Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 850 ignition switch wanted

Views : 1056

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2021, 12:00   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollster View Post
The door lock on the drivers side just turns both ways and not engaging. The passenger one has never worked and jammed solid and the boot one came out when i tried turning it. The fob worked intermittently and i used to put batteries in quite frequently. I have used the key for the past few months. If there is a way of getting to the battery to charge it up i might be able to try with new batteries in the fob probably? If i take an indicator out could i get to the bonnet catch to release it do you know? Thanks.
the shaft from barrel to lock on the front door key locks shears after a while , lack of lubrication ..
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 12:11   #12
woollster

Thanks for the reply. Once i am in the car i can take the door panel off and sort it.
woollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2021, 12:24   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollster View Post
If there is a way of getting to the battery to charge it up i might be able to try with new batteries in the fob probably? If i take an indicator out could i get to the bonnet catch to release it do you know? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If for some reason the key doesn't work to unlock the car, if you jack the front up you should be able to find the starter motor and connect the +ve jump lead to the terminal fed by the heavy red cable from the battery then connect to the +ve terminal of a slave battery/jump start vehicle.

Connect the -ve lead to the -ve on the slave/jumper then connect the other end to the chassis. Give it a few minutes to get some charge in the battery if using a car to supply the slave then operate the remote fob button.

This should get the car unlocked, make sure you open a door and pop the bonnet so you're not locked out again then remove the jump leads in the reverse order.

DO NOT ATTEMPT to start the car with the leads connected like this, the connection on the starter will be marginal at best for that kind of current and the jerk of the engine turning over may cause the lead to short to earth, resulting in potentially 2 exploding batteries and if you're using a car to jump it to unlock it, possibly the alternator on that too.

Fit the jump leads onto the battery terminals where they can get a better grip and the battery won't move when the engine is turned over but remember that an alternator won't charge a flat battery!

Ideally now remove the battery and charge it off the vehicle and when you come to refit it, we can help you diagnose why it wasn't charging.

I've already explained the easiest way to get the car unlocked, most indicators need to have the bonnet open to be removed so you'd be in a Catch 22 situation removing an indicator to open the bonnet.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: