Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Updating a 1976 264. Alloys, smaller bumpers, lowering......

Views : 705

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2018, 22:05   #1
264Driver

Default Updating a 1976 264. Alloys, smaller bumpers, lowering......

Hi Guys.
New owner of a 76' 264.
Bought blind off ebay, oppps lol, its very tired
But complete and seems a good runner.

Like to change the look abit, but only with bolt on changes
Can somebody give advice on what spec alloys (5 x 108 pcd?) Thinking 17" but what offset to give a nice flush with arches look?

Like to lower the stance, couple of inch drop, don't want it to interfere with arches.

Also, I'm sure they are very safe but those huge aluminium bumpers are monsters.
Are there, later?, slightly smaller, neater bumpers that would fit or be made to fit.

Thanks for any help in advance.
264Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:51   #2
264Driver

Have I got the wrong forum for this?
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:52   #3
264Driver

Really like the round headlights look.
Can these be fitted to this model?
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:20   #4
Triple-S
How Old?

Welcome to this rather exclusive part of the 200-series section of Forums - yes you are in the right place. I have always loved these cars although I've sold both my 264 and 265 now, to an enthusiast in South Wales: he wrote an excellent article about their improvement in an edition of the VOC "Driver" magazine last year. I stick to old 4-cylinder Volvo's now!

I think those bumpers have light-impact rams in their mounts so, if identical to Volvo 240s can't directly swap to the earlier non-impact type. The rest of the car is almost identical to the 240: if that includes brake calipers then 15" Virgo alloys certainly update the appearance over steels.

Any chance of a pic or two of your car?

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 12:02   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There is a lot you can do. Being a 76 it is the first year 260 and very few left.

Whatbsort of size alloys were you thinking?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 23:47   #6
264Driver

I'd like to drop it 40/50mm. Anyone recommend springs and makes?

Yes there are the ram bumpers. Can someone post a link to ebay our what these non impact bumpers look like? Thanks.

I'm not sure on the alloys , liking the 17" gunmetal dished multispoked, look. (But also have some 15" gold retro ones I may try) Any idea what offset (ET) I should be aiming for to give flush with arches look?
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 09:55   #7
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 264Driver View Post
Have I got the wrong forum for this?
Probably, yes. Might be worth having a look at Retro Rides. An early 264 might be a good candidate for the VIP look. I’m not sure many on here will have modified their 260’s much; there are a few who have made their red block engined cars go much quicker and sideways. Have you had a look to see what the Swedes do with them?
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 10:06   #8
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 264Driver View Post
I'd like to drop it 40/50mm. Anyone recommend springs and makes?

Yes there are the ram bumpers. Can someone post a link to ebay our what these non impact bumpers look like? Thanks.

I'm not sure on the alloys , liking the 17" gunmetal dished multispoked, look. (But also have some 15" gold retro ones I may try) Any idea what offset (ET) I should be aiming for to give flush with arches look?
No idea on what will work springs wise. Impressed that you’re not just going for the angle grinder though.

If you google 164 or 144 you’ll see cars with similar bumpers to yours and much slimmer ones. They’re pre impact and they won’t fit, the sheet metalwork behind the bumper is different. You could leave the bumpers at the same physical depth but slim them down so they’re tighter to the body and don’t have as much overhang, thus making the car shorter. You’ll need to do this yourself, I’d be amazed if you could buy anything. It’s possible and has been done on similar cars to give a factory look but with a subtle twist; but you’ll either need the skills to do it or deep pockets.

If you like multispokes (and who doesn’t) I guess you’re looking for something like a 240 Torslander rim, but a bigger diameter. I’ve seen a few pics of Volvo’s at Players etc which are properly stanced as the young folks would say; not sure what they’re running but google is your friend here. Re what width rim and offset do I need to fill the arches and then what width and aspect ratio tyre won’t be shredded by the arches, get a tape measure and look at willtheyfit.com

And get some pics up please!
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 12:16   #9
264Driver

Thanks for replies chaps.

Had a quick look at Google. Yeah can see that the 164 bumpers aren't going to fit. But what about the later 240's their bumpers look slimmer plus their front under spoilers. Would they be a straight bolt on?
Really like the no bumper look on certain cars, but pretty sure 240 can't carry that look.

Will look into posting pics.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 22:22   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

As to the lowering there are a few options with 40mm lowering springs on teh market.
For lowering more https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Sprin...5_1625023.aspx

To the bumper I have seen later plastic bump fitted. It not a fully direct swap but not going to be too complex. I have also seen a big bumper car with the bumpers moved back so that could be another option.

I personally prefer the big alloy bumpers
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote