Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

stolen volvo v50

Views : 8363

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 13:05   #11
Paffel
VOC Member

Hi Sarah,

How long have you had the car, and are you sure you've got all sets of keys with it when you bought it?

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 13:23   #12
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Hopefully be proved wrong but I agree with steve0, everything seems to point to it being a family member.
Hope not though.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 13:40   #13
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Sounds like - either a family member or someone in your family has really ****ed off someone who knows you quite well, and they decided to do an elaborate job on you.

personally.... I don't think anyone would go to that effort unless something serious and/or money was involved + they'd need to have pretty big balls and know what they were doing - so unlikely.

Either way an unfortunate situation and I'm sorry it's happened to you.

I'm guessing getting the insurance to pay out on this one may be a struggle?

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 20:29   #14
thealchemyst
Master Member

other possibility is they weren't cops at all and were burgling you when you woke up?
after all you were in the house your sure your kids didn't knick it!
you haven't seen the "crashed" car and you haven't heard from the cops since!
oh and they took away the key to "see if it could provide answers" !!!!
the police don't give a flying f**k about car crime so unlikely they would bother to try and fingerprint a key or dna sample it. plus if anyone else has touched the key it is unlikely they would find a decent print.
id get onto the local police pronto and check they have the event registered, and go and see the car for yourself, they cannot refuse to let you access it.
hope I'm wrong but if the likely and probably aren't true then it only leaves the unlikely and improbable!
p.s. don't ever underestimate the front/balls that crooks have its utterly amazing sometimes!!!...
1995 850 t5 glt estate purple,FK-40mm,stainless exhaust polybushed,wilwood4pot+s60r discs,mbc,019 battery,18" c30 alloys,michelin pilots,silicone hoses,braided brake lines,HID's,ipd track swaybars 25+mpg :0) @Prescott Hillclimb
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 21:21   #15
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

OOOHH... never thought of that scenario.
Right wee Mr Marple you are, but totally plausible.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 23:45   #16
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Did Forensics dust the car and your hallway?

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 21:04   #17
SarahC

Thanks for all your replies but no one seems to agree it wasnt us! Capt Jack, it was driven and possibly hit the kerb or another car or something before the nearside wheel went at right angles when it veered into the parked van. My husband went and took pictures and there was a "drive shaft?" hanging off the inside of the wheel. Nothing seems to have been stolen from the house and although husbands keys were moved they were with his wallet which had abou £40 in. The police havent spoken to us since, but I have phoned and left messages because I want my once beautiful car back.
1mmey, I presume I have all the keys(2 sets) and i travelled to Plymouth from Stoke to buy the car so theres no locals involved as far as I know.
T5, insurance arent being too awkward yet but Im sure theres time! SOCO came and dusted the kitchen but said they couldnt find anything.
Thealchy, my husband went to see the car and take photos between the first police waking us up and the next lot statementing us. Whilst watching the car being taken away, the breakdown man asked the police for the key. The police had taken it to see if there was nything they could find out from it. Bearing in mind the nearside wheel was pointing sidewards he couldnt drag the car on the back of his truck. Im sure automatic cars shouldnt be towed like that but thats another story. The man, wearing thick leather rigger gloves, forced the steering wheel hard over as much as possible, helpfully wiping any possible fingerprints off the steering wheel.
By the way, we are 2 adults 2 "kids" no police or illegal stuff ever before. I truly believe and trust that it wasnt our kids and dont think it could be their mates. I cant stop thinking about it because there doesnt seem to be a believable solution. Can someone just tell me a logical answer
SarahC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 21:15   #18
Jimcoted

Default Could pose a problem

Couple of things with this which could pose a problem. Nowadays hot wiring doesn't work, it needs the correct key and by correct I don't mean just a key cut to match the tumblers but with the correct microchip to correspond with the cars computer. Car found locked with no keys missing could mean big trouble with the insurance company. Sorry to say it but sounds like somebody close to home, kids friend who knows where keys are kept? The fact that the keys were disturbed sounds a lot like that key was used and then returned. Thieves do not tarry to lock crashed cars up they leg it. I think police will be thinking along same lines.
Jimcoted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 21:27   #19
SarahC

Ive never tested it Jim but would the car lock itself after 5 mins or so?
It always seems to be whirring and doing things that I dont know about. Ive always locked it straight away but i know some cars have an aouto lock function sort of thing if you forget to lock them.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 21:30   #20
SarahC

The police automatically said it was one of us but I think they did end up believing it wasnt after the statements. I wouldnt mind if it was as long as I found out why and then I could relax!