Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New panel following accident - how do they do it?

Views : 1957

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 15:27   #1
XC60Owner

Default New panel following accident - how do they do it?

Hi All,

So I need a new rear wing / quarter panel on my XC60 following a minor accident. Panel includes rear wheel arch and seems to flow all the way along the roof to the front of the windscreen and both side doors appear to fit into it. Unless I am missing something it looks like most of the side of the car!

I'm a bit worried about the implications of this, presumably this is a major piece of work, looks like all the seats, headlining etc.. will need to be removed as they all seem to touch this panel on the inside of the car.

Dealer says new panel is nothing to worry about, standard job, will come matt black and it will be sprayed on the car. I am wondering a few things.

Why don't they spray the panel off the car, as presumably lots of interior bits like the insteps and pillars need spraying so how do they mask off the inside of the car?

Should I worry about damage being caused to other parts of the car when this is done (and check carefully for such on collection) or is this really just a simple job?

Last edited by XC60Owner; Jun 3rd, 2009 at 17:10.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 18:55   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

they will cut the original panel somewhere near the damage and just weld in a part wing ... this saves disturbing the factory welds and corrosion treatments as little as possible and saves them time of course .
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 20:24   #3
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
they will cut the original panel somewhere near the damage and just weld in a part wing ... this saves disturbing the factory welds and corrosion treatments as little as possible and saves them time of course .
Surely not. On a 5 month old car! I have been told they are replacing the entire panel. How could they possibly cut and replace without leaving a trace?!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 21:04   #4
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

In the hands of a skilled welder modern welding equipment can be used to weld through the middle of a mild-steel panel without leaving any distortion; it is then just a matter of spraying to match.

Hth and kind regards, C.A.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 21:14   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

the whole side of the car is made in one part they cant change the whole side of the car so repair panels are available to make the job cheaper and quicker to repair . Imagine the labour time to change the whole side of the car when probably 80% of it is ok .
I wouldnt want all those factory welded and sealed joints disturbed . That's the skill of a body repair person of which one is joining panels ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo panels.jpg (149.4 KB, 64 views)
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 21:31   #6
XC60Owner

Quote:
the whole side of the car is made in one part they cant change the whole side of the car so repair panels are available to make the job cheaper and quicker to repair . Imagine the labour time to change the whole side of the car when probably 80% of it is ok .
I wouldnt want all those factory welded and sealed joints disturbed . That's the skill of a body repair person of which one is joining panels ..
Ah I see, thanks for the pictures, it makes it much clearer (where did you get the image by the way?). I need an XC60 equivalent of section 4. That is actually quote good, I had visions of windscreen removal, new door pillars etc.. As long as the join on the roof is perfect then I'll be happy.

Last edited by XC60Owner; Jun 3rd, 2009 at 21:38.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 21:38   #7
XC60Owner

Lets see if I can work out how to upload pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of IMG_8110.JPG (289.2 KB, 115 views)
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 21:40   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

ohh it makes me ill just to look at that , I'm sure it will be un noticable after the repair , by a volvo approved bodyshop i hope :-)
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 21:53   #9
XC60Owner

Quote:
ohh it makes me ill just to look at that , I'm sure it will be un noticable after the repair , by a volvo approved bodyshop i hope :-)
Me too! The wife opened the phone call with "you are going to kill me ...."
Hildenborough Volvo in Kent is where I bought the car so am planning on taking it to them.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 15:00   #10
AB-UK
Premier Member

A friend of mine at University (many years ago) performed similar surgey on his MG Midget. He had to cut out a section of the rear wing and weld-in a replacement - when it had been resprayed the join was completely invisible.
I'm sure Volvo will do a good job - woudn't be a good advertisement for them otherwise.

I have a couple of car-park dings in my rear passenger door - repair cost quote is over £500 because of the need for careful respraying of the whole side of my XC90 so it blends in. I'm not in a rush - I'm waiting for a lottery win first!
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote