Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High mileage

Views : 4492

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2019, 11:10   #11
TonyB65

Although the article below was in 2014 I think it pretty much confirms the myth that modern era Volvo's don't have the longevity of older era's. It's all down to regular maintenance, and as this guy says, he deals with any issues as soon as they arise. My 2009 V70 has done 104k and drives like new, with no squeaks and rattles at all. Just before I bought it the seller had everything that needed doing sorted, to the tune of £1.7k, and I intend to keep it in tip top condition and expect it to last me for years.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...eak-downs.html
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 13:12   #12
Welton
Premier Member

I think it's all about preventative maintenance. Replacing the aux belts/tensioners if you can hear a slight noise from them, replacing oil and fluids early and regularly. LOOKING UNDER THE BONNET! etc etc.

I think a lot of motorists pay little attention to proper maintenance and probably don't understand any of it but certainly if you only spend money on garage works because the car has broken down then you're not doing yourself many favours in the long run.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 11:45   #13
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I think it's all about preventative maintenance. Replacing the aux belts/tensioners if you can hear a slight noise from them, replacing oil and fluids early and regularly. LOOKING UNDER THE BONNET! etc etc.

I think a lot of motorists pay little attention to proper maintenance and probably don't understand any of it but certainly if you only spend money on garage works because the car has broken down then you're not doing yourself many favours in the long run.
On this note I have a mate at work who won't even check his oil, coolant etc.. Didn't get it serviced either. Got me to change his bulbs and was going to change the spark plugs for him until the car went bang and he just went and got a new one... Wonder how long that car would have lasted if he'd just do the basics!

Then he tells me I waste money on cars! -.-

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 17:42   #14
volvopilot

when I'm looking at the regular auto trader websites here in my country I see S40/V50's with 200k+ miles very often. In pretty good shape too. (1.8 and 2.0 petrols)

mine has done close to 150k now and still going strong. No sign of engine problems and I only have to top up 0.5L of oil between every oil service (10k miles).

The 2.0D and D5 engines seem to be capable of even higher milages without any problems when it has been looked after.

A huge advantage of a volvo S40/V50 compared to similar mazda and ford cars with the same engine is that the previous owner has probably looked after the car a lot better. Not just maintenance, but even things like washing a car and not revving the hell out of a cold engine.

If you find a nice looked after high milage V50/S40, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. Suspension parts are cheap and the engines fairly bullet proof.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 22:08   #15
x DTR x
Premier Member

184k on my 2005 2.0l D, cambelt was done at 140k and gets a full service every 6k. Everything on engine apart from filters is original including clutch & dmf., and very knock or rattle gets addressed whenever they occur. This is by far the best car I've owned to date, its still in great condition, everything works and it still pulls like a train. Was thinking at one point about selling but came to my senses!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 14:50   #16
alexstanleyv50

My 2009 2.0 petrol S40 has 150k on the clock. The duratec engine is still going strong and delivering great MPG for its age.

My 2005 T5 has 160k on the clock and is still hanging onto the coat tails of most other high powered cars.....

2004 V50 T5 SE 6 Speed Manual The Death Star...
2009 S40 2.0i R-Design 5 Speed Manual The Flash Car...
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 16:44   #17
V50 Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Another thing to consider is that we normally only hear the bad points that people have and we latch on to that. You tend not to hear the stories of cars (not just Volvo) that have been looked after, regular maintenance etc that go on for a life time.

Maybe it’s personal preference, but I’d take a fair amount of the negative comments with a pinch of salt as that is just one persons bad experience.

Chose a car well, look after it, and with any luck it’ll last for many thousands of miles.
I have to agree with this, and it also depends how the car gets driven. I'm sure you could have the worlds most reliable brand and if it gets hammered every time its driven it will develop lots of faults. Even the most unreliable of cars if maintained well, driven gently and just generally looked after will last a long time and surpass many peoples expectations.

The only concern for me regarding modern cars in general is how newer engines are getting smaller. Big low stress engines will nearly always do big mileage. I'm sure there's a supercharged or turbocharged 1.0 Ford Focus? It has a decent power output but i can imagine this starting to struggle by the 100k mark, especially if it gets driven hard!

Last edited by V50 Craig; May 1st, 2019 at 16:45. Reason: Spelling
V50 Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 17:32   #18
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50 Craig View Post
...mileage. I'm sure there's a supercharged or turbocharged 1.0 Ford Focus? It has a decent power output but i can imagine this starting to struggle by the 100k mark, especially if it gets driven hard!
*cough* also startstopsystem *cough* ....
Old May 1st, 2019, 21:33   #19
Dippydog
Premier Member

Yes 1L turbo engine[3cylinder I believe]can be had in Focus,also in Mondeo[have you seen the size of the present day Mondeo?]and the Transit Connect van.When all 3 cylinders aren't needed it will cut down to run on 2 cylinders to save fuel/emissions
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 11:15   #20
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Yes 1L turbo engine[3cylinder I believe]can be had in Focus,also in Mondeo[have you seen the size of the present day Mondeo?]and the Transit Connect van.When all 3 cylinders aren't needed it will cut down to run on 2 cylinders to save fuel/emissions
Even the new Fiesta ST is 1.5l 3 cylinder turbo, with the ability to shutdown 1 cylinder when not in use too.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote