Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For Sale - Volvo 740 Estate 87, B230K, LPG - Parts/Project

Views : 1782

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2018, 14:39   #1
islipaway

Default For Sale - Volvo 740 Estate 87, B230K, LPG - Parts/Project

£250 South East London

So unfortunately it has come to this. First a nice pic.

Good Bits

Engine shows good compression 160-170 across all cyls on my cheap gauge, difference between each ranges from 5-10psi 148000 miles ish.

M47 Box

Clutch, slave, fork arm, hose, less than 50 miles.

LPG system, with a bit of fiddling this was working well for me, big miles for pennies.

New plugs, coil, battery, leads, dizzy cap.

Silicone vacuum hoses.

Coolant replaced with genuine volvo in last 4 months.

Interior seats are decent.

MOT, until 1st of September.

Various spare parts, carb rebuild kit, some gaskets.

5 940 alloys and 1 full size steel wheel.

New aux belts, timing belt looks good from inspection but unsure of age.

Half a tank of V-Power.

Bad Bits

Differential is broken

Brakes need refurbished

Rough idle when running on petrol, having mostly eliminated the vacuum and electrical side of things I assume this is fuel or carb related. Car drives fine on petrol or lpg but on petrol it occasionally stumbles/recovers when returning to idle.

Typical headlining sag.

Heater core bypassed, the control valve was leaking so I bypassed it as car was only used for occasional sunny day trips.

Underside exhibits quite a bit of rust, not at the point of failure but needs attention.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you made it this far, some background.

I picked this car up off ebay sight unseen for the unholy price of £1400. I was advised by a good friend that any old 740 would last forever and the fact it was on lpg made it seem like a really good choice for for a nice cruiser with a bit of character I could use to explore the south of England having moved here and been mostly unable to get out of the city.

It was pretty good going, I learned a lot and was enjoying tinkering with the car and exploring, all was going well.

I decided to treat the car to a new clutch, slave etc to have a trouble free summer.

The day after the clutch was replaced I went for a quick trip down the M20 and disaster struck. The passenger side rear brake caliper seized and I was spun around 180 degrees and ended up on the verge. I got recovered home and the car sat for a while as I waited (and waited) for the weather to get to a point I could roll around under it and check out the damage. Well that day came and I got the caliper off that was stuck. Progress! Or so I thought. On more inspection it became clear the differential has broke, there's a rough grumbling/rattling noise and it doesn't feel right moving.

So it comes to this. I can't really pursue this any further, I need a car for the summer and I don't have the space to keep this and tax it + another car.

I have been quoted £170-200 for scrap and I could remove some of the smaller parts and sell those separately but I'd rather it went to someone who could make use of it.

More current images incoming.
islipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 21:47   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

That car certainly looks nice, but if it had been almost any other car you might have been seriously injured.
I too have a similar-age 740 estate, which I love as my day-car but am now informed its new and serious water leak may be a cracked water jacket in the head. I don't do much mechanical nowadays so am in a quandary. Do I ask you if your car is back together again or stranded somewhere drive-less? Do I suggest making one car out of two? How does one get to being adjacent to the other (I am a few miles from J8 of the M25 but have no off-road parking) to work on them? Mine has a B230K engine so should I find funds to swap engines, or you to consider an axle swap from my car?
I hate day-car dilema's - they consume too much time for life's important projects and other things... Any ideas?

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 22:22   #3
islipaway

Hi, my car is in one piece and sort of out of the way parked in a bay overlooked by the flats I live in. It can move around enough to maneuver but I wouldn't use it over any distance and I am certainly not equipped to do an engine swap!

Like you I lack the space, if I could keep it off the road and work on it over time I would, as it stands it needs to go as it continues to consume my funds in tax and my waking thoughts, upset with the loss and frustrated by the inability to repair it. I will be moving back to Scotland in 6 months-1 year and my next car needs to be a bulletproof reliable hauler, which this definitely could be but I just don't have the time or patience anymore.

It is MOTed so could remain on the road at your location for another 4 months or so.

I did a quick quote on anyvan.com and it looks like it would cost about £100 to transport the car from me to you.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 16:31   #4
islipaway

Took a while - here's some more pictures. Gonna keep this up here and elsewhere for a week or so, then ebay, then try and save a few bits and scrap I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2590.jpg (296.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2591.jpg (391.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2588.jpg (296.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2585.jpg (342.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2586.jpg (283.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2587.jpg (273.4 KB, 40 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to islipaway For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2018, 12:25   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You have a PM - something i'm interested in if you end up removing bits and scrapping the rest.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2018, 00:12   #6
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Hi ,

Is the car still availble ?

Kind regards
Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 14:20   #7
islipaway

Hi, I have taken a deposit but the car's not been collected yet, holding till end of the month.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to islipaway For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 16:22   #8
volvo760estate

hi, if you do end up selling parts, i would be interested in the whole interior as i want to change the colour of my car interior, currently black

cheers ben
volvo760estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo760estate For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 17:12   #9
islipaway

Thanks for the interest, The Vasa is now in the hands of another early 740 fan, hoping to make one better car out of two. Couldn't really have hoped for a better outcome.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to islipaway For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 19:18   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Good to see a happy ending
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: