Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Automatics, how do you pull away quickly?

Views : 10696

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2013, 12:56   #21
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

1) Plant right food while in Drive.
2) Get pushed back in seat.
3) Look at speedo to see the needle flying clockwise.
4) ????
5) Profit!

The other option is to hold your left foot on the brakes, bring the RPM up by a few hundred - 1600or so, until its "straining at the leashe" and then come off the brakes and to full throttle at the same time. By that point the torque converter will be working and moving fluid, so theres a bit less delay.

James
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2013, 13:08   #22
capt jack
VOC Member

It's funny, but I reckon it's easier to pull away quickly in a modern auto than in any manual car.

Modern autoboxes are designed to be left in D all the time, even when standing at lights or a junction.

Keep your foot on the footbrake whilst stopped, or engage the handbrake and leave the selector in D. To move off simply take your right foot off the brake, or release the hand brake, and the drive will start to take up at once. By the time you've moved your right foot to the gas pedal the car will already be moving forward and so pushing down the gas pedal will make the car move more quickly.

You can set the gearbox to S mode if it has one, but frankly that just wastes fuel.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 13:47   #23
mikealder
VOC Member

A word of warning if your car has the 5 speed auto box which also has the stop neutral feature still active, with this combination when stationary with the footbrake applied the box switches to neutral, when you lift off the foot brake the car engages drive. Trying to hold one of these on the footbrake whilst raising the engine RPM will damage the box when you release the brake pedal.
About the only way to do this is to apply the handbrake as this puts the car back in to drive, raise the RPM then release the handbrake - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2013, 14:04   #24
Darth Vol
Exploring Europe

Place it into "Sports" mode and away you go.
Old May 10th, 2013, 17:36   #25
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

I leave mine in drive all the time and if I want to make a quick getaway..I just floor it! Some people reckon the S80 is a bit sluggish away from the lights,I dunno....mine ain't might be against a T-5 or something...I do agree with a slight rolling start however,you do get more poke.
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Northface For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2013, 18:02   #26
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vol View Post
Place it into "Sports" mode and away you go.
No sports mode on mine. Its a 940, so possibly too old for sports mode?

Its got a caravan pulling mode where if you activate it, it will never go into top gear, but I think that's not the same thing.

I probably should have said she's not exactly slow at pulling away. From a standing start she could do ok, and from a slight rolling start she'll do better than many cars. I guess I was comparing her against my old manual 940 which although less powerful in the mid revs (being non-turbo), she could get away from a stand-still a bit quicker because I had a clutch

That said, maybe its best that I don't have a clutch now. I accidentally did a 180 in my last 940 trying to pull out of a junction quickly.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 18:46   #27
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default turbo

Put a 19T turbo on it and boost to 20 psi
Old May 10th, 2013, 18:58   #28
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
Put a 19T turbo on it and boost to 20 psi
Doesn't matter what turbo you put on. A turbo doesn't do much at all while the revs are low, such as pulling away from a standing start. Once the revs get up to the kind of place where the turbo might start thinking about maybe waking up, there's already enough power being laid down for my liking anyway.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 19:05   #29
Palmer
Premier Member

I brake boost mine. Takes off quite nicely as the turbo is already spooled before your moving. Probably not good on a fancy modern auto though.
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 19:09   #30
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default launch

You could always install launch control like mine has!