Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where have they all gone?!

Views : 4449

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2021, 10:45   #1
James_N
VOC Member

Default Where have they all gone?!

Hi All

I'm a long time out of the volvo owning scene now, but talking to my elderly neighbour over the lockdowns (he loves a volvo too, currently a V50 but hes looking to upgrade after lockdown!), got me into looking at old volvos again.

Usual places like FB, eBay and carandclassic. it seems most are either basket cases, or up there in the 3-4 thousand range. There is even a (very nice looking, admittedly) 740GL estate on car and classic for £8,995!

i notice there aren't many cars for sale on the forum, if at all.

Are they slowly dieing out, or are people just not selling at the moment?

Whilst i think i'd struggle with the fuel bills nowadays now i have a family, i do get a bit down whilst driving my shed Peugeot 106 and long for the glory days of a lovely 740GLE estate (that i paid £100 for! probably need to pay a bit more nowadays!)

Take eBay. There is a well specced 940 on there, but needs a top end rebuild - £1500. I didn't pay that for my Celebration and that was mint when i got it!

Also another nice looking silver late model 940 on the wrong wheels, a supposed "Barn find". The only nice car i can see for reasonable money is this one: https://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/1989...mot/1394581294

Cheers
Jim

Last edited by James_N; Jan 12th, 2021 at 10:49.
James_N is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to James_N For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 11:03   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
Hi All

I'm a long time out of the volvo owning scene now, but talking to my elderly neighbour over the lockdowns (he loves a volvo too, currently a V50 but hes looking to upgrade after lockdown!), got me into looking at old volvos again.

Usual places like FB, eBay and carandclassic. it seems most are either basket cases, or up there in the 3-4 thousand range. There is even a (very nice looking, admittedly) 740GL estate on car and classic for £8,995!

i notice there aren't many cars for sale on the forum, if at all.

Are they slowly dieing out, or are people just not selling at the moment?

Whilst i think i'd struggle with the fuel bills nowadays now i have a family, i do get a bit down whilst driving my shed Peugeot 106 and long for the glory days of a lovely 740GLE estate (that i paid £100 for! probably need to pay a bit more nowadays!)

Take eBay. There is a well specced 940 on there, but needs a top end rebuild - £1500. I didn't pay that for my Celebration and that was mint when i got it!

Also another nice looking silver late model 940 on the wrong wheels, a supposed "Barn find". The only nice car i can see for reasonable money is this one: https://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/1989...mot/1394581294

Cheers
Jim
where are they ? Banger racing ... around 15 get written off at each race !
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 17:34   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk...0/aetv34463630

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1302077

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133634572232

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114601470670
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 18:45   #4
JackMichael

People are realising how good they are compared to modern cars. Prices creeping up, I’m sure that in summer there will be lots for sale at V high prices.

J
JackMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JackMichael For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 19:41   #5
bob12
bob12

Great thread ..... luving it. Yea, let those prices keep rising!!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 21:17   #6
Mkengineering
Master Member

Its become a 'in thing' now. Having a calssic or 90s retro car is more popular than ever before.

You'll see the market for German and Jap cars have shot through the roof aswell. I was lucky to get my evo 6 for 7k and if you look at them now poeple are asking double and sometime triple that!

The days of hoping onto ebay or autotrader and finding a cheap bargin is long gone.

I know its not a volvo but recently I was looking at a e36 328i and the seller wanted 3500! Its covered 189k with the interior looking as if someone set a honey badger in their 🤦🏾*♂️
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 10:32   #7
StrongSpearWorks

It's the BMW E30 rush all over again!

I remember when you could buy (and there were plenty of them) an e30 touring for £1000 with a sensible spec and one or two owners with a full history. You can't even get a 20 owner box of spanners for that now!

Last edited by StrongSpearWorks; Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:33. Reason: A thousand, not one hundred.
StrongSpearWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StrongSpearWorks For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 23:02   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Our S70 needed a little professional TLC just before Christmas thanks to a car park argument at the golf club. The S70 is Mrs Jack's chariot, whilst I have my old S90.

When the S70 was returned to us the body shop manager asked us if we realised how much the cars were worth. Guessing at perhaps £1000 each, I was totally surprised when he said each of them reach would be five times that, maybe more. The S70 has well over 220,000 miles on, the S90 a mere 125,000, and both are in really excellent condition, considering their combined age of 47 years!

Apparently, as has been said, cars in good condition from the nineteen-nineties are increasing in value because they're recognised as well-engineered, built to last, and far less complicated than modern offerings. They're also very good to drive and, unlike the latest models, don't all look the same.

(What has happened to style and design? Honestly, can you tell the difference between the manufacturers these days without looking at the badge?)

The most modern car I've ever driven was a newish Ford Fiesta, loaned to me for a few days a couple of years ago. And compared with either of our old Volvos it really was dreadful. It felt cheap and tacky, flimsy in the extreme, and with a dashboard the complexity of which wouldn't have been out of place in a video arcade game.

The one older car that seems to be available still at bargain prices is the Saab 9-5. Oddly, the 9-3 (which is a Vectra in a fancy frock) is starting to command higher money, but the 9-5 appears to be relatively unloved.

The message has to be if you've got an older Volvo in good shape then hang on to it. And (as we have done) sort out some additional security as a matter of urgency.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 23:31   #9
TurnipSpeed
TurnipSpeed

Having bought a v70 diesel 2007 my as a stop-gap while I fixed my 940, I have just scrapped the v70 for £300.
It lasted four months!
Too many fault codes to make it worth keeping, unlike my 940, which seems so easy to keep on the road, is fun to drive and own, and I am proud to own.
Best 20-plus year old cars on the market?
TurnipSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TurnipSpeed For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 11:12   #10
haymitch

Out of interest, what additional security are you using capt jack?

Last edited by haymitch; Jan 15th, 2021 at 11:15.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post: