Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can anyone help me here

Views : 946

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2021, 13:37   #1
canis
Non Fragile

Default Can anyone help me here

Our diesel V40 is reporting low fuel pressure. I telephoned Volvo about it, who told me there are two fuel pumps, one in the tank and one in the engine bay. They quoted me £600 for the main pump. Well, I looked in the tank and there definately isn't. Not only is there no pump, there are no wires for a pump. The multiplug on the tank has only two wires, and they are for the fuel guage, the other terminals are just empty.

Volvo quoted me £600 for the main pump, and couldn't supply the other one. They refused to give me a part number. So I got in touch with a used parts supplier, and they had two types of pump but didn't know which would be the right one.

Can anyone look this up on VIDA or DICE or something? I've never used either of those tools so I don't know if it's possible.

I'd really appreciate some help on this issue. It would be nice to keep this high miler on the road, 320,000 miles or thereabouts, when I last looked. It's got service history about a mile long. I'd like to fix it as no matter what the cost it's still certainly a better car than we could buy for the same money.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 15:09   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Our diesel V40 is reporting low fuel pressure. I telephoned Volvo about it, who told me there are two fuel pumps, one in the tank and one in the engine bay. They quoted me £600 for the main pump. Well, I looked in the tank and there definately isn't. Not only is there no pump, there are no wires for a pump. The multiplug on the tank has only two wires, and they are for the fuel guage, the other terminals are just empty.

Volvo quoted me £600 for the main pump, and couldn't supply the other one. They refused to give me a part number. So I got in touch with a used parts supplier, and they had two types of pump but didn't know which would be the right one.

Can anyone look this up on VIDA or DICE or something? I've never used either of those tools so I don't know if it's possible.

I'd really appreciate some help on this issue. It would be nice to keep this high miler on the road, 320,000 miles or thereabouts, when I last looked. It's got service history about a mile long. I'd like to fix it as no matter what the cost it's still certainly a better car than we could buy for the same money.
Knowing what year etc your car is would be helpful. However, if you only have one pump that will be the injection pump and will be expensive. It's possible it's also coded to your car so will need to be recoded on the computer (VIDA?) to work properly.

You could try a heavy duty dose of fuel system/injector cleaner through the tank. When i say heavy duty, add the whole bottle to half a tank then repeat a week or two later :

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...te-247878.html

It worked for someone else on here with a misfire/starting problem and low pressure on two injectors so it's worth a go. Once it's been in there a couple of days, give the car an Italian decoke, selecting a lower gear to keep the revs up at the speed limit on the motorway or of there are no cameras, give it some welly to blow the cobwebs out!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 17:17   #3
gatos
Premier Member

Hi Canis. Our base 2 1.9D definitely do not have a fuel pump in the fuel tank. End off. Not sure where they even got that idea. Quick question, ha e you read the codes with VIDA DiCE? Could the problem be the actual fuel pressure sensor or even the FPR?
It's more common for either the FPR or the fuel pressure sensor to fail, rather than the high pressure fuel pump

Ps. Even if it is the high pressure fuel pump, then it is definitely not coded to the ECU and it is as simple as plug and play for a new one

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Jan 14th, 2021 at 17:20.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 19:12   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Quick question, ha e you read the codes with VIDA DiCE? Could the problem be the actual fuel pressure sensor or even the FPR?
It's more common for either the FPR or the fuel pressure sensor to fail, rather than the high pressure fuel pump
The codes were read by a garage mechanic, who was diagnosing another problem at the time (air-flow sensor, replaced that, all fixed), so it was only really mentioned in passing. The car is on a 53 plate, so i'm guessing a very late model.

I suppose it could be the sensor itself. I'm gonna try Scoob's suggestion and run some cleaner through it see if that makes a difference.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 17:56   #5
creronr123

Default Air Flow Sensor

I removed my Air Flow Sensor and used special spray I got off Ebay. Vehicle running much better
creronr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 13:51   #6
V40DSchariot
Master Member

It's been over 2years since getting shut of my V40 1.9D and even longer since looking at something to do with fuel, poss pump in the tank.
This was accessed from in the car in the back seat area.
Seats removed for easier access, carpet lifted up beneath seats to access this.
I've done the same on petrol but feel sure there is something in same place on diesel models.
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 14:15   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40DSchariot View Post
It's been over 2years since getting shut of my V40 1.9D and even longer since looking at something to do with fuel, poss pump in the tank.
This was accessed from in the car in the back seat area.
Seats removed for easier access, carpet lifted up beneath seats to access this.
I've done the same on petrol but feel sure there is something in same place on diesel models.
There is definitely no fuel pump inside the fuel tank. If you check the connector going to the fuel sender unit, there are only two thin black wires, that are for the fuel gauge. The petrol models all have a fuel pump inside the tank and the connector has four wires

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote