Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

polestar question

Views : 377

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2019, 11:37   #1
jboyjohn

Default polestar question

So after owning an s40 t5 for 3 years I decided to sell it back in October and within a week I totally regretted doing so. So I've kept my eyes out for another. I've recently been to view and test drive a c30 t5 and my mind is made up so I put down a deposit and picking it up next Friday. Back to my question. When I was viewing it it had a pelestar badge on the back of it but when I was going through all the paperwork there wasn't anything mentioned about pole star and the dealer wasn't aware/ told anyrhing. Is there a way of checking to see if it's been mapped other than trying to contact previous owners? If I'm being honest it didn't feel like it had but my old s40 was running 314bhp so it was never going to be as fast. Thanks

Last edited by jboyjohn; Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:39. Reason: spelling mistake
jboyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 09:01   #2
mattievrs
Master Member

If it’s been polestarred then it would have been done at Volvo so they should be able to tell you about the history of the car from their records. It may be a generic map with a polestar badge added so wouldn’t be on their records. If it is code read it should show up a checksum error on Vida if it’s mapped with a generic map. If it’s been serviced at Volvo then the software would have been updated and wiped the map perhaps.
mattievrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 09:48   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyjohn View Post
Is there a way of checking to see if it's been mapped other than trying to contact previous owners? If I'm being honest it didn't feel like it had but my old s40 was running 314bhp so it was never going to be as fast.
Use VIDA and inspect for error codes

A Checksum Error on the engine ECU means a remapping exists

On later Polestar cars, they fitted a Polestar ECU with different part numbers, but I do not think that will apply to your car.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 11:30   #4
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Use VIDA and inspect for error codes

A Checksum Error on the engine ECU means a remapping exists

On later Polestar cars, they fitted a Polestar ECU with different part numbers, but I do not think that will apply to your car.
I always thought it was a software updated. So.... if I took my XC70 to get the polestar treatement, the ECU gets swapped over also?

Cheers

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 10:48   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattievrs View Post
If it’s been polestarred then it would have been done at Volvo so they should be able to tell you about the history of the car from their records. It may be a generic map with a polestar badge added so wouldn’t be on their records. If it is code read it should show up a checksum error on Vida if it’s mapped with a generic map. If it’s been serviced at Volvo then the software would have been updated and wiped the map perhaps.
Even more tragically it might just be the badge that was added!

I'd check if it's even a T5 :P

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote