Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Free data MY2020

Views : 4633

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 14:04   #11
pwt

I’m still struggling with this. I have tried using apple devices, android devices and windows laptop but cannot access the Vodafone registration site. Hopefully a fix will emerge.
pwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 08:57   #12
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Hi,

Summary of some information published by Volvo today internally:

"•We are aware of a small number of bugs relating to account registration that are affecting the smooth installation of P-SIMs to customers’cars.

We encourage you to read the following information for helpful tips and advice (instructions I've put on previous posts)

As a general piece of advice, just sticking the P-SIM into the slot and expecting it to connect automatically will NOT work.

We are using a global Vodafone P-SIM that works in a different way to data SIM cards bought in the UK for this purpose.

For this reason, it is imperative that you follow the instructions as there are additional steps required to provision the service, particularly the roaming setting and the APN address.

•Do check that the vehicle is online (globe in top left-hand corner of the centre screen) before trying to create an account. Without this, whilst your device will be connected to the vehicle hotspot, you won’t have any internet access.

•Once the P-SIM has accessed the Vodafone network, the next stage is to create a customer account. We have found Apple devices(and the Safari browser in particular) to be unstable due to the way in which they cache data. Best results have been seen from using non-Apple devices with either Chrome or Firefox, in incognito/private mode. However, if you only have access to Apple devices, use any browser except Safari. We are working with Vodafone to improve this service.

•NB. The oneyear or 100GB data package does not start until the user has created a Vodafone account.Therefore, if the user is having difficulties and has not yet been able to create an account, they are not losing out on their data allowance"

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 16:16   #13
Gnomeface

This seems to be a common problem if you have the "free" Vodafone 100Gb sim card. I spent 2 weeks trying to get this to work properly with the Volvo On Call service without success. The On Call App link is fine, so I can access the car remotely to check that it's locked, etc. etc. but the sim card itself would not link to Vodafone, despite me trying via mobile hot spots, linking to my home wifi, and so on. Today my dealer tried again and after 1/2 hour without success took the car away from the dealer site to a place where the Vodafone network signal was at its strongest. Eventually the sim card and the Vodafone system did connect (it seems to me that any slight drop in signal aborts the process) and the dealer managed to set up my Vodafone account - and the Vodaphone On Call emergency button in the car does now work. If this "free" sim card isn't present (it only started being offered at the beginning of October) the car's built-in sim card links seamlessly to the Volvo On Call service without all these issues.

I later spent another 1/2 hour trying to log on to Vodafone's awful 1990's account system and change the details that the dealer put in for my account to what I wanted. The whole Vodaphone "internetinthecar" experience was a nightmare to set up - and the sim card is only free for 1 year or until the 100Gb data is used up. Volvo's mobile On Call App link is free for 3 years, but don't confuse it with the 1-year Vodafone offer.
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 14:40   #14
Driver Dave

Sorry somehow duplicated post.

Last edited by Driver Dave; Dec 5th, 2019 at 14:43. Reason: Removed duplicate post.
Driver Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 19:50   #15
Driver Dave

I picked up my XC40 on Monday. Having spent over an hour trying to get the Vodafone sim to work we finally got it working. It was fine for the rest of the day.

Tuesday morning the "globe" stubbornly refused to appear, Ihave checked through all the settings several times but without success.

Why do Volvo and Vodafone fit such a useless piece of ****? Tomorrow I am going to swap my "3" sim from my XC90 to see if that will work. In the 90 I just plugged it in and it connected straight away. I would rather spend my money on something that works rather that spending my time trying to sort out problems that should not exist inI the first place.
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 11:14   #16
Driver Dave

So, having tried the "3" sim from my XC90 this morning it worked perfectly as soon as I started the car. No messing about with the car settings or trying to set up a Vodafone account.

Why can't Volvo/Vodafone do it this way.

I will be ordering another "3" data sim for the XC40 and consigning the Vodafone sim to the bin. I have better things to do with my time than to try (and fail) to set up such an overly complicated system.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 16:47   #17
GMcL
0's and 1's

100Gb doesn't actually go very far these days. One OTA map update will blow around a quarter of that.
It's impossible to have all systems loaded with the latest data on delivery if the car has been sat for a month or two in a compound. I suspect that 'free' volume to be insurance if the car needs to update in the first week or so otherwise the PDI process will be a bottleneck with reflashing. After that you have a Vodafone contract or, you use your existing mobile/network provider and make that the network hotspot.

Do new Volvo's allow WiFi connectivity to phones for network ?

You will need a good data contract with your provider if the car uses your mobile data for OTA updates and 'talking' to Volvo servers for satnav etc...

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Dec 7th, 2019 at 17:29.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 15:52   #18
Kraftydj

We recieved our XC40 on Thursday and cannot register the vodafone sim BUT my issue is slightly different and I am asking this to see if it is the problem that volvo are having that is causing this, my car is displaying a signal for the sim and that it is connected to the vodafone network BUT when I create a wifi hotspot to try and register it tells me there's no internet connection and I do not have the globe in the top left corner, the sim card was installed in the car by the dealer on the 14th May 2020 so as had plenty of time to be recognised on the network?
Kraftydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 16:26   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftydj View Post
We recieved our XC40 on Thursday and cannot register the vodafone sim BUT my issue is slightly different and I am asking this to see if it is the problem that volvo are having that is causing this, my car is displaying a signal for the sim and that it is connected to the vodafone network BUT when I create a wifi hotspot to try and register it tells me there's no internet connection and I do not have the globe in the top left corner, the sim card was installed in the car by the dealer on the 14th May 2020 so as had plenty of time to be recognised on the network?
The dealer is supposed to Activate it before you take delivery ! This includes all the apps must be the latest versions which is part of the pdi which is not supposed to be done earlier than 10 days before delivery . The recent shut down may have prevented this.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 17:03   #20
Kraftydj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The dealer is supposed to Activate it before you take delivery ! This includes all the apps must be the latest versions which is part of the pdi which is not supposed to be done earlier than 10 days before delivery . The recent shut down may have prevented this.
Thanks mate, just gone back in the car this time with my iPad waited 15 minutes switched wifi hotspot on and used chrome browser on the iPad and finally got registered and now connected!!! Only taken about 60 hours lol
Kraftydj is offline   Reply With Quote