Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential owner questions

Views : 1808

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2019, 19:34   #11
MOzS90

I believe the answers to number 5 may be “no” actually. I’m not sure how many features (or optional extras) can be activated like VW group cars can.

I could be wrong though.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 09:25   #12
candell

There is a huge community around coding VAG cars, it's not a big deal, just a nice to have.

Do you find the RTTI to be accurate, I love the accuracy of it in the Audi, I see a red line up above and hit it almost spot on every time due to it using traffic data from google maps. I prefer using the car sat nav so that I get the maps in the digital dash, but again, not a deal breaker.

I had adaptive cruise on a toyota hire car once, every time someone cut infront of me it would slow down to create a new gap and before long I was trundling down the fast lane at 50mph. Is it better these days?
candell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 09:52   #13
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
I believe the answers to number 5 may be “no” actually. I’m not sure how many features (or optional extras) can be activated like VW group cars can.

I could be wrong though.
You are incorrect, there are many selectable options you can activate, turn or off, lighting, mirrors, suspension, steering, safety features, seat/steering wheel heaters on start up, defosters on start up, and many more options, as well as the individual drive mode you can customise.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:13   #14
scw

Quote:
Originally Posted by candell View Post
Do you find the RTTI to be accurate?
In my experience the info is 5-10 minutes delayed, based on a daily commute comprising the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge.

Steve
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scw For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:38   #15
candell

Thanks guys, this is proving to be an awesome forum which again adds to the desirability of moving to a volvo.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:17   #16
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
You are incorrect, there are many selectable options you can activate, turn or off, lighting, mirrors, suspension, steering, safety features, seat/steering wheel heaters on start up, defosters on start up, and many more options, as well as the individual drive mode you can customise.
These are all the standard options within the Sensus interface, basically your 'settings' for the car. In the same way, Audi will have various settable options for lights, climate etc.. But I *think* what candell is referring to is the ability to go beyond the standard settings and tinker with additional options by plugging in a laptop to the OBD port which as I've discovered is a big think for Audi owners from following other forums

:wq
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 14:20   #17
jonnyu

Late response but:

1: Design refreshes: not sure if the V90 might get one but the XC90 got one recently. It's not that frequent in Volvo I guess. Volvo is not like Audi that cheats consumers with small design refresh to keep their old designs considered as "new".

2: Smart features that can pre heat the car: yes it's an option called precondition or parking climate. set directions on my phone and send to the car, show whether the car is locked etc? yes, comes as standard in the inscription and R-design trim.
3: Does the satnav show live traffic data: yes, it uses here map and it's standard. an awesome feature of my current A4 glad you are upgrading big time
4: Does android auto and carplay work well these features have nothing to do with Volvo, it's your operating system on the phone that renders the features and interface. You have to buy the pack while configuring the car.
5: mirror down when selecting reverse, lane assist all of that comes as standard in the inscription, r-design trim. Audi has them as options already in the car but hides these options by software to make you pay more. This is one of the many many reasons Audi sucks bad.

So it's great that you are considering Volvo. You will notice that many of the "new era" Volvo customers are old Audi customers that didn't find valid alternatives in the German brands. Volvo is very well positioned these days and even if it's not a shinny brand to show off to friends and family, these cars are solid, luxurious, packed with the latest technology and security features. To spec an Audi in the same way you spec a Volvo, you will spend more 30% for nothing.

Last edited by jonnyu; Jun 26th, 2019 at 14:28.
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 16:26   #18
candell

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
But I *think* what candell is referring to is the ability to go beyond the standard settings and tinker with additional options by plugging in a laptop to the OBD port which as I've discovered is a big think for Audi owners from following other forums

:wq
Yes, there is software letting you go to town with changing things or even apps that have pre-coded changes. Essentially it is to activate things Audi turn off in the UK market or charge as an extra, but the hardware is already there. I was quoted £300 by Audi to activate the wingmirror dip on reverse, but took 2 minutes using an app.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 16:31   #19
candell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
Late response but:

1: Design refreshes: not sure if the V90 might get one but the XC90 got one recently. It's not that frequent in Volvo I guess. Volvo is not like Audi that cheats consumers with small design refresh to keep their old designs considered as "new".

2: Smart features that can pre heat the car: yes it's an option called precondition or parking climate. set directions on my phone and send to the car, show whether the car is locked etc? yes, comes as standard in the inscription and R-design trim.
3: Does the satnav show live traffic data: yes, it uses here map and it's standard. an awesome feature of my current A4 glad you are upgrading big time
4: Does android auto and carplay work well these features have nothing to do with Volvo, it's your operating system on the phone that renders the features and interface. You have to buy the pack while configuring the car.
5: mirror down when selecting reverse, lane assist all of that comes as standard in the inscription, r-design trim. Audi has them as options already in the car but hides these options by software to make you pay more. This is one of the many many reasons Audi sucks bad.

So it's great that you are considering Volvo. You will notice that many of the "new era" Volvo customers are old Audi customers that didn't find valid alternatives in the German brands. Volvo is very well positioned these days and even if it's not a shinny brand to show off to friends and family, these cars are solid, luxurious, packed with the latest technology and security features. To spec an Audi in the same way you spec a Volvo, you will spend more 30% for nothing.
It really annoys me how Audi 'facelift' a car and don't tell their customers that a facelift is imminent, effectively letting them buy an old shape car. I was hoping for a much changed A4 but the new facelift coming later this year is a real let down, hence looking around.

I like the Volvo's, they are different inside and out and a big move away from their old man image they used to have. Although some would class me an old man these days
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 16:46   #20
Whaty

I've got a fairly basic MY19 S90 Momentum but even that includes many of the features mentioned:

Set directions on your phone and send to car, lock/unlock, check status, check location, etc. However, whilst I can stop/start the car from my phone I cannot precondition it (at least not in the way I think you mean).

With the addition of a sim (many, including myself use a 3 sim) or by tethering to your phone you can have RTTI. There is a slight delay but so far it's always worked and been quite accurate for me.

Also comes with the option to mirror down when reversing, lane assist and many other driver aids as standard.

With most newish VAG cars (Audi, VW, Skoda) I believe you can activate/deactivate, add and amend many (normally hidden) functions of the car via a laptop and a suitable OBD Port connector. My previous car was a Superb and I was a member of the Briskoda forum, questions and advice on making these changes were quite common, some people with the equipment even offered it as a service at 'group meets' and the like. I haven't seen anything like it mentioned for Volvo cars during the short time I've been on this forum.

Terry

Last edited by Whaty; Jun 26th, 2019 at 16:49.
Whaty is offline   Reply With Quote