Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aircon failing

Views : 3140

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2019, 15:52   #21
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Has the cabin filter been checked?
If it is damp and/or clogged that can cause condensation.
I haven't checked! Will see if I can work out how to...
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 15:58   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You haven't got the "Recirc" button pressed have you? This will give increased condensation on the inside of the car. The A/C system will override this when you switch to demisting the screen, it should also set the temperature to maximum so you get hot, conditioned (dehumidified) air onto the screen for maximum demisting.

Many manufacturers do a system evacuation and reciever/dryer renewal followed by a regas at 24k miles/2 years in the service schedule, however some dealers conveniently "forget" this so check your service bills to see if it's been done. If it has (allegedly) been done and you put your car into the dealer and they say it's low on gas without finding any leaks/damage to the system, it's entirely possible they haven't actually done the work they've charged for or not done it properly.
The above does NOT apply to volvos There are no servicing requirements for the AC system except the belt and pollen filter of course ... ...

If the above manufactures do that it is purely a money making exercise . this will be more common now as electric cars take over , the workshop loading is going to drop drastically in the coming years and they will be looking harder to increase their takings to maintain the income they have enjoyed for many years ......
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 17:32   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Along similar lines, do you have a cabin filter and if so, is it blocked?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Has the cabin filter been checked?
If it is damp and/or clogged that can cause condensation.
Question was already asked!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 11:17   #24
fermat62

Default XC60 not demistring the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Well it wasn't much above zero outside, so i wouldn't expect the AC to provide much cooling. But the lack of dehumidifying was the real problem I originally encountered that is obviously still a major requirement on a cold day.

Thanks to all for input. I'll keep an eye on it.
dear Zebster, did you fix the problem of demistring on your car?
I've the same issue on my XC60, it happen around 20day ago, Volvo's tech in Milan already cheched the AC system and he said everythinks are ok, but the problem still remain...
rgds
pino
fermat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 14:51   #25
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermat62 View Post
dear Zebster, did you fix the problem of demistring on your car?
I've the same issue on my XC60, it happen around 20day ago, Volvo's tech in Milan already cheched the AC system and he said everythinks are ok, but the problem still remain...
rgds
pino
Hi, I never found a positive reason for the problem and - apart from comparing the temperature of the AC pipework as previously described - I didn't bother with further investigation as the screen misting problem never reoccurred. However I had a dealer service just 5 weeks later and raised the issue that the AC seemed 'weak' and the technician said the same as a couple of the replies here about the pollen filter needed checking and fortunately replacement was included in the major service. After the service he did tell me that the pollen/cabin filter was very dirty (including a number of moths!) and in his opinion that was the cause of my complaint. I have to say that I've not noticed a problem with screen misting since then, although my aircon does still seem less cold our Kia... maybe it's slightly less powerful as a design feature to put less load on the engine as a fuel-saving measure?
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 16:59   #26
fermat62

Many Thanks for reply me, Zebster
sorry for my poor english, I'm wraiting from Italy
according the Volvo guy, he has already checked the pollen filter (replaced in last July)...it looks fine. he said.
To be honest, we have had a rainly January and till now there is an high humidity, generally speaking.
Anyway, I'll try to check the pollen filter by myself...
KR
pino
fermat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 17:12   #27
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermat62 View Post
Many Thanks for reply me, Zebster
sorry for my poor english, I'm wraiting from Italy
according the Volvo guy, he has already checked the pollen filter (replaced in last July)...it looks fine. he said.
To be honest, we have had a rainly January and till now there is an high humidity, generally speaking.
Anyway, I'll try to check the pollen filter by myself...
KR
pino
Buona fortuna e faccelo sapere
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 18:49   #28
Whyman
Premier Member

Read here on another thread that in a warmish but humid day with cold nights the car as the air cools inside sucks the cold damp air into the car and the moisture eventually condenses on the inside of the glass when the car starts to warm up.

The suggestion was to make sure all the vents are closed when you leave the car to minimise the damp air that is drawn in.