Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel vibration

Views : 320

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 15:11   #1
meddyliol

Question Wheel vibration

Since I had an MOT (the car not me) and had new tyres fitted I notice a vibration when braking. It passed the MOT but they mentioned that the discs were worn and pitted. They were worn and pitted before the MOT and I didn't notice any vibration then so could it be something else? As a matter of interest how much does it cost for new discs fitted? Not at a Volvo garage though.

Thanks

Brian
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 19:56   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

Where did they fit the tyres front or rear ?
did they ballance them,, if not go back and give them a bolloxing and twice if they use "knock on" weights on an alloy wheel,

you can get the disks and pads online, depends What size you need 278mm 300mm 320mm
and pads to suit

prices range from "thats cheap" for the really crap ones to "no i only want pads and disks not 4 cars" for volvo ones,,
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 08:39   #3
meddyliol

The tyres were fitted front and back. My experience with out of balance tyres is that when you get to a certain speed they vibrate. Mine don't do that, only when braking. Are you suggesting to buy the discs online and fit them myself? Or, buy them on line and get a garage to fit them. In the olden days I would have no problem fitting them but am getting too old now. Thanks for your reply by the way.

Thanks

Brian
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 16:22   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Brian
when you find the size of your disks and the pads to match, certainly buy online and get them fitted at a trusted garage if thats a cheaper alternative

The pads/disks really aren't That much of a back ache to change

try https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/volvopartstrade

for pads/disks , if you supply them the reg number in a message they will confirm which size fits your V50 they are gen volvo parts,

for my v50 , i can get a set of gen volvo ones With pads far cheaper than some aftermarket makes

if its only vibrating when you apply the brakes, it does point to warped pads, or perhaps when they refitted the wheels there's something out of alignment, (but not That likely)
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 21:55   #5
CJL
Master Member

Overtightening the wheel nuts, or uneven torque can cause problems like this.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 08:56   #6
meddyliol

OK chaps, thanks for your answers. I must have a good think about this.