Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Head Lights, can I do anything?

Views : 23257

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 15:49   #21
dazc

I adjusted mine last week from reading a similar thread.

Driving at 50mph at night was becoming a lottery if not dangerous, and after running over a couple of things unseen I thought enough was enough.

The difference was that I took mine out to adjust them using the release pins and turned the 8mm allen key hole beneath the 6mm white hex nut. It's a lot more substantial than the small hex nut.

3 full turns clockwise (so the plastic hex nut turns anticlockwise) and the pattern on the road is perfect.

Just make sure that you are turning the adjuster nearest the radiator.
Do this for each light.
I am well pleased with the results. A week on and no one has flashed me and the pattern looks spot on. Stick to full turns then you can always put it back exactly where it was should you not like it.

Cant see why you would though
Darren
dazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 13:29   #22
iainmd

[QUOTE=Harvey1512;423335]
A good couple of tips for people doing this. Set the manual dial to the right of the steering wheel to the mid point before you make any adjustments. This then allows you in future to easily raise or lower the lights if required without having to get your socket set out./QUOTE]

There's one thing to watch out for with that advice. An MOT tester is supposed to check the headlight aim with any electrical or mechanical adjuster in the fully up position so if you adjust it to where you want at mid-point it may be an MOT fail. Only letting folk know as it has happened to me before.

I now adjust them in the fully up position.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 13:46   #23
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Thank you for that. Mine is a company car that is returned after 2 years so I will not see this get an MOT. I will however adjust the lights to the level you describe before I return it, bit unfair to stitch up the next owner without them knowing it.
I thought I was being logical in the way that I did it but then what has logic go to do with it.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 14:23   #24
biggs312800

hi all

I have had this problem with the lights 2 its so anoying. After reading through the threads to get some ideas, I thought i might try my luck at halfords, i asked to see if they had the nightbreakers in but to me it was only the halfords brands. I bought the 90% brighter xenon ones h7 they were £23 each but they had a 241 offer on so it wasnt bad, but them in and really happy with them they are not yellow but a nice white

hope this helps
biggs312800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 18:51   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
According to the Highway Code foglights should only be used in sub 100m visibility. Given the number of folk that drive with them on these days there are either a lot of ill-informed or visibly impaired drivers.

I .
Thats true IF used on their own .
If they are used in conjuction with headlamps you can have them on anytime ....
Cant see much point in them myself , if it's foggy you might JUST be able to pick out the kerb with them but whats going on in front is more important and in Heavy fog you can only look at one place at a time . no periferal vision .
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:34   #26
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Thats true IF used on their own .
If they are used in conjuction with headlamps you can have them on anytime ....
Cant see much point in them myself , if it's foggy you might JUST be able to pick out the kerb with them but whats going on in front is more important and in Heavy fog you can only look at one place at a time . no periferal vision .
See:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069859

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Therefore you most certainly cannot have them on at any time. I have yet to see a modern car that you can switch foglights on without at least sidelights or dipped beam.

Last edited by iainmd; Nov 19th, 2008 at 11:42.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 17:27   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

I got that from the highway code when i passed my test i did memorise every word of it and that was the state of play at the time ( ok it was a while ago now ! )
. It seems they have tighened up on the rules .
Fog lights were designed to be used on their own without headlamps to pick out the kerb and white line with their 4 inch high fan shaped beam , this gave little back glare and worked reasonably well . Todays cars dont allow you to use them on their own , you have to have dip headlamps on too which cause back glare anyway and wipe out and advantage of front fog lights which still have the same narrow and wide beam pattern so why do they still fit them ?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 19:32   #28
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Maybe I am on my own here but I face plenty of oncoming traffic each evening that have front fog lights on and none have them have ever caused a glare. Rear fogs are a real pain and a genuine issue but I don't have a problem with front ones. Please don't confuse this comment with whether it is legal or not, I just don't really see the point in getting worked up by front fogs. (I also don't use front ones so no need for any lectures)
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 20:17   #29
iainmd

I hadn't any intention of lecturing anyone. Personally I do find their use irritating (especially at night when they glare off a wet road surface) but that's purely my opinion.

Back to the original point though, I guess some people use them to supplement the poor main beam lights (as per the OP). I've now met 6 people through work or sporting committments that have had Volvos from new and the factory beam adjustment has been very low on them all.

The next car I go for I think I'll try Bi-Xenons to see if the light pattern is improved.

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 20:22   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

I can vouch for that about the beams . i have driven a handful of S40/V50 in the complete dark and on B roads its not safe to go over 50 mph due to the beams hitting the ground just over a car length or two in front .. a tweak on the screws transformed them