Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oe Volvo Spekaers

Views : 1130

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2020, 12:27   #11
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzobard View Post
So jumping onto MK’s thread, what are the particular attributes of a modern double DIN head unit that would best suit an 850R?
Depends what you're looking for, both in terms of sound quality and connectivity. Is Bluetooth and an aux all you want, or do you want Apple or Android Play, do you want a GPS, or options for backup cameras? On the sound front, are you staying stock, are you going for small upgrades or are you looking at bigger wattage options and a woofer?

Once you know what you want it's as simple as you g to any major ICE place and filtering for those options.
Old May 27th, 2020, 13:35   #12
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Depends what you're looking for, both in terms of sound quality and connectivity. Is Bluetooth and an aux all you want, or do you want Apple or Android Play, do you want a GPS, or options for backup cameras? On the sound front, are you staying stock, are you going for small upgrades or are you looking at bigger wattage options and a woofer?

Once you know what you want it's as simple as you g to any major ICE place and filtering for those options.

Well said cook👌🏾👌🏾
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 13:55   #13
Gonzobard

Sorry, you are right, I wasn’t clear. I’m not looking for improvements in sound quality, the OEM install sounds fine to my untrained ear. The content in the thread so far was focused on the required output from a head unit to match the capability of the existing speakers (and I suppose the separate amp in the R). That was the main aim of my question, rather than DAB, DVD capability etc, so that I know what to look for when choosing a new head unit.
Gonzobard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 14:09   #14
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Sorry, you are right, I wasn’t clear. I’m not looking for improvements in sound quality, the OEM install sounds fine to my untrained ear. The content in the thread so far was focused on the required output from a head unit to match the capability of the existing speakers (and I suppose the separate amp in the R). That was the main aim of my question, rather than DAB, DVD capability etc, so that I know what to look for when choosing a new head unit.
To be fair gonz.

Any new decent headunit will do the job without getting to technical and in depth i just wanted a decent stereo which does my main features. So I ended up with a kenwood👍🏾.

But luckily I got some standard 850 door speakers and it sounds great again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 15:06   #15
Gonzobard

OK, thanks, so any modern head unit should be suitable?
Old May 27th, 2020, 16:40   #16
Cookeh
Premier Member

Pretty much, they all offer around 200W total (normally stated as 4x50W) at 4ohm, so are a direct power replacement to most of the unamped SC-XXX range.

I do apologise, I thought you were looking for a much more specific answer!
Old May 27th, 2020, 21:48   #17
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
OK, thanks, so any modern head unit should be suitable?
Pretty much boss yes👍🏾
The Following User Says Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 22:56   #18
Gonzobard

Thanks gents, sounds like a simple checklist to run through.