Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 71495

Replies : 1338

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 16:21   #1031
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I find it quite ironic how defensive people get on here about safety and Volvo being the best then a cheap Dongfeng Nano Box gets rebranded Dacia Spring, gets a one star EuroNCAP rating, and interest is piqued.

Nowt as queer as folks as they say in 'ow much land.
It's about budget and choice. Dacia are a company that make cheap cars out of other peoples leftovers (they would say proven technology), usually Renault, who also own them. Hence their R&D budget is likely very low.

They have made something viable that is almost HALF the price of its nearest competitors, yes it is likely an inferior product in most areas as a result but everything is relative. It is safe, otherwise it could not be sold, but it's not as safe as most others, in the same way it is not as fast or does not have the range of most others. It could have been worse, it could have had a NCAP rating of 0 but still meet the mandatory standards for crash protection enabling it to be sold.

NCAP is an independent organisation, their assessments are entirely unrelated to the EU type approval process that cars must pass before they can be sold. The latter lays down the standard of what makes a car safe enough to sell and the Spring meets it.

And I did point out that I would not be ordering one...

It is what it is.... a "Minimum Viable Product" like the 2CV, Classic Mini, Reanult 4, Fiat 128. Good at nothing, acceptable at most.

And, believe it or not, there are worse cars you can buy :

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/fiat/panda/34191
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Mar 17th, 2024 at 18:50.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 19:13   #1032
Whippy
Premier Member

It serves a niche, those people who need an EV but can't afford a super silly price need to buy something. It serves a purpose.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 21:24   #1033
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
It's about budget and choice. Dacia are a company that make cheap cars out of other peoples leftovers (they would say proven technology), usually Renault, who also own them. Hence their R&D budget is likely very low.

They have made something viable that is almost HALF the price of its nearest competitors, yes it is likely an inferior product in most areas as a result but everything is relative. It is safe, otherwise it could not be sold, but it's not as safe as most others, in the same way it is not as fast or does not have the range of most others. It could have been worse, it could have had a NCAP rating of 0 but still meet the mandatory standards for crash protection enabling it to be sold.

NCAP is an independent organisation, their assessments are entirely unrelated to the EU type approval process that cars must pass before they can be sold. The latter lays down the standard of what makes a car safe enough to sell and the Spring meets it.

And I did point out that I would not be ordering one...

It is what it is.... a "Minimum Viable Product" like the 2CV, Classic Mini, Reanult 4, Fiat 128. Good at nothing, acceptable at most.

And, believe it or not, there are worse cars you can buy :

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/fiat/panda/34191
Of course it meets the requirements to be sold as does Diet Coke, doesn't mean it's good for you. Drink 2l of soda/week reportedly causes a 20% increase in the chance of an irregular heartbeat. It's still legal and meets all current requirements for general sale.

Interesting you compare a car on its last knockings Vs a new model for the worst car to buy:
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/dacia/spring/44197

Here's another car on its last knockings:
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/focus/33017

Edit: my point being, I know diet Coke is not a car, if the standards did the job why does euroNCAP exist and why do people give it a second thought ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Mar 17th, 2024 at 22:49.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 21:39   #1034
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
It serves a niche, those people who need an EV but can't afford a super silly price need to buy something. It serves a purpose.
I agree. If you want a round town runabout, an EV would be ideal. My Mrs is a classic example. She goes 65 miles a week so an EV would be perfect. We have a hybrid so we’re sort of there but a full fat EV would be preferable for her needs. Sadly, living in a terraced street, charging would be a big no

TT
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 22:39   #1035
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
If that's how they decide to calculate road tax in future (weight), then us Volvo owner's will definitely pay higher prices. Volvo's aren't light cars, even the older ones are heavy compared to other similar cars.
Not true!

Likewise, a 2007 S80 is around the same as its German exekutive rivals.
baggy798 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baggy798 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 22:48   #1036
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thong View Post
consumerism is the big polluter and this is what people can’t get their heads around. Separating your recyclables and turning your thermostat down a degree is not going to make one bit of difference. People wouldn’t be prepared to go to the lengths required to make it happen. Meanwhile the targeted sales tempt people to buy more and more. It’s even easier when you can buy from the comfort of your home and put more vehicles on the road to deliver it all. That’s a subject for another thread.

Tt
hOW'S THAT NEW SUBARU, ALRIGHT IS IT?!??
baggy798 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baggy798 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 09:38   #1037
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Dacia are a company that make cheap cars out of other peoples leftovers (they would say proven technology), usually Renault
Ah, a kind of reverse Delorean!
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 10:14   #1038
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
Ah, a kind of reverse Delorean!
Er... Yes, that is logically correct. But I can't see brushed stainless steel finish or a flux capacitor in the options list for the Spring.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 12:15   #1039
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
But I can't see brushed stainless steel finish or a flux capacitor in the options list for the Spring.
I wouldn't want to take it to 88 MPH either..
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 13:47   #1040
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
I wouldn't want to take it to 88 MPH either..
That's just as well because you can't. Maximum speed = 77mph, 0-60 = twice in the same day, maybe....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135