Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dashcam Wiring in New V60

Views : 26691

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2021, 11:36   #61
oldm88
M&M V90

Default Hard Wired Dash Cam to V90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris v90 View Post
The v90 appears to have the same panel access to the cigar lighter socket.
I looked at tapping in to the fusebox in the passenger footwell but using the 12v socket in the centre console is easily the simplest way to do it.
As other posts have said, move the passenger seat as far back as it will go, then remove the panel which pulls off easily, no snapped fasteners!
There is quite a lot of space under the 12v socket so making the connections is quite easy. Black to -ve and blue/white to +ve.
Dashcam now all wired in.
Very interesting, thanks fior your post.
I am collecting V90CC Friday 12th Feb and intended to fit my existing Dash Cam into it but to hard wire it this time. Dash Cam was previously fitted to my XC60 but using the USB socet in centre storage box (untidy!)
Which side panel did you take off, Drivers or passenger side (I think passenger). Did you take any pic's. I will obviously have to cut the Dash Cam cable USB plug off and figure out which wires to connect. This is gonna be a first for me!!
oldm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 21:05   #62
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldm88 View Post
Very interesting, thanks fior your post.
I am collecting V90CC Friday 12th Feb and intended to fit my existing Dash Cam into it but to hard wire it this time. Dash Cam was previously fitted to my XC60 but using the USB socet in centre storage box (untidy!)
Which side panel did you take off, Drivers or passenger side (I think passenger). Did you take any pic's. I will obviously have to cut the Dash Cam cable USB plug off and figure out which wires to connect. This is gonna be a first for me!!
You will find pictures at post 6 in this thread.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 17:52   #63
crashbarrier

Default Hardwiring Dashcam in a V90CC

With thanks to Wizzpop and Lexman8 I was able to successfully wire in my Nextabse dashcam to the back of the power socket in the centre console. There are various photos dotted around the forum of how to do it on different cars so this is for a V90CC.

1. Remove the trim panel on the side of the centre console so as to access the back of the power socket. As Lexman8 said before it is incredibly easy as long as you just take it slowly and carefully. I slid my fingers under the trim up where it disappears from view in the footwell and slowly slid them around the bottom of the trim until I got to where I could tell there was a clip. I applied a little pressure and it popped out. The next one is the same and then you just slowly ease out the rear two.

2. The next photo shows what you will now see. The wiring for the socket is the blue/white & black is just right of centre and has a black plastic connector to the socket which will come off easily. I found that wiggling it was better than pulling it.
Positive (Red) is the Blue & White wire and Negative is the Black wire(thanks Wizzpop)

3. I then made up a couple of small wiring sections in order to connect both the dashcam and the original socket power feed. The Nextbase hardwire kit is visible in the photo and requires an in-line fuse which would normally be the piggy-back fuse in the fusebox so I added the fuse holder. The piggy-back connectors that you can see will connect with the black connector block that you removed.

4. I routed the cable from the camera along the top of the windscreen, around the A-pillar and into the doorframe seal. Down the seal and then around and under the dash below the glove box. Hidden from view it went along and into the void that you can see to the left of the photo in 2 above. I then velcroed the little black box of tricks to the carpet-like material so that it can't bounce around or rattle. It's a rubbish photo but gives the idea. I then carefully passed the cables under the loom section which will hold them in place and away from the solenoid/actuator that you can see in the background and finally connected the black plastic connector (don't forget +ve & -ve) and then the back of the power socket(easy to forget as you breathe a sigh of relief).

5. Panel back on and then close your eyes as you turn on the ignition. It works!!

Apologies that this has dragged on but I think that a picture paints a thousand words and the various models are all different. I tried attaching photos instead of embedding them but the forum said that there was a security token missing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VOLVO DASHCAM 1 - Copy.jpg (187.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg VOLVO DASHCAM 2 - Copy.jpg (136.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg VOLVO DASHCAM 3 - Copy.jpg (137.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg VOLVO DASHCAM 4 - Copy.jpg (114.6 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg VOLVO DASHCAM 5 - Copy.jpg (126.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg VOLVO DASHCAM 6 - Copy.jpg (89.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg VOLVO DASHCAM 7 - Copy.jpg (171.4 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by crashbarrier; Aug 8th, 2021 at 20:25.
crashbarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crashbarrier For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 20:01   #64
Wizzpop
Master Member

Excellent write up, thanks. Hopefully others will come here rather than creating yet another thread. The only issue is that this method does mean the dashcam is turned off when the ignition is turned off. I doubt there is anywhere in the central console that is permanenty live.
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 13:10   #65
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Just installed the dashcam - great instructions, thank you all.

Same experience as TimNiceBut, the same tab on my side panel cover snapped off; terrible quality - reminds me of my Ford's whereas my MK1 XC90 which I still have let's me hack away - yet to snap anything on it.

