Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo v70 2000 2.5tdi classic - transmission fluid

Views : 497

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2018, 22:52   #1
ConwayV70

Default Volvo v70 2000 2.5tdi classic - transmission fluid

Sorry guys - I’m sure this as been discussed in the forums somewhere but I couldn’t find the answer.

I have a 2.5v70 classic year 2000 where I have had to take out the drive shaft ( drivers side). I had the car jacked up but seemed to have lost a bit of fluid. I had read somewhere that it would t just leak out so guess that was wrong!

I have two questions.

1. What fluid should I use to top it back up. It seems to be 75w 80 gl4 from what I have read online. Most recommending the volvo fluid specific to the model.

2. Does the v70 have a dip stick accessible from right side of engine bay. I Know the v70r automatic has this but not sure about the v70 manual. Could be a plug accessible from underneath. I know I should look myself.

I don’t intend doing any flush, just want to put the shaft back in and top up te lost fluid. Ideally with the correct compatible fluid for my car.

Thanks for the advise.
ConwayV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 20:19   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

Can't help as far as gearbox oil is concerned,but manual box won't have a dipstick.It will have a combined level/filler plug on the side of it.With the car level remove filler/level plug oil should just trickle out if not then add oil slowly until it does then refit plug.Unlike an automatic box you don't need to have the gearbox warm or the engine running to check this.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 21:00   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

Just get the correct oil from Volvo, you then know it is right.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 22:30   #4
ConwayV70

Thanks,

Halfords do a 75W80 oil by Comma which should be compatible if I can’t get the oil from volvo.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10001
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 14:40   #5
ConwayV70

Got my driveshaft back in and tried to top up the gear oil but when I removed the plug there was excess fluid coming out. Tried jacking it up higher on one side but even then oil was still coming out. So I guess there was plenty in the box. Unless I’m missing something. And yes I took out the plug which is a third the way up the side of the casing and not the bottom drain plug!
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 18:05   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

You did have the car level didn't you? and not just the front end on ramps/axle stands/whatever.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote