Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil Level Poll

Views : 524534

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have you had the excess oil issue?
Yes 190 37.04%
No 323 62.96%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 6th, 2011, 22:15   #131
coldair

Default yep got the letter last week

Heading to vovo dealer this week for recall work for oil problem
noticed about 3 weeks ago that oil was above the max level on dip stick
thought that garage had mabe overfilled it checked it the same day i got the letter in and it is now about level with the top of the dip stick 25mm above the top mark

Now the only thing it can be is diesel in the oil. Fuel consumption has droped from 33.6mpg to 30 mpg ( i thought the wife had been raceing with it )

Now to me just draining out a few litres of oil aint going to be enough they will have to drain the system & refill with new oil as the viscosity of the oil will be more like hydralic oil
Has anyone had the oil completly drained & refilled with new oil ? only done 5000 miles since last service
this is the xc 60 2.4 D 205 is other engines affected as well ?
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 11:05   #132
Chris47
VOC Member

Default Engine Oil Poll

Yes, just got the recall from Lookers Colchester for this "Diesel Engine Upgrade". I checked and it's the old oil level issue. Car goes in on Thursday.
Chris47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 20:36   #133

Has anyone seen any in gear times for the 215 manual so I can compare to the 163 ?
Thanks
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 23:00   #134
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Has anyone seen any in gear times for the 215 manual so I can compare to the 163 ?
Thanks
Hi 12345

im gonna post soon when i get a passenger and a stopwatch.!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:56   #135
RDRcontact

I am bumping an old thread here. The last post is almost 1 yr old

I've read about the rising oil level issues on XC60 - it concerns me a bit as I will be picking up a used MY2010 in just a few days.

I've checked the electronic oil level indicator (it took me some time to figure how this should be done ) it was showing the oil level to be at the MAX but not a notch above.

When I've checked the car at the dealer - I asked for the latest software to be installed so now I have: V30788940 version.

Can you please confirm that the rising oil level problem is remedied with the isntallment of updated software? I have the latest update so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it would not happen to me.

Thanks!
RDRcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 22:30   #136
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

RDRContact, I guess the fact that the last post was in Feb 2011 that related to the oil level issue is an indication that it has run its course and been resolved now

Enjoy the car, you will find it is everything that this forum suggests.
Old May 7th, 2012, 22:56   #137
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDRcontact View Post
I am bumping an old thread here. The last post is almost 1 yr old

I've read about the rising oil level issues on XC60 - it concerns me a bit as I will be picking up a used MY2010 in just a few days.

I've checked the electronic oil level indicator (it took me some time to figure how this should be done ) it was showing the oil level to be at the MAX but not a notch above.

When I've checked the car at the dealer - I asked for the latest software to be installed so now I have: V30788940 version.

Can you please confirm that the rising oil level problem is remedied with the isntallment of updated software? I have the latest update so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it would not happen to me.

Thanks!
Hi RDR

The issue has not gone away.I have had the rising oil issue with an 11MY

From what I know, the 'update' involves filling with oil to the 3/4 mark and 'making' the electronic readout read max. Its made to read max so people do not 'top up' and manually recreate the issue.

One reason for the rising oil issue is that after a failed regen of the DPF, the diesel it uses drains back into the sump - hence it rises.This 3/4 fill level allows for diesel contaminating the oil and allows for a rise without going over maximum.

Not really a cure - more a workaround.

A failed regen happens if the car is used for a lot of urban use,tries to do a regen,then the engine is switched off mid way..ie you go shopping,car starts a regen,you arrive at supermarket 5 mins later,thus regen not complete.

Its advised for the car to do longer trips, and also drive the car hard from time to time,thus allowing the dpf regen to fully run its course.

Regards
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2012, 23:16   #138
RDRcontact

thanks both for your replies.

I'll keep an eye on the oil level. I assume that the software readout could be easily verified by checking the actual level on the oil stick (not sure if this is the proper English term).

I also think that if there is a problem with contaminated with diesel oil it could be remedied by changing the oil plus filters (perhaps manual regeneration procedure or change of the DPF?) Is this correct or it is more complicated than I think?

Wimorrison, I am getting very impatient to get the car ... One more day left to wait!

All the best!
Old May 7th, 2012, 23:25   #139
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDRcontact View Post
thanks both for your replies.

I'll keep an eye on the oil level. I assume that the software readout could be easily verified by checking the actual level on the oil stick (not sure if this is the proper English term).

I also think that if there is a problem with contaminated with diesel oil it could be remedied by changing the oil plus filters (perhaps manual regeneration procedure or change of the DPF?) Is this correct or it is more complicated than I think?

Wimorrison, I am getting very impatient to get the car ... One more day left to wait!

All the best!
I think they only do a 'forced regen' at the garage after the 2nd time.

Regards the quality of the oil,it has been suggested that the oil is 'good enough' quality to accept contamination with diesel.Thats why apparently its the spec it is.

Not sure I agree with this line of thinking mind.

Regards
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:03   #140
RDRcontact

You are absolutely right - this is unacceptable. When I mentioned this issue to my dealer, he said that this problem is attributed mostly to the biodiesel qualities (a convenient excuse perhaps?) so there is a general awareness about the rising oil problem but it is kept under the radar by the dealers.

I will keep you posted if I encounter this problem.

I am really happy that I've found this forum - tons of useful info for a Volvo newbie as me It looks like Volvo owners are quite helpful group of people Thanks for your replies!

Best