Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to fit a 12v socket in the xc60 load compartment

Views : 13386

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 15:02   #11
upv5
VOC Member

Check your handbook for correct information but the cargo socket on our V50 and XC60 are permanently live.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 18:43   #12
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upv5 View Post
Check your handbook for correct information but the cargo socket on our V50 and XC60 are permanently live.

John
My 65 plate V60CC is the same, I’d say yes it’s same on all the other models.

TT
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 11:49   #13
Robbie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by upv5 View Post

John
From my handbook, thanks.

For the sockets to supply current, the car's electrical system must be set in the lowest ignition position I. The sockets are then active as long as the starter battery level does not become too low. If the engine is switched off and the car is locked, the sockets are deactivated. If the engine is switched off and the car is not locked, or is locked with double lock temporarily deactivated, then the sockets continue to be active for a further seven minutes.
Robbie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 17:18   #14
MuscleFlex

Thanks for this info... I might check it out more. Where do you order the Volvo parts? direct from dealer or shop?
MuscleFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleFlex For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2019, 18:25   #15
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleFlex View Post
Thanks for this info... I might check it out more. Where do you order the Volvo parts? direct from dealer or shop?
Go to the dealer, make sure you have the 40a J Fuse otherwise it won’t work.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:37   #16
AB100

Our March 17 XC60 definately does not have the wiring for the socket in the boot area, I even followed the loom under the back seat to try and locate it, but nothing!
Perhaps its model specific, ours is a SE Lux Nav, i think one of the run out batches, but for identification, there is only one wiring connection box in the boot lamp access on the LHS.
As we dont need a tow bar, I used the trailer supply and mounted the socket on that side. There is a little bag tucked below the access hatch with a double connector, one is the supply to the hitch. I believe that the other is an indicator connection or similar, so I picked up an earth on one of the earth points visible nearby under the boot floor panels. Just needs a J case fuse for the connection box, and a socket of course.
As an afterthought, we have found that with prolonged use of these sockets, the plug can get very hot.
Our main use is for a cool box at 50W, which uses around 4Amps.
So am thinking of adding in a better socket arrangement, such as a two pin figure 8 type plug and socket, as used on portable radios for instance for our next tour!
AB
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 21:08   #17
The Thong
VOC Member

If it’s anything like the V60, under the spare wheel carrier on the near side there will be a fuse box, a module etc for hitching in the wiring for a trailer and that’s where you work from.
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 10:17   #18
MuscleFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Go to the dealer, make sure you have the 40a J Fuse otherwise it won’t work.
Hi - how do I know I have this 40A fuse? Where is it?
MuscleFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleFlex For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 18:32   #19
MrDatch

Thumbs up

Cheers for posting all the info and links on this thread. I never would’ve found the wire tucked away behind the panel without it.
Managed to fit a socket in the boot of my 16plate D5 XC60, without removing the interior panel. I have a long pair of medical forceps, which I poked down from the access panel hole and clamped the wire.
Still had to remove the lower boot floor panel but that was it. All in took 20mins 👍✌️
MrDatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 13:04   #20
TillM

Default Thanks for the info in this thread

Thanks to all for this thread.

I had ordered a complete Luggage compartment 12v Socket , from VolvoPartshop.com Installed it all without stripping out half the inside trim as I could reach to where the socket was supposed to go and then tested it and it was not working, then I read through this and another thread that " The Thong" posted in and found out about the 40J fuse! A quick trip to Halfords to buy the fuse and hey presto it's all working.

One happy chappy and one happy wife that gets to have her coolbox in the rear on our outings!
TillM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TillM For This Useful Post: