Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2nd Generation Grill

Views : 509

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2019, 16:21   #1
gothamus

Default 2nd Generation Grill

I like the early grills but won't be able to use my first gen set until I find an early nose, which is unlikely, used or new. I will only be able to use them if I modify the holes.

I do have the 2nd generation type. I have not found a post that illustrates or describes this process. The only reference is the parts book, which just shows the exploded diagram and pieces. I have all those.

The cross-bar is easy enough to install. But that trim around the outside is unclear. I can't tell if it slips into the edge of the hole via groove on trim. Or if there are clips to hold it on. I been able to get the cross bar to hold it in on the center side and outside. It doesn't flop around. But I can not get a very clean oval shape. I have all sorts of clips but none are of any use.

Of course, my nose is designed for the later one-piece grills with screw holes on each side. There may be a trim for holding it in that my nose is lacking. I have hunted the web and forums but only find images of complete installations.

I attach a picture of partial install, one side with a rough installation that is incomplete. The other side just has grill held in with the upper hangers. (and my little modification of the 144 badge and cross strip, just a little flair that stood out to my young self in the 70's). Another picture shows the best I could do last year. She's been punched in the nose several times, as you can see. But never beaten in NYC.

Anyone have advice or found a post about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amazon Grill - 1.jpg (390.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Installed Grill - 1.jpg (308.7 KB, 27 views)
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 18:48   #2
northNH

Maybe this is useful?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 645B58CD-F4BE-44B1-8B67-01F16E437882.jpg (121.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg D7AC8208-5AFA-48C6-849F-0BF64B035D36.jpg (134.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg B04ABB35-73D9-49B8-B21B-98EE04F1BACE.jpg (141.7 KB, 19 views)
northNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 07:48   #3
Quarterless
Master Member

You need to drill two holes per side in the top of the front panel to mount the grills. The mounting tabs on each side need cutting off. Then there are some clips to hold the grill on at the bottom. The chrome surround just sits inside / over the edge of the hole in the front panel.
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 17:44   #4
gothamus

Default trim

That's pretty much how I've been doing it.

The part I find difficult is getting some kind of clip or something to hold the trim to some spots on the rim. Mine never looks as good as all the others I see. But what do I expect until I do some intense metal work or plop down some cash for a new nose?

When I cleaned up the grill from it's rust and mess I got it perfectly clean to shiny metal. It's too bad it can only stay that pretty until I take them outside. I tried different products to keep that shine and nothing works. The opposite of preserving, actually. I came across a second pair recently and cleaned them up. This timeI got some automotive mirror finish spray paint, not expecting much. It's worked much much better than I expected. Some sun light reflecting off the bumper gets reflected again, off that grill! They look like clean chrome which I didn't expect.

I was able to get some new cross pieces, free of dents, scratches and sunburned dullness. I'm afraid to touch them, much less put them on the car where any stranger could touch 'em! They have been wrapped up on the top shelf. I thought of hiding them from the curious in-laws staying with us. Forget the antiques, these things can dent if dropped! I should ease up, maybe. But it's not like I have a pristine car. If I use them it will make the condition of everything else stand out that much more. Maybe I will keep them on the top shelf.
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote