Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought V60 D6 Hybrid

Views : 19168

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2015, 10:51   #11
DieselElectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS80 View Post
If you haven't already seen it, CAR magazine have one on long term test, which may be of interest to you;

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...m-test-review/
That article says:
"The V60 hybrid’s boot doesn’t even have space for a can of sealant, given it’s packed with batteries"
I think he needs to RTFM. There's sealant and a compressor in a side compartment. I've used the latter but only because a friend's car had a flat.

And this... "According to British Gas, the cost to me would be a trifling £115 for a 16amp charger, or £214 for a 30amp charger, which would juice the V60 in five hours"...
AFAIK, the V60 charging system maxes out at 16amps.

One, rather ironic, important tip:
If you are using the VOC app to set the times your car charges up, e.g. to use off-peak power, turn it off before you go away on holidays. In less than a week, I've twice come back to a completely flat 12V battery.

The dealer contacted Volvo and found out that when the timer is set, the car frequently wakes up the entire 12V system to check if it's time to charge the main battery. After a few days this is enough to drain the 12V battery so much that finally the alarm goes off and flattens it completely. You then have to use the the mechanical key to get into the car which is not fun if the passenger door is quite close to a wall.

Turning off the timer while you're away seems to solve it. My dealer has told me a software fix is "on the way" but at least the work-around helps.

DE.

PS: I don't do very many miles and regularly charge the battery but, depending on what display I look at, the car's currently getting between 1.9 and 2.0 l/100km (which seems to be well over 130mpg) plus about 0.3kWh per km. Obviously you won't get that with long journeys but it works brilliantly for me.

PPS: Sorry about the metric figures but the info display on the centre screen is much better in metric mode.

Last edited by DieselElectric; Oct 5th, 2015 at 11:07.
DieselElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselElectric For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 14:31   #12
johng007

Thanks everybody for some good advice, especially on downloading the manual, and battery warning from DE. It has prompted me to ask quite a few questions:
  • Can VoC app both set a repeat timer, and initiate an immediate charge if car is simply left plugged in? (Reason I ask is I am both on Economy7 and have a 10kw PV array so would take advantage when weather brightens)
  • Is it easy to set preconditioning on say 10 mins before departure with VoC or PCC?
  • Read the driver support chapter and it went way over my head, especially the ACC bit. And I thought I was a gadget geek! Hopefully forumites have good experiences of this feature?
  • Can anybody recommend where to buy a 16A charging point from as I am sure I read somewhere in here that there are far more options than British Gas?
  • My D6 is registered Dec 14. Does this mean it automatically has pre-conditioning from PCC and VoC rather than me having to request an upgrade?

Unusually excited about this new car as it also ticks my Eco warrior boxes having the PV array (and hopefully not starting a flame war on eco credentials of any internal combustion engined or battery-powered car...)

Picking up Saturday.

Cheers .. John.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 15:11   #13
johng007

Aha .. answering one of my own questions ... www.zap-map.com seems full of useful contact info about charging station suppliers...
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 18:45   #14
Charlie70

From my limited experience:

I'm using the app for http://openchargemap.org/site/ . They seem to be reasonably accurate in my neck of the woods.

I've only got a normal household socket on it's own breaker in garage but it'll charge at 10amps and longest charge was 6 hours when it was flat. I have a Mennekes Type 2 cable but that's for out and about. Some shops in Belgium, IKEA for example have free charging.

VOC has an app and Android Wear app which allows me to start the precon. while I'm having breakfast so I've not used the timer.

I don't think you can start or stop the charging remotely. I assume it's a safety aspect that you have to be at the car to start/stop it via the remote.

I've not had the courage to try the ACC yet. One step at a time.
Charlie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 19:20   #15
DieselElectric

As per Charlie, I just use the 3-pin charging cable when at home and, overnight, usually set it to just 6 amps or occasionally 8.

I also have a type2 for street charging but I usually find I have to carry the 3pin as well as many of the posts have one of each type. Lately the Type2 sockets nearly always seem to be in use (and judging by the display of the power supplied, for a long time. Don't these Leafs, i3s and Zoes have a home to go to? ;-)

The VOC app can record up to 8 (I think) known charging locations where you can opt to set either a reminder that you've forgotten to plug your car in or to only charge the car between certain hours. I've only got one set up for my house.
You can however, override the charge timer and tell it to "start charging now", if you want, but I don't know if it also allows you to remotely stop the charging as I've never actually checked.

For the preconditioning, the VOC app does have a "turn on (or off) preconditioning now" button as well as being set up the pre-con timer remotely. It may that the weather's been too mild for it to actually turn on, but I'm not 100% certain the car always gets the message.
DieselElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 21:48   #16
Andy4321

Welcome to the fold John, as has already been said, there isn't many of us on here!

After 29000 miles I'm averaging 61.5mpg, which given the performance on offer is fine for me.

Enjoy getting to know the car, the manual is a must for ploughing through.

Andrew
Andy4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 20:49   #17
CDJ

Default This is what worries me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4321 View Post
Welcome to the fold John, as has already been said, there isn't many of us on here!

After 29000 miles I'm averaging 61.5mpg, which given the performance on offer is fine for me.

Enjoy getting to know the car, the manual is a must for ploughing through.

Andrew
I keep thinking I want a hybrid, but when I see the prices combined with the real world mileage it just doesn't seem to add up...
CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 21:50   #18
Turnwood

It really does depend on your individual circumstances. If your commute is 20 miles each way and you can charge it up at work then most days you might get away without using any fuel at all. I thought about a plug in hybrid before buying the V60 D4, but the same as you, the numbers didnt quite add up. The new Tesla Model 3 together with the new battery tech being developed at the Gigafactory could be a game changer - I would probably rather go pure electric and lose the ICE all together. The model S and now X are both next gen cars - out of reach on price for most though. Hybrid and then pure electric will be the norm in the next 10 or so years.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 21:57   #19
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
It really does depend on your individual circumstances. If your commute is 20 miles each way and you can charge it up at work then most days you might get away without using any fuel at all. I thought about a plug in hybrid before buying the V60 D4, but the same as you, the numbers didnt quite add up. The new Tesla Model 3 together with the new battery tech being developed at the Gigafactory could be a game changer - I would probably rather go pure electric and lose the ICE all together. The model S and now X are both next gen cars - out of reach on price for most though. Hybrid and then pure electric will be the norm in the next 10 or so years.
I hope not.

I hate the thought of electric cars.

I think it will take a lot longer than 10 years for them to outnumber petrol/diesel cars.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 10:17   #20
Considered1
Premier Member

Pulling away in an electric/hybrid car is just fantastic as you learn to glide everywhere, so quiet. Their is a Nissan leaf in our village which leaves me for dead pulling onto the main road..
show me a waiting list for T8 Hybrid XC60 and I'll be on it.
It's a new life, it's a new day, and I'm feeling good....
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote