Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brighten your headlamps, for free!

Views : 18733

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2018, 16:06   #71
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post
Did mine this way at the weekend but didn't seem to make a difference.
I wanted to raise them a bit so did 1 turn clockwise on the black hex.
Is this correct i.e clockwise up anticlockwise down?
You'll have to experiment with it, I remember is that it was the opposite way round from how the white adjusters work. I think I turned it clockwise??

1 turn won't make a noticeable difference, with the black hex adjusters I had to turn it many more times, maybe something like 6 times to get it from pointing right down, to pointing correctly matching the other side.

I did this by parking in dim light / night facing a wall and then keeping the engine on and the headlights connected but undoing the metal peg. loosening them up and adjusting before loosely placing back to check if it matched the other light etc..

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 10:21   #72
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post
Did mine this way at the weekend but didn't seem to make a difference.
I wanted to raise them a bit so did 1 turn clockwise on the black hex.
Is this correct i.e clockwise up anticlockwise down?
Yes, clockwise on black hex will raise them. How far away were you from wall when turning that adjuster? Its recommended you are 25ft (8m) away from wall to adjust headlights and only then you can see the proper movement of cutoff when adjuster is turned.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 08:39   #73
RichT4
Sunny Days!

So whilst it's nice knowing how to adjust these headlights, nobody has mentioned the answer to the motor question.
Like on my cars, there should be a motor that raises and lowers the headlights whilst you are driving. (Using the dial on the dash).
Does anyone know where the motor sits? So it can be replaced if need be.

TIA
RichT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 12:13   #74
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT4 View Post
So whilst it's nice knowing how to adjust these headlights, nobody has mentioned the answer to the motor question.
Like on my cars, there should be a motor that raises and lowers the headlights whilst you are driving. (Using the dial on the dash).
Does anyone know where the motor sits? So it can be replaced if need be.

TIA
it sits in actual headlamp, I marked it out for you (hard to see with all those wires but its outlined in red).
No clue how to properly take it out (by properly I mean not-damaging plastics). When you have a look in your headlamp you will immediately see how its connected and how it works, its like a plastic ball-joint that is attached to pivoting part of headlamp. Problem is it just looks like it wanna snap on any attempt of removal. Im sure its possible, just dont know how to approach it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 - Copy.jpg (270.8 KB, 150 views)
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 21:04   #75
RichT4
Sunny Days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
it sits in actual headlamp, I marked it out for you (hard to see with all those wires but its outlined in red).
No clue how to properly take it out (by properly I mean not-damaging plastics). When you have a look in your headlamp you will immediately see how its connected and how it works, its like a plastic ball-joint that is attached to pivoting part of headlamp. Problem is it just looks like it wanna snap on any attempt of removal. Im sure its possible, just dont know how to approach it.

Thank you, I shall have to have a look and see if I can either fix it or replace it.
RichT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 10:30   #76
Geoffherbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
*HINT*
Start from 2nd page on this thread as my 1st set of pic went down. :P

Replacing projectors is really easy, problem is finding either a good set of used ones (most will be burnt or damaged) or getting a pricey aftermarket ones.
you DONT have to go HID, easiest and cheapest option is set of H7 from retrofilab and will work pretty well with H7 (see T5R's thread).
Hi Lizard of Bodom, thanks for the great advice. I have standard (non xenon) lights and am looking to buy a set of the standard H7 projectors from retrofitlab. The main option suggests they are bi-xenon but then the options suggest an H7 - is that bi-xenon H7 or standard halogen H7? I thought you might know since you’ve ordered the same, although I’ve asked retrofitlab as well.

Thanks In advance
Geoff
Geoffherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 15:06   #77
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffherbert View Post
Hi Lizard of Bodom, thanks for the great advice. I have standard (non xenon) lights and am looking to buy a set of the standard H7 projectors from retrofitlab. The main option suggests they are bi-xenon but then the options suggest an H7 - is that bi-xenon H7 or standard halogen H7? I thought you might know since you’ve ordered the same, although I’ve asked retrofitlab as well.

Thanks In advance
Geoff
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286619
try this thread and https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/aharo...-design-1.html link in particular with
Quote:
OK so I've just swapped out the original crappy projector headlamps with these ones (H7 version in the dropdown box) and below is the result.
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 21:50   #78
Geoffherbert

Thanks Andy; ordered! I remember reading that post before but couldn’t find it! Can’t wait to be able to see in the dark again!
Geoffherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geoffherbert For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 02:10   #79
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffherbert View Post
Thanks Andy; ordered! I remember reading that post before but couldn’t find it! Can’t wait to be able to see in the dark again!
IF it is at all possible to let us All know your findings and "fun" if any fitting them
photos and a thread if your feeling like it, or add to this one your findings/flustrations as there are more of us out there with candle power V50 "lights" than with Lights that Work as light should *(me included, despite new units they are Still, candle power )
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 00:21   #80
Bigchewie

How i spent a Sat night at the beginning of December,

Before

After

safe to say that and some new philips 150% bulbs to replace the nightbreakers was like night and day, honestly cant believe the difference.

Last edited by Bigchewie; Jan 9th, 2019 at 00:24. Reason: to fix massive picture size
Bigchewie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigchewie For This Useful Post: