Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil preference

Views : 1400

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2018, 17:43   #1
Petey80
Premier Member

Default Oil preference

It's almost time to change the oil and filter.

I usually use Castrol MAGNATEC 5w30 A5 as either Asda, Tesco etc. have it for fairly cheap on occasion. However, I've been keeping an eye on it for weeks now and it's always at full price.

So considering getting another brand of oil that is also A5 spec.

At the moment, the Shell Helix Ultra Pro AF has my attention - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-198038...20engine%20oil

5 litres [even though I only need just under 4] for £26 is pretty good.

Any other brands you guys rate or wouldn't have issues putting in your own car?

If an oil is spec'd correctly - A5 - do you think oil is oil and any brand will do?

Not sure how I feel about going from Castrol to Halfords own for example.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 17:59   #2
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile oil ponderings

I think magnatec sounds good especially if you do a lot of short journeys where it seems to claim to give better protection with its clingy moleculey formula!

I have seen some ford badged 5L magnatec castrol oil going at better than average price thru ford dealers, might be worth a check.. Personally ive always stuck with castrol as its volvos oil of choice that they would have tested extensively.. it would be interesting to get a sample of oil analysed at its change time, and there are people offering such a service out there, and make some comparisons. Think the main thing is to change it !.. ive seen so many used cars where there is no record of any oil change at all, one i saw had gone after a first service had done 35k miles without a change, for me that was a deal breaker!
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 19:25   #3
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Shell is good oil, better than magnatec.
Volvo afaik use/recommend castrol edge which is superior to magnatec. The tiny amount of ester in magnatec is what clings to metal surfaces, but in practice makes little difference as the amount is so small. Magnatec is an 'ok' oil, its not crap but edge/shell/mobil/fuchs etc are better. Itll be fine with the right oci's, but you pay a premium for something average.
The guys at opie are always happy to answer questions if you want further advice, though they tend to prefer a blanket 'these will be fine' answer with a list of oreferred oils.
Oil isnt just oil btw, yes they might meet the same specs, but where a cheap one will meet them at a basic level when fresh, the make-up of the oil wont withstand the same punishment or have the same lifespan as a premium oil, which will comfortably meet or exceed spec when new, and maintain its capabilities better for longer. If you drive gently and change oil every 5-8k cheaper stuff will do, if the engine does a lot of stop-start, gets punted about a bit, if 24 month 18k oci's are used etc, and you want your engine to maintain its performance be it power and/or economy, only use reputable big-name brands.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Jun 12th, 2018 at 19:32.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 20:24   #4
960kg
Premier Member

I haven`t read ALL the post`s and complicated numbers for oil spec but Volvo recommends are according to year and model of motor involved......

Having owned previously Volvo`s for 30 years and using mainly 10W 40 magnatec i can vouch to use this oil in pre VVT models including Turbo`s. It is a superb oil.
Having said that never use it in VVT engines or Diesel as it clogs terribly the EGR valve and it will mess up the VVT system and make it fail. Been there and got the T shirt.......had 3 VVT`s fail in 57,000 miles until i used a straight 5W 30 oil.

Just my practical experience and not hearsay or pub talk!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 20:59   #5
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yeah, its a decent enough oil. Not superb, but decent. Older engines that take 10w40 are less fussy/complicated so a decent additive pack and base oil with regular changes will do wonders.
More modern stuff benefits to a much greater degree from good oil.
Run the psa 1.6hdi from new on total ineo ecs 5w30, change thoroughly every 10k and the engine will be fine. Use cheap crap and do half-arsed changes, you pretty much guarantee black death and turbo failure, hence their (not entirely unfounded) bad reputation.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 21:47   #6
Billggski

Castrol Edge as recommended by Volvo, £26.99 for 4l on Amazon.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billggski For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 10:07   #7
Petey80
Premier Member

Thanks for the replies, most helpful. Something to think about.

Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 11:51   #8
Petey80
Premier Member

Been doing a bit of Google research. Many probably know this already, but I didn't so have learned something new today.

The car and manual recommend Castrol and state the below grade/specification/viscosity for my engine D4162T

oilmanual by Pete, on Flickr

So, I have been using this oil since I bought it last year;

oil by Pete, on Flickr

And going off the above/below information, should be the ideal one for my engine [MY2010 D2 D4162T]

Oil specifications by Pete, on Flickr

The Shell oil that I linked to is API SL graded which according to the above is for 2004 and older cars.

My car is 2010 [but 2011 when using VIDA] so the API SN grade should be used, which is the above Castrol that I've been using for the past year and 4 oil changes.

The Castrol Edge is graded API SL and 0w30 as their 5w30 is not the correct spec - https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united...ity/5w-30.html

Quite interesting finding out what all the different gradings mean.

Old Jun 13th, 2018, 12:20   #9
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Dont pay too much attention to the API categories, they are a bit odd and not too aplicable outside the usa and their home grown engines. I dont recall offhand why in particular.
If Volvo state A5 0w30 or 5w30 and the oil meets this criteria is tge primary concern.
Oil specs are a complicated issue, for example a modern all singing all dancing oil may be fantastic, but put it in an engine from the 80's and you can face serious problems, whereas a 'lesser' 'vastly outdated' spec is actually superior and will protect the engine much better. Take a few cars from say 2010, whilst Volvo's rivals may require more in-depth specs such as vw504/507, Gm Dexos 2, Bmw ll-04, psa 22971 etc, Volvo simply require A5/B5 which can be considered a lesser spec, thus, considered worse, but can be better, having a higher tbn, better long term wear resistance, etc. In actuality all the above specs would be fine in the volvo, and could offer better performance in some areas, but arent strictly superior to A5/B5 on the whole.
Ive written a good chunk here, but its the tip of the iceberg and then some...

Brand name, 0w30/5w30 A5 is what you want to look for, leave it there! (Unless you want a severe headache, the more you know about oil, the more questions it creates, though its fascinating (for some))
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 23:25   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Me again...
The Api thing has been bugging me.
If a superior oil meets a lower (considered outdated) api spec than a lesser oil, there will be a reason, which will probably be one or more ingredient(s) not permissible or not permissible at the same levels in the newer spec, for 'modern' reasons, that the manufacturer has included for performance reasons which deny it the later classification.
My research has come up shy, but what I have found is that SN only permits 20% less phosphorous than SL. If youve heard people banging on about this 'magic' ingredient zddp in oil, that is Zinc D(something)D(something)Phosphate, then the phosphorus levels are to do with the proportion of this substance. Thus I would make an educated conclusion that this is why Edge (& others) that are simply A5/B5 with few other specs only, have too much zddp to meet SN and other manufacturers specs, thus are only rated SL. In the right engine, with appropriate catalytic converter, this will provide improved wear protection over the later specs. As such, like mentioned earlier, using an older spec oil can (where appropriate) be better than a later one.
I suspect this is (at least one reason) behind Volvos call for simply A5/B5 in an era of 'cleaner' oil specs.