Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2017 XC60 Low Battery Charge

Views : 7749

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2020, 18:29   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I'm believe that the "Low Battery" warning is voltage based, and not solely driven by the BMS system which is more to control charging (or more specifically over charging). That was certainly the case on P2 models.

The message should go away if you take the car for a decent drive (30 mins +) as the battery will be re-charged from the alternator. If it doesn't - you should get the battery tested at somewhere where they have intelligent testers available (Halford, Kwik Fit, Dealer).

If you search this forum, it's not an uncommon problem...

There is a hack to reset the BMS system without a diagnostic tool which is shown here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9z5m78Szw

The video also shows why the BMS reset is only completed when the car is left locked for circa 8 hours - during this time the quiescent drain is reset and the SOC (state of charge) calculated from the voltage drop.

If anyone's going to post saying this isn't correct - please share you references - happy to eat humble pie in deference of credible documentation....................
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jun 4th, 2020 at 18:52.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 18:43   #12
Austin160
Master Member

Am I allowed to post an opinion that Baal’s tone of replies does not do this forum any favours?
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Austin160 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 18:55   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
Am I allowed to post an opinion that Baal’s tone of replies does not do this forum any favours?
I'm in the same place... This forum is about cars not people, when members lapse into talking negatively about people it discourages others from giving up their valuable time to help other members, especially the more novice members who are actually the people who should get the most benefit from the forum.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 08:33   #14
BlueDevil

To chip in on this one... 2016 xc60 here. Since Corona situation it was driven very little, so one day the low battery message popped up. Drove it fo like 70-80 km, until the start/stop became available, counting that it would mean the battery has been charged properly. Parked it (without allowing start/stop) around 7 PM - so no headlights were on yet, and was just driving till the batt charged itself. Next morning, 10 AM, I start the car and s/s was unavailable. Drove it for some 20-25 km in city, parked, S/S still not available. It was parked from say noon, the whole next day, and the day after in the morning I was greeted by low battery warning.
Drove it again in the city for 20-25 km, parked, next morning no warning but I drove it for 100km and the S/S still wasn't available. Next day went to a trip, mostly hwy, 150km each way, and the S/S was available when I parked around 4-5 PM. 2 days the car was parked, and when I came on the 3rd day - low battery.

Then I changed battery, and since then (it's 3 weeks now) S/S is constantly available, from the start in the morning, even if I let the car sit still from friday 4PM to sunday 5PM, no warnings, nothing.
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 09:31   #15
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
I was thinking the same. Not sure if it's down to his translation of English or if he means to come across as unpleasant
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 12:15   #16
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

With my moderator hat on, I will point out that there is no need for rudeness, whether intended or accidental.

My understanding (and experience) is that the low battery message is intuitive - take the car out for an extended drive, and it will go away. Let it sit for a long time, and it will reappear. If you are seeing it consistently in normal use (even with relatively short journeys), your battery is likely to be getting tired. My car is used pretty heavily under normal conditions, and I never see the message. Since I haven't been travelling as much under lockdown, I have started to see the message more often. I suspect my battery is getting tired, but my normal usage masks the issue.

Most modern cars use AGM batteries, which don't last as long (and are more expensive to replace, naturally). A really good quality conventional lead acid battery will easily do 10 years if the car is used fairly intensively, but you can knock a few years off that for an AGM battery. Progress...!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 15:43   #17
moosehead74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal View Post
Then replace the damn battery!

This sensor tells the car to display Battery low! message. Get it now?

If the voltage on the battery drops too low, the sensor will remember that even if you did charge your battery. The only way to get rid of this message is to reset it, it needs to be reset every time you change your battery.
This is not very helpful and not what I would expect from a friendly forum. Please read my original post. Battery voltage is 12.6V after leaving vehicle for several days. After long run and left overnight 12.7 - 12.8V which by reckoning is a fully charged battery. Battery clearly doesn't need replacing!
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 15:50   #18
moosehead74

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead74 View Post
This is not very helpful and not what I would expect from a friendly forum. Please read my original post. Battery voltage is 12.6V after leaving vehicle for several days. After long run and left overnight 12.7 - 12.8V which by reckoning is a fully charged battery. Battery clearly doesn't need replacing!
My original question was also about the auxiliary battery (never had vehicle with two batteries). I was also asking if anyone knew how this battery was charged? Is there a separate BMS for this unit and could the 'low battery charge' message relate to this battery? Obviously when I measure the battery voltage it is the main starter battery. If the radio was running off the auxiliary battery (not sure if it does) when the engine's off could this be the cause?

The auxiliary battery has a much lower Ah rating and I guess wouldn't take much for it's potential difference to drop.
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 15:52   #19
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead74 View Post
Did you follow Tannaton's advice on resetting the BMS by following the YouTube guide?

Although it does seem like an odd sequence of actions (!) I followed it a few months ago when I became fed up of almost constant 'low battery' warnings, even after long runs and it did actually work, although admittedly now we've been in lockdown for a while I've noticed that the warnings have returned due to the car having had little use.
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 15:55   #20
moosehead74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Did you follow Tannaton's advice on resetting the BMS by following the YouTube guide?

Although it does seem like an odd sequence of actions (!) I followed it a few months ago when I became fed up of almost constant 'low battery' warnings, even after long runs and it did actually work, although admittedly now we've been in lockdown for a while I've noticed that the warnings have returned due to the car having had little use.
Not yet. I have discussed it with the dealer several times when it's been in for service. they just reassure me each time nothings wrong. It's just a bit disconcerting when you are sat there listening to the radio, warning comes up and shortly after the infotainment system shuts down. As I mentioned, could it be related to the auxiliary battery if this powers the radio when the engines off?