Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shock absorber replacement recommendations 2009 D5 AWD

Views : 4047

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 13:24   #51
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC70Virgin View Post
Lovely stuff.

When you've finished practicing on yours you can come and do mine in half the time!
Thanks but ... Ermmmmm ... No !
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 14:43   #52
Auto Addict

Default Front Bilstein B4 shock absorbers

Finally... reassembly time I find having two trolly jacks helps with such a job immensely... or at the very lease having one good jack and a decent axle stand will save quite a bit of time & hassle by simply lifting from the lower outer wishbone with the jack to force the shock back into it's resting position. That and some copper grease inside the clamp and on the lower tip of the front shock.
Note the Hemmerite satin black pain I applied on previously rusty components such as the upright lower hub/clamp assembly
Also a quick note about the lower shock clamp pinch bolt.
.. In hindsight I wish I ordered 2 new pinch bolts from Volvo as mine were quite corroded. I had to wire brush them both and then soak them in PlusGas for a while to take the edge off. Also worth remembering to apply a bit of medium strength locking fluid on the end of these, as per factory speck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3657.jpg (363.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3642.jpg (274.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3649.jpg (312.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3652.jpg (197.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3640.jpg (195.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3641.jpg (182.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3673.jpg (241.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3674.jpg (223.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3678.jpg (204.3 KB, 26 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auto Addict For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 00:44   #53
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Addict View Post
Yeah, I'm aware of that (highlighted above) and what FoMoCo stands for thanks The XC60 in particular shares its platform with the Land Rover Freelander 2 (which IIRC FORD owned at the same time as VOLVO) and their own FORD KUGA SUV which they are both probably based on.
BTW... the so called " Genuine FORD" parts are sometimes more expensive than the so called "Genuine VOLVO" parts PAS pumps come to mind as a good example, which are actually made by ZF in Germany.
As for suspension parts, they are only stamped FoMoCo but are actually made by Sachs, Febi Bilstein, Lemforder, etc., ... I know this as I've just changed most of my suspension as you can clearly see in this thread.
That makes sense, as Ford don't actually manufacture the suspension components for their vehicles themselves (They use a company like Sachs, stick the Ford logo on it & then increase the price because they (Ford) claim its a "genuine" part that they made, eventhough it was another company like Sachs that made the part in the first place ).

The same applies to oil filters that have Volvo stamps on them... Volvo don't manufacture filters (They use Mann ones & put the Volvo stamp on it). So much so, you may come across an oil filter for example that has the Volvo & Mann stamp on it if you look closely. Always comes in handy when buying parts for vehicles, as many "aftermarket" brands are actually the companies that manufacture & supply the parts to the car manufacturers. Yet, when you go into a parts department in a dealership, the price for a particular part will usually be higher than the exact same one that you can buy off the internet from an "aftermarket" brand just because it hasn't got the Volvo badge on it.

So, buying quality "aftermarket" brands like Febi Bilstein, Lemforder etc are great choices. Obviously, you're aware of this Auto Addict, but just for others who may be reading this thread & are thinking of buying "genuine" Volvo parts, you don't have to for the reasons mentioned earlier in this post. The oil filter Volvo sell you is a Mann filter with their (Volvo) stamp on it & usually a few quid more for the privilege. So shop around, you don't always have to run to the dealership when you need a part.

Great job on the suspension work by the way. Will you have to get a four wheel alignment done now?

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 24th, 2020 at 01:19.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 10:41   #54
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Great job on the suspension work by the way. Will you have to get a four wheel alignment done now?
Thanks Kev No need for full wheel alignment just yet as I marked the original front top mount bolts position with a Sharpie (as per my pix / description) and all the other mounting points such as the front lower pinch clamp, rear shock lower bolt, etc., are all fixed mounting point that only mount one way.
I did notice my front lower arm middle bushes have started to show their age with hairline cracks so that's my next job on the XC60. Once I replace both the of the lower arms I will get the wheel alignment checked ... and adjusted if needed.
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 13:28   #55
moes80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Addict View Post
Finally... reassembly time I find having two trolly jacks helps with such a job immensely... or at the very lease having one good jack and a decent axle stand will save quite a bit of time & hassle by simply lifting from the lower outer wishbone with the jack to force the shock back into it's resting position. That and some copper grease inside the clamp and on the lower tip of the front shock.
Note the Hemmerite satin black pain I applied on previously rusty components such as the upright lower hub/clamp assembly
Also a quick note about the lower shock clamp pinch bolt.
.. In hindsight I wish I ordered 2 new pinch bolts from Volvo as mine were quite corroded. I had to wire brush them both and then soak them in PlusGas for a while to take the edge off. Also worth remembering to apply a bit of medium strength locking fluid on the end of these, as per factory speck.
Nice job !

How was the test drive?
moes80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 00:58   #56
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moes80 View Post
Nice job !

How was the test drive?
Thanks Moe ... predictably firmer (as per Bilstein 20% claim) and less floaty as I hopped however I’ve only managed a couple of hundreds miles so far. With a few more miles on I’m expecting for things to settle down further.
2018 VW Golf R DSG