Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternative headlight wiper fittings?

Views : 1065

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2021, 11:34   #1
Tim1980

Default Alternative headlight wiper fittings?

Hi,

I'm searching for the plastic headlight wiper fittings that sit upon the metal arms. Volvo only sell the complete metal arms and fittings for £75 each side.

I have searched the internet and these V70/850 arms also have similar looking plastic fittings on the end, the hose and wiper fittings at the business end.

I know the arm will be different, but I only need the plastics fittings.

Does anyone know if the fittings can be made to go on my 740 wiper arms? Or does anyone have both types of car who could have a quick look?

As these V70 parts are on eBay for £20 a pair I could save a lot of money buying the V70 arms and fittings, and using the fittings on my wiper arms.

Last edited by Tim1980; Jan 19th, 2021 at 11:37.
Tim1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 15:44   #2
bob12
bob12

Couldn't quite work out the photo .... but if it's for a 700 Series as per my pic you should still be able to get them from your Volvo main dealer. At least I did a few or maybe too many years ago!.

They are/were oem Bosch and handed, Pt Nos. 03518091and 92. That should be enough for the dealer to trace them.

If you get problems have a look on the Skandix.de website to availability. I am not suggesting you buy from them!!

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210119_152532_resized.jpg (317.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by bob12; Jan 19th, 2021 at 15:46.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 16:07   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

With yours being a 740 facelift Tim, there's every chance that 940 headlight wiper blades/arms will be correct. These are about 4.5" long on the blades, unlike the original 740 that had 5" blades (think that's the length Bob?) but more importantly, the arms are different.

Luke (360beast) is currently breaking a 1995 940 so may well have a pair of wiper arms for the headlights and if you ask him nicely he'll probably supply the blades and securing nuts too.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...33#post2699433

If not he may have some in stock. Paint the arms whatever colour you like but on my 760 they are a mid-dark grey metallic. I found Halfords "Steel Wheel Silver" and another brand were almost identical matches so used that, seeing as i had started refurbing my wheels with that colour. My interweb is playing up thanks to all the wet stuff so can't access my photos at the moment or i'd post a pic as i also did the main wiper arms the same colour.

***EDIT*** finally managed to get the photos up so here's a pic of the main wiper arms to give you an idea of the colour i did mine :

You should be able to find the shorter 4.5" blades on fleabay easily, they also fit certain Saabs as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jan 19th, 2021 at 16:09. Reason: Add pretty picture
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 16:40   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Sadly the 940 breaker only has one headlight wiper arm and luckily it is the one I need for my 940!
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 17:16   #5
Tim1980

Thanks guys.

I don't need the arm and blades, at least not yet.

It's just the plastic fittings i need. Volvo won't sall then separate, they want £75 per arm! I only need the plastic ends!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim1980 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 18:26   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1980 View Post
Thanks guys.

It's just the plastic fittings i need. Volvo won't sall then separate, they want £75 per arm! I only need the plastic ends!
Blimey, i've heard of small things costing an arm and a leg but that sounds like an arm and an arm!

Are your headlight wiper blades like this Tim?

I might have one or two of the plastic clips that aren't just clips to hold the blade on but jets as well. Fairly sure i bought a pair from fleabay for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing a couple of years back, i'll try and find the listing again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 18:37   #7
Tim1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Blimey, i've heard of small things costing an arm and a leg but that sounds like an arm and an arm!

Are your headlight wiper blades like this Tim?

I might have one or two of the plastic clips that aren't just clips to hold the blade on but jets as well. Fairly sure i bought a pair from fleabay for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing a couple of years back, i'll try and find the listing again.
Unfortunately no, mine are the bare metal type! Thanks though👍

The have a short plastic piece at the end with the wiper and hose fitting rather than plastic the while length of the arm.

That's a lovely estate in a lovely colour by the way!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim1980 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 18:47   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The part numbers you require are :

LH Jet : 3518091-8 (Currently not in stock, $14 each)

RH Jet : 3518092-6 (In stock, $9 each)

If i've done it right, this should take you to Pg 398 of the GCP catalogue and you can see the Jet is a clip for the wiper arm as well :

https://weblisher.textalk.se/gcp/201...0&noConflict=1

Shows the layout of the washer tubing too.

Those are Volvo part numbers, your local main stealer should be able to order them from GCP without a problem but might take a couple of weeks or so to come from Sweden if they don't have any UK stock.

***EDIT*** Just tried that link, it took me to Pg1! Click in the Pg number box bottom centre, type in 398 and hit return/enter

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Jan 19th, 2021 at 18:52. Reason: GCP page finding instructions + stock/prices
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 18:55   #9
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1980 View Post
Thanks guys.

I replied to the initial post and was aware you wanted the plastic ends with the jet.

The part numbers I gave above are for the plastic inserts that fit (slide over) the end of a wiper metal arm.

They are made by Bosch and at the last count you could get them from a Volvo dealership (some things are amazing). If you experience a problem phone FRF, Swansea, if they are open in the current Covid era.

If you have a Facelift as per my photo the wiper blade is 5" in length compared with the more regular 700 Series 6". They are difficult to source so I make up my own from cut off wiper strips you can buy for 2 x £1 in long lengths in PoundShops!

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Jan 19th, 2021 at 19:02.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 19:06   #10
Tim1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I replied to the initial post and was aware you wanted the plastic ends with the jet.

The part numbers I gave above are for the plastic inserts that fit (slide over) the end of a wiper metal arm.

They are made by Bosch and at the last count you could get them from a Volvo dealership (some things are amazing). If you experience a problem phone FRF, Swansea, if they are open in the current Covid era.

If you have a Facelift as per my photo the wiper blade is 5" in length compared with the more regular 700 Series 6". They are difficult to source so I make up my own from cut off wiper strips you can buy for 2 x £1 in long lengths for PoundShops!

Bob
Thanks. As ever I think I'm having sensory overload, so if I've mistaken you then I'm sorry.

I'll try FRF as my closest, Ryland Chester, could only get the whole arm and fitting for £75

Thanks. I know this is not an important part in terms of the running of the car but with the way things are if i was the screen too many times it could damage the wiper arms or motors so it would be nice to get sorted for pennies rather than hundreds of pounds!

As ever thanks, I'll phone FRF tomorrow with any luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim1980 For This Useful Post: