mot station, and I am coverd to drive directly there and back home hopefully with a new mot but still no tax.
If you get a letter just show proof of booked appointment and your good.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 18:51   #19
daveyonthemove

I think you need an MOT in order to buy tax, so you will probably be ok.
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 19:13   #20
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyonthemove View Post
I think you need an MOT in order to buy tax, so you will probably be ok.
Indeed you do and yes I will. I checked the situation with my mot station before starting the repairs to the landrover to be sure of things.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: