Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power mirror retrofit

Views : 373

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2020, 09:36   #1
66Lover

Default Power mirror retrofit

Hi all,

I have a 91' 240 with manual mirrors.

I've recently come by a set of power mirrors to retro fit, replacing my manual items. Does anyone have any info on fitting power mirrors to a car originally without? I cant find a wiring diagram anywhere and unsure how they should be wired up, whether i need any relays etc.

Electric mirrors would originally have come with a separate loom. There's several pics floating around online but as all the harnesses are sheathed up, they're not a great deal of help other than with general layout.

Also complicating matters is the fact that the pair of powered mirrors i've picked up are different.... one has a round white plug (i presume an earlier power mirror without heating element) and the other has a black square plug with more wires (heated mirror?)*

I've got a set of adjusting switches but again i've heard there may be different types for power mirror / heated mirror?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Graham
66Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 10:28   #2
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Wiring diagram

Hi Graham,

According to the Book of Haynes (1991 edition) the mirror wiring diagram is as follows:

Colour codes:
GN - Green
Y - Yellow
W - White
BR - Brown(?) - It's not on the colour key
SB - Black
GR - Grey

There's nothing regarding the heater element wiring, though it should have either a separate switch and relay or be fed from the HRW circuit.

At the very least this should give you a starting point for the conversion.

I can't remember whether they're accessory or ignition live, but the heated mirror glass has two terminals for its wiring so the black plug is for a heated mirror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo240_Electric Mirrors_2.jpg (335.6 KB, 8 views)

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 15:34   #3
66Lover

Thanks Loki

Yeah, heated ones use a separate accessory switch and a timed relay. And you're right, the black square 5 wire plug is heated and the white round 4 wire plug is unheated, so I need to decide which direction i'm going in!

Big thanks for the diagram - gives me somewhere to start from.
66Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2020, 22:20   #4
cross-Member

Would you consider selling your manual mirrors when you have changed? I just can't completely make my mind up whether to remove the power ones from my '92 240 or not, otherwise I'd offer them as trade... Sorry.
I'm like that, I like less electrical things.
Not a very helpful post, I apologise.

Last edited by cross-Member; May 8th, 2020 at 22:22. Reason: further info
cross-Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2020, 19:54   #5
DOUGIE68

I have the loom for the mirrors. ( not for sale) but it is one feed from the fusebox to the switches then off to the round plugs and to the mirrors. No relays.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote