Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 & Roadhawk DC 2 Dash Cam

Views : 3442

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 12:41   #11
AJC30

DDpai mini 2 looks very discrete I have tints in the back so it will be invisible from outside so l,ll look into fitting one as soon as I can. I’ve always done all my own upgrades on cars but I chucked my Ducati into a drystone wall in the bad weather in the borders last weekend no broken bones but still not as bendy as I was again yet.....oops ! I’ve probably learned a lesson regarding the dealer talking up the job when as you say with a bit of thought an planning it can be done with little or no problems.
As I said the front cam is now sorted but I will fit the rear one thanks for your advice it’s always good to know a product is recommended because it is being used without issues
AJC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 15:24   #12
Quacker
Premier Member

Here are a few pictures of my Ddpai and Goluk installations in the Volvo.
When the ignition is switched on, we are greeted with "Hi, Goluk" from the front and "Hello ding ding pie" from the back cameras. The volume of each is adjustable thank goodness.
Ddpai is also available in black, which if I had known would have been better for the back untinted window. If tinted it wouldn't matter at all.
The picture out of the windscreen has been edited so that irrelevant stuff is hidden.

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

I forgot to mention that both brands come with wi-fi remote battery driven buttons that I've such in front of the gear selector. These are for convenient quick protection of short clips from six seconds before and six seconds after the button press. These will not then get over-written.

One tip, the current sweet spot for SD cards is 32GB class ten as far as value goes. It is the size that also suits dash cams so they retain a good few hours of footage before a file is over-written.
Goluk usually come supplied with an SD card. Most don't.
Ddpai currently selling on Amazon for £50 plus free promotions, which is pretty much unbeatable value. It's all you need if you don't hard wire it. Plus a micro SD card of course. £10 for a Samsung 32GB card.

Last edited by Quacker; Jun 16th, 2018 at 15:41.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 16:07   #13
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quacker what is the night vision like on these two dashcams, especially the rear facing one as there are no headlights lighting up the field of view.
I have a cheap cam in the rear of my XC90 and its next to useless at night. Night mode only lights up reflective signs like number plates but everything else is too dark. And you have to start car then go to the back of car lift tailgate and press the night mode button manually before setting off so never gets activated.

Anyone thinking about buying a dashcam and it says it has night mode check to see how it is activated before buying. Especially if its for the rear view.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 16th, 2018 at 16:14.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 16:52   #14
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Quacker what is the night vision like on these two dashcams, especially the rear facing one as there are no headlights lighting up the field of view.
I have a cheap cam in the rear of my XC90 and its next to useless at night. Night mode only lights up reflective signs like number plates but everything else is too dark. And you have to start car then go to the back of car lift tailgate and press the night mode button manually before setting off so never gets activated.

Anyone thinking about buying a dashcam and it says it has night mode check to see how it is activated before buying. Especially if its for the rear view.
No tiny sensor camera will light up total darkness and no camera will work with headlights aimed at it. They will work quite well on lit streets however.
Forget those with infra-red array around the lens. They are useless, because the range is tiny.
There is no manual night mode on these two models or any other that I have, although they do automatically EV-compensate somewhat. They do not record speed or have satellite location. None of which are necessary on dash cams and are features that are seldom, if ever utilised.
Have a look at various Youtube reviews for comparisons, while remembering that many reviewers like to nitpick on very minor differences to fill time
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 17:19   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
No tiny sensor camera will light up total darkness and no camera will work with headlights aimed at it. They will work quite well on lit streets however.
Forget those with infra-red array around the lens. They are useless, because the range is tiny.
There is no manual night mode on these two models or any other that I have, although they do automatically EV-compensate somewhat. They do not record speed or have satellite location. None of which are necessary on dash cams and are features that are seldom, if ever utilised.
Have a look at various Youtube reviews for comparisons, while remembering that many reviewers like to nitpick on very minor differences to fill time
Thanks, my rear view cam is the infra-red type and as you say only picks up very close reflective images like car number plate of car very close up. It was a very cheap thing but works fine in daylight but I need a better one and will put this one in my Defender as a front camera when I replace it with a better one.
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 23:23   #16
toymaker2

Not sure that I agree that the dealer is just saying what suits them. I was told the same by my dealer about fitting a Road hawk to my 2017 V90 D5 Inscription. I subsequently e mailed Volvo customer support to ask the question and received the following reply.

