Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sagging headlining

Views : 1968

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2018, 20:47   #11
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Reckon your only option now is to drop the headliner inside the car (which you would have to do in any case if you got a replacement headliner; which seems a waste if the existing is OK), and look carefully at why what shouldn't happen is happening!

Then, depending on what you find .... if it were me as a final solution, I would acquire from an estate breaker a couple of plastic turnbuckle fittings; make up two new metal brackets to accept them; superglue them to the metal of the roof in the the pre-formed 'ridge area' of the existing headliner, and put a hole in the existing headliner to match the hole in the brackets in a similar way to what I had to do when I found the front roof fixings of a 940 where in a slightly different place to a 745. It was a fiddle but has worked to provide support.

Let us know how you get on.

Bob.
Many thanks Bob for your advice, and your suggestion about turnbuckles, trouble is I'm a little too old and infirmed to be tackling such work, I suppose I was after the impossible, a easy solution ! I had even considered squirting a bit of expanding foam into the preformed channel section with the headliner propped up till it set, but that could be risky, David.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 09:56   #12
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

I'll risk asking the obvious question, if your original backing board was sound why did you not simply recover that ?

Next - this isn't a criticism of the OP but this headlining issue is really tedious and should be a sticky, when I was Register Keeper (I have to be aware of the bully boy moderators who threaten me for mentioning that - shocking but true) I wrote a piece on just this subject and submitted it...where it went who knows ?

The new Register Keeper has never been seen here, all we see, and I'm sorry, are anodyne write ups in the magazine.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:28. Reason: typos/spelling
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 10:43   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You've missed something somewhere Jon - the problem is the whole backing board is sagging in the area of the interior light. Not the material but the board, which on later 9xx models appears to be corrugated cardboard, as opposed to the thick, stiff cardboard used on 7xx models.

I have a similar problem now i've fitted a headliner from a 960 to my 760, however that's because there's a small clip that is meant to hook into the cross-brace or the bottom of the sunroof liner and i missed it when putting the new one in.
I've suggested to David that perhaps this hook/clip is missing on his and he's checked and it would appear to be the case. Hence faffing about with plastic box section and double-sided foam tape.
It seems (from what i can glean from David) that the tape he's used, while incredibly strong is also very thin - approx 0.6mm and that the roof is covered internally in some form of anti-rust coating.
My guess is the coating is nowhere near as smooth as the average painted surface so the tape isn't able to adhere to it.

I've suggested several thickness of tape to build up the compliance of the tape so it has more of a chance of adhering to the uneven surface of the coating, whether he will try this or not i don't know.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 11:35   #14
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Hear what you say, not sure I've missed something that perhaps wasn't too clear in the first instance. I've done a few headliners - even offered to do masterclasses at BKVs (no interest, and that isn't a moan just a fact).

I've taken the headlining out of my spares 744 as a dry run as I have the headliner to do on my 744.

I think my spares car has a 944 headliner.

Jon.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 12:01   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
The headlining in my 940 saloon is deflecting/sagging across the middle, the facing material does not feel as though its come away from the backing board, its the board itself that has dropped,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Hear what you say, not sure I've missed something that perhaps wasn't too clear in the first instance. I've done a few headliners - even offered to do masterclasses at BKVs (no interest, and that isn't a moan just a fact).

I've taken the headlining out of my spares 744 as a dry run as I have the headliner to do on my 744.

I think my spares car has a 944 headliner.

Jon.
That's the bit i think you missed Jon, it is the "biscuit" that is sagging. Just for fun, Davids car has no sunroof either.

I've not been to a BKV event yet but from my experience with Rovers, at events like that people tend to go there to celebrate the cars, pick up hard-to-find spares, look at other peoples cars and whatever mods/improvements they've done rather than have work done on their own cars.
As such that would probably explain the total lack of interest as they would either have to strip their headlining out on the day or drive there with the headliner perched precariously above their heads - neither option would appeal to me to be honest!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 12:08   #16
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
...I've not been to a BKV event yet but from my experience with Rovers, at events like that people tend to go there to celebrate the cars, pick up hard-to-find spares, look at other peoples cars and whatever mods/improvements they've done rather than have work done on their own cars.
As such that would probably explain the total lack of interest as they would either have to strip their headlining out on the day or drive there with the headliner perched precariously above their heads - neither option would appeal to me to be honest!
There I go again ! Didn't intend to begin a BKV discussion (no interest in BKVs, I'll try not mention), anyway the offer was to recover an existing biscuit and show how it was done - that's all.

I once even offered to go to a forum member's house to do one..!

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 13th, 2018 at 12:23. Reason: addition...I once...
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 12:43   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It would be nice to go to a BKV but finding someone to let me know when, where, how to book my car in and so on is like trying to find a purveyor of unicorn manure.

Old Jun 13th, 2018, 12:49   #18
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
I'll risk asking the obvious question, if your original backing board was sound why did you not simply recover that ?

Next - this isn't a criticism of the OP but this headlining issue is really tedious and should be a sticky, when I was Register Keeper (I have to be aware of the bully boy moderators who threaten me for mentioning that - shocking but true) I wrote a piece on just this subject and submitted it...where it went who knows ?

The new Register Keeper has never been seen here, all we see, and I'm sorry, are anodyne write ups in the magazine.

Jon.
Just like the Laird said, the facing material is good clean and sound, its the backing board that's got the 30mm deflection. David.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 12:54   #19
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You've missed something somewhere Jon - the problem is the whole backing board is sagging in the area of the interior light. Not the material but the board, which on later 9xx models appears to be corrugated cardboard, as opposed to the thick, stiff cardboard used on 7xx models.

I have a similar problem now i've fitted a headliner from a 960 to my 760, however that's because there's a small clip that is meant to hook into the cross-brace or the bottom of the sunroof liner and i missed it when putting the new one in.
I've suggested to David that perhaps this hook/clip is missing on his and he's checked and it would appear to be the case. Hence faffing about with plastic box section and double-sided foam tape.
It seems (from what i can glean from David) that the tape he's used, while incredibly strong is also very thin - approx 0.6mm and that the roof is covered internally in some form of anti-rust coating.
My guess is the coating is nowhere near as smooth as the average painted surface so the tape isn't able to adhere to it.

I've suggested several thickness of tape to build up the compliance of the tape so it has more of a chance of adhering to the uneven surface of the coating, whether he will try this or not i don't know.
Just a small point Dave, the 3M VHB tape I used is 1.1mm thick, I intend to try and clean as much as possible the inside of the metal to the roof (access through the light hole) then try the tape again, David.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 13:10   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You've got the "110" tape then and not the "060" as i thought David. Either way it might pay to add a few thicknesses of tape to try and get it to conform with the surface, especially with such a small hole to see and get your hands through.