Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Researching for an XC60 Purchase

Views : 2637

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2009, 22:10   #11
sug77

Hi Folks

Well I did the Test drive. On the Saturday what I thought was the Geartronic version of the Drive was in fact the D5 AWD. This was very horrible to drive. It felt uneasy at speeds above 60mph. I was only comfortable with this car at speeds of about 50mph or less. This put me off the X60 and I started to look eslewhere. Has anyone else experienced this with the D5 AWD?

But I had already booked in a test drive of the Manual Drive for the Sunday. So I did this expecting the same bad performance. Now the car this time was the actual Drive version of the car. And the drive was very good. I was able to cruise smoothly at 70mph. It did not seem that the engine had to put a lot of effort in it. I was impressed with this engine. So this is number one in my list. (I think I prefer the manual - as I like the feeling of being in control).

In one of my X60 there was the sat nav and I tried it. Well it has the WORST user interface that I have tried. No touch screen and control with the streeing wheel was difficult at best. Even after this I could not follow the map that was shown. So this option is off my list, and I will just go for Bluetooth. This is a shame as I would have loved a good integrated sat nav system. Let's hope volvo or some good aftermarket retro-fitters produce something more sensible. I have seen some message about an integrated Garmin solution with a touch screen. Please can someone bring that to the UK.

Also Guys I am now deciding between between the SE and SE LUX (my partner is now thinking about leather rather a straight NO). So I am just costing things to see which is of more value. I have seen SE LUX trim on the demo cars but not the SE trim. I noted on the SE trim we do not get Chrome Mannequin on Centre Console (What is this?) and we do not get Chronograph Intrument dials (again What is this?). How do these look on SE trim.

Regards
Suhg
sug77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 06:41   #12
Ron 98

My XC60 is the D5 AWD with 6-speed manual gearbox, and it's rock-solid at all speeds.

Although I think that a Lexus-style touchscreen is definitely the best way to control a satnav, I have got used to the Volvo's interface now (but there again, I thought that the BMW i-Drive system was OK to use whereas Jeremy Clarkson calls it the i-Distract-and-Crash, so perhaps I'm just gifted ). In my opinion, the Volvo DVD satnav really disappoints in three other areas: (1) the intrusiveness of the voice reminders - these are usually at 400 and 200 yards so you are effectively subjected to continuous commentary approaching every junction; (2) the ineffectiveness of the live traffic update service, which has tried to take me through road blockages which have been in place for months (e.g., Edinburgh Tram works); and finally (3) the currency and accuracy of the maps, which miss out significant bits of not very new road (e.g., the A68 Dalkeith bypass, opened in September 2008).

The chrome mannequin is the tubby little schematic of a person on the centre stack which controls air distribution -

The chronograph instruments are the "wrist watch"-style set up unique to the SE Lux. They have a kind of gunmetal outer bezel and an LCD centre containing the fuel gauge, warning messages, and what-not. They're OK but given the choice I'd prefer a regular analogue arrangement with gauges for coolant temperature, oil pressure, and an ammeter. I'm also a little bit sceptical about the legibility of the chronograph dials after dark. Anyway, here's a picture showing the metallic bezels -

There's a better selection of dashboard shots at http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=73235&page=2

Last edited by Ron 98; Sep 15th, 2009 at 06:51.
Ron 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron 98 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:04   #13
NewVolvo
VOC Member

My D5 SE Lux is very very stable at speeds. Perhaps it depends on wheel size? The SE having 17" as standard and the SE Lux 18".

Personally I prefer the Sat Nav system I had in MB, really good and easy to move around.

The Volvo system is not bad I think with clear maps and lots of info on there, but the 400 and 200 yard instructions are annoying as at high speeds they repeat themselves almost straight after each other.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:18   #14
ak888

I should get my D5 in a couple of weeks. With respect to the voice prompts on the Sat Nav - are there any options to adjust the prompts for a distance. Even my original TomTom classic has variable voice prompts for POI (traffic cams!) where I can set the distance warning.
ak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:27   #15
NewVolvo
VOC Member

You can switch the POI off as you want, but as far as I know, not the verbal instructions that come in at 200 and 400 yards.

The 2 buttons behind the steering wheel took some time to get used to, but now, I can do in my sleep... so easy. You also get a remote control with the unit doing the same function as the buttons.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 12:57   #16
sug77

Hi,

For the Sat nav i did not quite mind the steering wheel controls but the map that was shown I just could not follow. My mother has an A-class with sat nav and that map is quite clear in showing me where I am and where I am going. On the volvo it seemed even after zooming down I could not see my self at street level.

But I have heard that there has been an update in software for the sat nav. Which I hope has updated the UI. Can anyone post a screenshot of the sat nav screen, with map showning, with the latest software so that I can see if the UI has been updated.

By the way Ron thanks for the pictures - I do like the chrome effect and I think my partner does to - more amuntion for me to get the SE Lux edition and its leather seats. I saw one in the showroom with beige leather and the light oak console. Very nice. But my partner said that the beige leather will go dull and dirty after time. She had to be practicler didn't she.

Regarding the D5 AWD test drive. I talked to another garage about the this and they said may be the D5 engine I test drove was a sliglty older engine, since the XC60 recently update the engine - may be?? But I think for me the Drive is very good as I am not going to be doing any off-roading so do not really the 4-wheel dirve. At least with the Drive I get good C02 emission and the low mpg. So with good dirve of the car I save money as well.

Regards
sug

Last edited by sug77; Sep 15th, 2009 at 12:58. Reason: name update
sug77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 13:38   #17
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I have the "new" 2010 D5 which is the twin scroll (double turbo) and 205 bhp. Reallu is good and noticable quieter than the old version with single turbo and 185 bhp. I recently drove a XC70 D5 (with the old engine) in Sweden as a rental car and that was noticable more noisy under acceleration.

Here are a few pics up the updated Sat Nav...

1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 14:49   #18
JackRussel

I also have a MY2010 AWD D5 205 bhp and have never had any feeling of instabilty at any speed, up to 95 leptons ( haven't done any more than this ). Sounds like the car you were driving had a problem. Having said that, if you don't need AWD and don't want the extra power and acceleration, I'm sure the DRIVe is the right option for you.

The satnav does take a bit of getting used to, but I find the maps perfectly clear and you can, off course, turn the voice prompts of completely.