Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

City Safety....hmmm

Views : 1948

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2009, 17:27   #1
tangey

Default City Safety....hmmm

I've got a loan of an XC60 from my dealer for the weekend. Nice car and I'll probably buy one, been following it for about a year now, and now that I'm hitting the 3 year mark on my S60, its getting time to change.

Anyhow, I was approaching a small roundabout and I come across many times each day, entered the roundabout, and the guy waiting at the next entrance decided to come on ahead rather than wait for me to go buy. And he didn't even go that quickly. Its a roundabout of a size that if the person on the entrance before you decides to enter the roundabout, you really need to wait and not enter yourself...either that or give it plenty of welly.

Me being me I decided to show him how close he was to causing an accident, and as he came across the front of me, rather than immediately braking I left it as late as possible...something I do now and again to "teach 'em a lesson".

As I'm just about to apply the footbrake, "city safety" comes in and does its thing, coming off as I actually get a little movement on the brakepedal.

Now although I was juding it kindly close, there is no way I was at the point to be too late to brake....I'm not that stupid. It gave the guy coming onto the roundabout behind me a fright, as I was suddenly braking sharply.

My conclusion is that city safety was unable to identify that the car in front of me was tranversing me and would be shortly out of my path, all it knew was that there was an car that in its opinion I was about to hit.

I have to say it was a slightly worrying experience. City Safety actually nearly caused an accident in a situation that definitely wouldn't have resulted in one.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 18:11   #2
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Technology can't replace a human brain. It would have sensed that there was an object in front of you, and made a calculation based on your speed and the distance between you and the 'object' in your path.

I don't know how Volvo's new system is set up, but it may be programmed for the waste case scenario, perhaps considering things like the ground may be wet, your tyres might be worn, or you may be carrying a lot of weight and so need extra stopping distance.

On one hand things like that are a good thing. Driving in to work in the morning it is clear that a lot of drivers are still half asleep, or for whatever other reason their attention might be slipping, so in that sense a magic box that helps you out is a good thing. On the other hand when I'm behind the wheel, I like to be in charge of the car. I think my experience, intuition, judgment etc is better than can currently be achieved by a computer.

All that said, I do sort of look forward to the day when you can be sat in the pub drunk, text your car to come for you, go to sleep on the back seat and let it take you home, but I suspect that day is a long way off yet
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 19:46   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
I have to say it was a slightly worrying experience. City Safety actually nearly caused an accident in a situation that definitely wouldn't have resulted in one.
Many, including the police would say it was YOU who nearly caused an accident driving without due care and attention and consideration for other road users ( ok so was the other guy but two wrongs dont make a right, they make an accident )... Just the scenario that City Safety is designed to help prevent ..

The latest generation of City Safety will be 100% braking ( not 50% as now ) and also recognise pedestrians ..

Volvo’s pioneering City Safety technology has been named winner of the Best Car Safety Device
at the new Business Car Techies awards. City Safety is designed to minimise the risk of collisions
at low-speeds and is fitted as standard to all Volvo XC60 models.

Last edited by Clan; Oct 10th, 2009 at 19:51.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 22:46   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

Me being me I decided to show him how close he was to causing an accident, and as he came across the front of me, rather than immediately braking I left it as late as possible...something I do now and again to "teach 'em a lesson".
Really glad that I don't live in Belfast if this is an example of driving in a car that is not even owned by the driver!

Maybe the Police will teach you a lesson, that would a be a really good example of City Safety saving the people of Belfast from your vigilantism.

Last edited by wimorrison; Oct 10th, 2009 at 22:53.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 22:58   #5
John_C
Allons-y!

Surely you're just trolling? Someone is either being an arse or makes a mistake, in response you drive like an arse and then blame the city safety system for cutting in and preventing you intimidating another driver?
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 23:17   #6
tangey

Strange,

I report a possible weakness of the city safety system to see if anyone has any thoughts on it, and somehow my driving is the topic..weird. Appears people forgot the "there is no way I was at the point to be too late to brake" bit, but rather concentrated on the "left braking as late as possible", I guess people read what people want to read. perhaps I should have said "as late as was safely possible"...but I knew what I meant.

I am now apparently a vigilante in an XC60...nice bit of judgement there.

The conclusion that I drew from the experience is that city-safety was unable to ascertain that the car was going to get out of the way by the time I reached the spot where the car was, and clearly this is because it cannot judge lateral movement in an object (i.e. a car crossing your path), and as a result it applied the brake in a situation that didn't need it....something I feel was disconcerting. Does anyone actually think I was going to ram the side of car...and then come into he volvo users forum to recount the experience...well it appears people actually do think that...again I say, Weird.

For the record I've been driving for 30+ years, never made an insurance claim and never hit anything on the public road...I have hit one of those raised concrete things around a petrol pump doing about 4 MPH in a moment of misjudgment, I'm guessing that makes me a culprit of service station vigilantism.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 00:07   #7
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
The conclusion that I drew from the experience is that city-safety was unable to ascertain that the car was going to get out of the way by the time I reached the spot where the car was
With respect, and I'm not going to criticise you're driving, that assumption is based on the idea that the other driver is not going to slam his brakes on for some unknown reason (possibly release he'd made a mistake and panic in the worst possible way), or experience an engine failure (however unlikely it happens - it happened to me once).
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 08:18   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

well the closing speed and distance must have been within the programmed operationg conditions ..
At least you have experienced the system now , which is more than most people .. Its not something i would like to test on the road , even driving into that soft balloon is very un nerving and un-natural without braking .....
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 11:22   #9
ozovlov

Absurd

City safe is a collision avoidance system designed to avoid low speed collisions with objects before the vehicle. In this instance it has performed this function perfectly it would seem and somehow you consider this reason for criticism......? Then you consider others "strange" when they dare sugggest that the situation was, and you wilfully admit to this, one of your making.
Maybe its me but that in my view is *strange*.

No the system does not detect motion of objects in front of the vehicle, irrespective of direction or velocity. It is very simple...1. object detected 2. apply brakes.
Personally I can think of no better way of avoiding a collision than to follow these steps.
ozovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 12:27   #10
error-id10t

Funny thread, by the sounds of it .. it reacted exactly how advertised. But this is what I'm most interested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The latest generation of City Safety will be 100% braking ( not 50% as now ) and also recognise pedestrians ..
Is this something that can be updated via software/firmware for current models? Might follow up and ask.. can't see why not.
error-id10t is offline   Reply With Quote