Glued the tab back on and all fine but if I have to pull the panel off again I am sure the tab will just snap off again. Needs to be reinforced with plastic webbing - cheap manufacture, shoddy. Still, I guess this is to be expected for most manufacturer's today.

Dashcam works great though - was very fiddly getting the power cable down behind the dash.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 17:15   #66
Vulvolate70

Default Biggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by J30 YAP View Post
Hardwired my nextbase 512g using a micro2 fuse holder off amazon.
Piggy back it first to 12v accessory fuse but I think its live because when I locked my XC60 and came back after 30 minutes, looked in to the car, obviously without unlocking it, the cam was still recording. So I hook it to door lights fuse instead and all is good. 2amps is recommended for dashcam but cant find a 2amp micro2 fuse. So Im using a 5amp for it.

My cam is next to the IS module. I have been using it for over a year now and can confirm that city safety/ autobraking works just fine. So I assume that other safety measures still function and dash cam does not interfere with it.
Hi there. New to Volvo and new to this thread. Have purchased a Nextbase 522 and it appears that in the male part of the cigar socket supplied is a 2 amp fuse. So I am guessing that if I hardwired my camera into the fuse box it would be protected by the 5 amp fuse plus it’s own 2 amp fuse.
Most interesting thread. Thanks to all for insights.
Vulvolate70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 15:36   #67
RG58

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbarrier View Post
With thanks to Wizzpop and Lexman8 I was able to successfully wire in my Nextabse dashcam to the back of the power socket in the centre console. There are various photos dotted around the forum of how to do it on different cars so this is for a V90CC.

1. Remove the trim panel on the side of the centre console so as to access the back of the power socket. As Lexman8 said before it is incredibly easy as long as you just take it slowly and carefully. I slid my fingers under the trim up where it disappears from view in the footwell and slowly slid them around the bottom of the trim until I got to where I could tell there was a clip. I applied a little pressure and it popped out. The next one is the same and then you just slowly ease out the rear two.

2. The next photo shows what you will now see. The wiring for the socket is the blue/white & black is just right of centre and has a black plastic connector to the socket which will come off easily. I found that wiggling it was better than pulling it.
Positive (Red) is the Blue & White wire and Negative is the Black wire(thanks Wizzpop)

3. I then made up a couple of small wiring sections in order to connect both the dashcam and the original socket power feed. The Nextbase hardwire kit is visible in the photo and requires an in-line fuse which would normally be the piggy-back fuse in the fusebox so I added the fuse holder. The piggy-back connectors that you can see will connect with the black connector block that you removed.

4. I routed the cable from the camera along the top of the windscreen, around the A-pillar and into the doorframe seal. Down the seal and then around and under the dash below the glove box. Hidden from view it went along and into the void that you can see to the left of the photo in 2 above. I then velcroed the little black box of tricks to the carpet-like material so that it can't bounce around or rattle. It's a rubbish photo but gives the idea. I then carefully passed the cables under the loom section which will hold them in place and away from the solenoid/actuator that you can see in the background and finally connected the black plastic connector (don't forget +ve & -ve) and then the back of the power socket(easy to forget as you breathe a sigh of relief).

5. Panel back on and then close your eyes as you turn on the ignition. It works!!

Apologies that this has dragged on but I think that a picture paints a thousand words and the various models are all different. I tried attaching photos instead of embedding them but the forum said that there was a security token missing.
Great pictures and I have followed the instructions to the letter. Just one question: When I wiggled the plug off the back of the cigar lighter, I THEN noticed a little green connector was attached to the same loom (you can just see it in picture 4). Do you know if that was connected to anything as I simply cannot work out if it needs to be plugged back in somewhere!!
RG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 12:59   #68
Basill

Rather than tap into the 12v socket, I used a 5m usb cable from the camera, under the headlining around the airbag and down the A pillar and to footwell level behind the door trim, under the dash in the passenger footwell then tucked under edge of trim panel on the trans tunnel. It goes up into the box containing the USB sockets almost hidden by the seat back.

I have a USB stick of music connected and used an ebay USB spiltter to leave the other socket free for Android auto if I want to use that.

Last edited by Basill; Mar 29th, 2023 at 13:17. Reason: speling :-)
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 14:57   #69
DS80

I just installed my nextbase camera following the centre power outlet as described above. Works a treat and very quick and simple to do. Cheers all
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 16:47   #70
dannycotw

sorry this is resurrecting an old thread, please could you point me in the direction of the extra wire connector you used in the photo for this? I can find all of the piggyback connectors on amazon/halfords but struggling to find suitable wiring to connect the piggyback connectors to the 12v socket on the car.
Thanks
dannycotw is offline   Reply With Quote