Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oe Volvo Spekaers

Views : 1131

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2020, 21:03   #1
Mkengineering
Master Member

Default Oe Volvo Spekaers

Right some of you may of read that i have recently changed my burnt out 20+ years speakers out for some aftermarket ones.

Since installing them i will be honest they are actually ****e! The ones i upgraded too were Vibe Slicks. supposed to be a upgrade? Anyway i am finding that they arent all that good. So now i am in search for some Genuine OE Volvo Speakers.

Also to Note no new parts can bought from the dealer at all now. This goes for all 850 Models

Does anyone know where i can get a set of speakers for my car now??
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 22:08   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

I'm not surprised they sound bad, a stock headunit couldn't even drive them properly - let alone two of them AND 6 other speakers. They'll need an amp or more powerful headunit (SC816 or factory amp +SC901 for example).

Obvious source is breaker cars. Try newer C70s for less risk of burnt out ones, but avoid the dynaudio ones (they also require amping).
Old May 25th, 2020, 22:28   #3
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Try newer C70s for less risk of burnt out ones, but avoid the dynaudio ones (they also require amping).
I'm sure the OEMs are not the standard 8 Ohm impedance speakers. Check the rating on the ones you take out + replace like for like - both the impedance and the power rating. If you change the impedance of any speaker pair it alters the output power demands on the amp, which overloads, induces thermal runaway and you end up frying the output stage of either the amp if your system has the separate amp, or the driver unit if your system doesn't have the amplifier.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2020, 23:32   #4
Mkengineering
Master Member

Also just to let you know guys iv upgraded my headunit with a Non OE model
Old May 26th, 2020, 10:58   #5
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
Also just to let you know guys iv upgraded my headunit with a Non OE model
Just out of which one did you fit? I'm thinking about changing the head unit in the V70 to include a screen linked to the reversing camera.

Cheers
Alan

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
Old May 26th, 2020, 15:49   #6
Mkengineering
Master Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Just out of which one did you fit? I'm thinking about changing the head unit in the V70 to include a screen linked to the reversing camera.

Cheers
Alan
I went for a Kenwood DDx4019. I bought it from caraduiosecurty.com

Imo a really good peice of kit. Had everything that I need from bluetooth to mp3 and dab. Cannot fault it at all. Its modernised my 850 alot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2020, 16:08   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
I went for a Kenwood DDx4019. I bought it from caraduiosecurty.com

Imo a really good peice of kit. Had everything that I need from bluetooth to mp3 and dab. Cannot fault it at all. Its modernised my 850 alot.
Thanks - I'll have a look at that one - Alan

The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2020, 19:19   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Car speakers are usually 4 ohm. There are some even lower, even 1 ohm. That makes them louder for the same input than 8 ohm ones. There are other factors to be considered and the amp has to suit 4 ohms. Modern ones can be 2 ohms and that does really put a strain on an amp. It does therefore have to be able to drive that load without problems. Make sure that whatever amp or unit you use is capable of handling the load.
Car audio does in theory only have 12 volts to play with but applying a bit of magic to the amp design you can get more power out than standard physics will normally allow but only for loud peaks and not continuously.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2020, 21:14   #9
Cookeh
Premier Member

So that headunit can only put out 50w @4ohm to 4 channels. The speakers you bought draw 90w RMS @4ohm each - so you're nowhere near what they need to sound their best, and that's forgetting about the 6 other speakers in the car that need to be driven.

That's a fairly standard output for most headunits unfortunately, as they're often designed to replace a factory headunit rather than drive aftermarket and more powerful speakers.
Old May 27th, 2020, 09:14   #10
Gonzobard

So jumping onto MK’s thread, what are the particular attributes of a modern double DIN head unit that would best suit an 850R?
Gonzobard is offline   Reply With Quote