Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 04- B5254T3 VVT Phaser

Views : 361

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2020, 21:47   #1
S40T5UK

Default S40 04- B5254T3 VVT Phaser

Hi all,

Long time viewer, first time poster

Long story short, my timing belt snapped and smashed up all 20! Rebuild complete, engine fires up, and cuts out after about 10-15 seconds. Timing bang on to the tooth, fired twice, no ill-effects, double checked valves fine via borescope.

Computer fires me P0016 & P0017 codes, Crankshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A & B. These correlate to the ECM-644A (camshaft position, exhaust) and ECM-643A (camshaft position, inlet).

I believe this is due to the VVT phaser. An important note, I did not touch the T55 torx holding the cam timing / VVT set. I lifted the cams out of the engine on rebuild whole and back in to the timing marks, which I assumed would be fine. I marked up the cam tooth to the back of the unit to ensure these were aligned, and they remain so.

I recall my exhaust cam spinning backward, which is why I assume it has VVT, but the cams don't have the dome shape like the VVTs. I have rotated the inlet and exhaust back and forth to attempt to engage the spring load, to no avail.

The engine is a B5254T3 for reference. Which leads me to my three questions. Does it have VVT (assume so as the engine cuts out when timed)? If so, is this on both cams (inlet and exhaust)? Finally, how do you engage the phaser spring back function when you haven't fiddled with the VVT units?

It is my thought that once this is enabled, I can hold one or both cams in the full forward position which will be against the tension of the spring, which should then line up with the timing marks. Once the belts on in that fashion, hopefully happy days!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Chris.
S40T5UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 17:45   #2
Welton
Premier Member

Wow what a first post!

These engines are not known to snap cambelts so you got very unlucky there.

I always understood the T5 engine does have VVT with some form of 'intelligent' control over valve timing.

I don't have knowledge of the workings I'm afraid but hopefully someone will on here, please keep us posted!
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 20:14   #3
S40T5UK

Thanks Welton, it was rather messy!

Close to done but need to crack the vvt phaser puzzle. I've attached pics of the cams front and back. Pictures show it better than my explanation!

You can see the rotors were marked in white and correlate to the pulley teeth which are the manufacturers marks. Because I didn't mess with the vvt. These should remain in correlation. However, the computer says no, lol. The only thing I can think is because the spring is not engaging. I can put the belt on without having to hold the cams at their forward position to the marks.

I assume that's why the motor will fire, rough idle and shut down because the ecm detects it as a fault and thus out of range?

Last edited by S40T5UK; May 26th, 2020 at 20:20.
Old May 26th, 2020, 20:19   #4
S40T5UK

Sorry pics too large...