Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange sound like tyre deflating or release of air?

Views : 2534

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2018, 22:19   #1
philsuarez

Default Strange sound like tyre deflating or release of air?

Strange thing happened when I pulled up at Hotel car park in my 2018 model year XC90 Momentum. I was operating the electric tail gate when I heard a very loud sound like a tyre deflating under pressure or the release of compressed air. Nothing is showing as a fault on car systems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking maybe something to do with the gas struts of tailgate or the power pulse tech.
philsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 05:39   #2
ulstrup

no worries, is just the easy entry set up that lower the car.
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 07:55   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsuarez View Post
Strange thing happened when I pulled up at Hotel car park in my 2018 model year XC90 Momentum. I was operating the electric tail gate when I heard a very loud sound like a tyre deflating under pressure or the release of compressed air. Nothing is showing as a fault on car systems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking maybe something to do with the gas struts of tailgate or the power pulse tech.
Where was the sound coming from the engine bay or the rear of the car. Do you have air suspension.?.

P.S, easy entry suspension lowering is more like a creeking sound not a hissing noise.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:02.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 09:38   #4
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsuarez View Post
Now, this is interesting... On Sunday afternoon we pulled up into a parking area, and my wife put the car in park, she then put the car back into drive and rolled forwards a little further, and suddenly we heard a loud pop/bang and a ****shhh type sound, just as if we'd rolled over something and completely blown a tyre.

I got out of the car expecting to see a tyre completely flat, but all looked and felt absolutely fine and the car looked to be sat correctly on the air suspension.

I started the car again and immediately listened for any abnormal noise, and in particular the power pulse compressor, as I wondered if a pressure hose had blown, but nothing, all was normal. There wasn't anything on the ground either which we could have run over.

I opened the boot and was able to use the button to lower the suspension without issue.

We left the car for a few hours and then drove home on a mix of lanes and faster A roads for approx 1 hour and everything was absolutely fine, no issues with the car since.

The only other point, which I'm pretty sure won't be related is my wife reported the fan screaming loud when she parked the car the other morning, which I'm assuming must have been a DPF regeneration.

I've been following every post in this forum since around March 2016, and never seen any mention of a similar issue. Hence my surprise when I saw this post, odd!

:wq
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 09:59   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I wonder if there is a pressure relief valve on the air tank reservoirs. They may have over pressured and relief valve lifted to relieve excess pressure. I would think that being a pressure vessel they will have a safety relief system.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:03.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 10:25   #6
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I wonder if there is a pressure relief valve on the air tank reservoirs. They may have over pressured and relief valve lifted to relieve excess pressure. I would think that being a pressure vessel they will have a safety relief system.
I agree, and in my head I'd put it down to either some form of pressure release valve, whether that be connected to the powerpulse unit or air suspension I don't know, or something outside of the car which just happened to sound very close, like a bird or pest scarer (but unlikely, as it really did sound like it came from the car).

Old Mar 16th, 2018, 10:07   #7
gmk666

How weird. I had exactly this happen to mine on Saturday. I've owned the car 9 months, and this was the first time it's done it. I've got air suspension and was beginning to think it had sprung a leak, but the car seems fine.
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 11:05   #8
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk666 View Post
How weird. I had exactly this happen to mine on Saturday. I've owned the car 9 months, and this was the first time it's done it. I've got air suspension and was beginning to think it had sprung a leak, but the car seems fine.
Wow, three instances of something that has never been mentioned before in the space of a few days. I can’t think of any reason for this other than Pure coincidence.

Software on our car was last updated in mid January.

The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 19:51   #9
Tresco85

We have just drove from the Lake District to Birmingham and when we were coming down the M6 we had a very loud bang and it sounded like air coming out, was expecting to see the warning coming on to say we had a flat but nothing and everything was ok, must admit that I forgot to look at the rear when we got to the travel lodge so hopefully all will be ok in the morning. This was on a XC60 not 90.
Tresco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 14:16   #10
gmk666

Looks like I spoke too soon. The car has just dropped to its lowest setting, the ride is rock hard and this message has just appeared. Waiting for dealer to get back to me to book it in...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2991.jpg (88.8 KB, 86 views)