Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I buy an XC60??

Views : 3128

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2009, 21:28   #1
Foringo

Default Should I buy an XC60??

Hi Everybody..first & maybe last post but I hope not I'm going to have test drive tomorrow of an XC60 to see what I think of it. I've read a lot of conflicting reviews, some say the ride and refinement are good and the others the complete opposite & that the 2.4 diesel is a bit rough, noisy and long in the tooth with a slow auto...but of course it's my opinion that counts! I currently drive a Audi A4 V6 2.7TDI ('08) with a cvt multitronic auto which is a great combination and with its superb interior it will take some beating. However I'm now looking for another quality car with some seats that are bit more comfortable and also more interior space and practicality. I read elsewhere on the forum about the electronic handbrake and lack of dipstick....similar to my Audi. I like electronic parking brakes but I was hoping for a real dipstick again! Model I'm thinking of buying is Diesel SE Lux Premium (2WD)..I used to have an X-Trail 4 X 4 but never really made use of the added traction. I walked around a XC60 at the showroom last week and was impressed, liked the styling and looks less of a repmobile...but tomorrow will tell. Is everybody who bought a XC6O pleased with their choice ...or any regrets?
Foringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 22:34   #2
Ron 98

I've just changed from a 2007 BMW 3 series 330d (6 cylinders, 231 hp) coupe to a D5 AWD SE Lux Premium XC60. The BMW beats it on handling, looks and (marginally) fuel consumption: but that's about it. For refinement, space, versatility and comfort the XC60 is easily ahead. The criticisms of the "old" D5 engine may have been valid but the new twin-turbo D5 engine which comes as standard these days is a completely different proposition.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 00:08   #3
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I am certainly pleased with my D5 SE Lux Premium.

Comfortable seats, quiet cabin, quality materials (and I mean quality - beats the MB I had several times over!), reasonable good on fuel (come on, it is a 4x4 and heavy) and pretty brisk too. Overtaking is NOT a problem.

Looks really good to with some very interesting lines.

Go for it.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 09:50   #4
Nice But Dim

I have no regrets at all - fantastic quality - great drive. And amazing economy from the 2wd DRVe 45mpg from my 25 mile commute.

Previously
XC60 MY2010 2.4D Drive SE, Saville Grey, leather, sunroof, front & rear sensors, family pack
Nice But Dim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 22:07   #5
Foringo

Thanks for your comments Guys...Went for the test drive today and was impressed. Seats were comfortable as expected and generally very good to drive...it was great to be able to sail over the speed humps rather than worry about the front spoiler. Not sure if the engine is that much noisier than my A4, but the D5 actually sounds quite sporting. Instrument dials looked a little dark to me as my A4's are back lit but I think I could get used to that. The compass in the mirror was annoying at first but didn't notice after a while (can this be switched off?). Geartronic appeared to change smoothly enough. I had a test drive in an Audi Q5 directly afterwards but it didn't appear as roomy, but it was very much more expensive for a similar spec and I don't think offered value for money compared with the XC60. Also looked at the XC90 but parking would be a pain and XC60 looked better to me. Now need to make a decision....spec would be a D5 AWD SE Premium with front & rear sensors, winter pack with xenons & negotiated that dealer throw in roof bars, Hi Performance Audio & 6 x CD. Laying bathroom floor tiles tomorrow but will need to make sure I can concentrate!
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 20:57   #6
Foringo

Well I'm now committed! I've now placed an order for my first Volvo...an XC60 SE Lux AWD in Barents Blue. I was going for the SE but realized that with the options I was going for that it would only cost me another £600 to go for the Lux (I always end up spending more than I intended to!) Just hope the ride doesn't suffer too much from the 18" wheels! Now looking forward to picking it up.

Look forward to being a regular reader of this forum...just hope most of it isn't problem related
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 21:28   #7
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo
"T, I, double Grr, Err."

A good choice!

It really ticks me off when "knowledgeable" journalists refer to the D5 engine as "old fashioned". I've had three of these engines in a row over the last 6 1/2 years in V70 D5's, done loads of miles and absolutely love them! They are powerful, extremely light (no cast iron here), durable and utterly characterful In the words of the great Alec Issigonis "Fashion dates, good design doesn't!".

The new V70 is no use for me (the boot's too small), but I will do whatever I have to to keep a D5 and that will probably mean an XC60 when I am forced to give up my '07 V70. The fact that the 2WD version emits only 159g is simply the icing on the cake for me!

Tigger.

Last edited by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo; Sep 18th, 2009 at 21:33. Reason: Clarification
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 21:44   #8
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo
"T, I, double Grr, Err."

Just another thought, I'm sorry to hear that it no longer has no dipstick, but it's probably no surprise. It's seems there are too many people out there who wouldn't know how to use one, even if they knew where is was!!

The manufacturer is probably better off with an electronic method of monitoring oil level. At least, that way, they can have ECU logged evidence of neglect when the oil level is ignored during the interstellar service intervals! That should help them with warranty claim disputes!

Tigger.

Last edited by Tigger,Eeyore&Roo; Sep 18th, 2009 at 21:51.
Tigger,Eeyore&Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 22:30   #9
Pebble

The bright green compass can be switched off via the reset button on the bottom of the mirror. Page 97 of the owners manual describes a short press of the reset button with a paper clip will activate or deactivate the compass display.

Have had my new XC60 for a week now and was getting fed up with the bright green light in the rear view mirror - so ploughed through the manual this evening.