I have raised this query with our Accessories Team and have responded with the below.

The V90 has an ASDM "Active Safety Domain Master" situated in the top centre of the windscreen under the rear view mirror. This controls City Safety, BLIS, Adaptive Cruise Control etc. As such the camera could interfere with the camera-dependent functions and is therefore not recommended by Volvo.

Damages to components caused by modification or alteration so that the car no longer conforms to its original specification will invalidate your warranty policy.

Thank you once again for contacting Volvo Car UK, I hope I have been able to assist.
toymaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 00:08   #17
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaker2 View Post
Not sure that I agree that the dealer is just saying what suits them. I was told the same by my dealer about fitting a Road hawk to my 2017 V90 D5 Inscription. I subsequently e mailed Volvo customer support to ask the question and received the following reply.

I have raised this query with our Accessories Team and have responded with the below.

The V90 has an ASDM "Active Safety Domain Master" situated in the top centre of the windscreen under the rear view mirror. This controls City Safety, BLIS, Adaptive Cruise Control etc. As such the camera could interfere with the camera-dependent functions and is therefore not recommended by Volvo.

Damages to components caused by modification or alteration so that the car no longer conforms to its original specification will invalidate your warranty policy.

Thank you once again for contacting Volvo Car UK, I hope I have been able to assist.
It may be an issue specific to Roadhawk?
There’s plenty of people apart from methat have dashcams on full spec versions of these cars with no issue whatsoever. It’s just a camera for goodness sake, that is positioned to the side of the intellisafe cameras.
I think Volvo are covering their arses at the behest of some rather too careful legal people who have no idea what they are technically talking about but only hear ‘an extra gadget of unknown provenance stuck to the windsceen near safety related equipment’. They are paid to eliminate risk for insurance companies even when there is no real risk. That’s the idiotic world we live in today.

Fit a dashcam at your own risk. Nobody else will risk you suing them, that’s the truth of it, because even if a claim wasabsolutely baseless, there is a fair chance that some dumb jury could award millions in compo.
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 09:50   #18
nu11eaf
Premier Member

The way I interpret the warnings are; there is a camera and radar unit pointing forward at the top of the screen, dont stick anything infront of them or in the indicated angle/range that will interfere with them, which I find obvious.
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 16:00   #19
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
The way I interpret the warnings are; there is a camera and radar unit pointing forward at the top of the screen, dont stick anything infront of them or in the indicated angle/range that will interfere with them, which I find obvious.
Yes and since we are talking about sticking things at a 90 degree angle to them, to the side and in the passenger compartment, there is unlikely to be any issue.

Can anyone here relate any personal experience of a dash cam interfering in any way with the Intellisafe monitors? All I can sat is that mine don't and they are the screenless type that connect to tablet or phone by wi-fi when I choose to do so, which is very seldom.
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 16:56   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
It may be an issue specific to Roadhawk?
There’s plenty of people apart from methat have dashcams on full spec versions of these cars with no issue whatsoever. It’s just a camera for goodness sake, that is positioned to the side of the intellisafe cameras.
I think Volvo are covering their arses at the behest of some rather too careful legal people who have no idea what they are technically talking about but only hear ‘an extra gadget of unknown provenance stuck to the windsceen near safety related equipment’. They are paid to eliminate risk for insurance companies even when there is no real risk. That’s the idiotic world we live in today.

Fit a dashcam at your own risk. Nobody else will risk you suing them, that’s the truth of it, because even if a claim wasabsolutely baseless, there is a fair chance that some dumb jury could award millions in compo.
The Roadhawk is/was an official Volvo UK accessory about 2 years ago , they have all the fitting ,wiring and position instructions . These kind of cameras of most makes produce a lot of interference though so position is chosen carefully . You may find it interferes with the normal radio .