Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sudden cutting out, then works again

Views : 1554

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:25   #1
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default Sudden cutting out, then works again

This is 240 with a simple mixer open-loop system.

It has been working perfectly for several years, but this morning after filling up I started off on petrol, switched to gas, it ran for a few seconds then suddenly died. I switched back to petrol and it ran perfectly.

The 4 green lights were on, and it had apparently switched to gas after blipping to the usual 2000 rpm, and the petrol light went out. But obviously something was sticking because no gas came through.

I tried again a few minutes later, and it did the same.
However after I had later stopped to fill with petrol and started again, it would switch over to gas and then ran perfectly for the rest of the journey.

I hate occasional faults that fix themselves. Is there anything I could usefully check, or is this just one of those things, down to weather change, not used for a couple of days, etc ?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:17   #2
Father Adam
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post

It has been working perfectly for several years, but this morning after filling up I started off on petrol, switched to gas, it ran for a few seconds then suddenly died. I switched back to petrol and it ran perfectly.

The 4 green lights were on, and it had apparently switched to gas after blipping to the usual 2000 rpm, and the petrol light went out. But obviously something was sticking because no gas came through.

However after I had later stopped to fill with petrol and started again, it would switch over to gas and then ran perfectly for the rest of the journey.

I hate occasional faults that fix themselves. Is there anything I could usefully check, or is this just one of those things, down to weather change, not used for a couple of days, etc ?
Have you checked the level of water in your expansion tank?
Father Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:49   #3
volvobaggen

Maybe you have wax deposits in a solenoid causing it to stick? Have you serviced your lpg system and changed filter in your lpg-solenoid? Opening it should theoretically give some indication if there is any wax in the system.

Last edited by volvobaggen; Sep 3rd, 2012 at 14:47.
volvobaggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 21:02   #4
mad matt

Quote:

it can happen some times after filling you may have over filled the tank that can jam the valve its happend to in the passed hope this helps
mad matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 08:01   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Thanks.
I have serviced it at intervals, but never found any dirt or wax, and nothing is ever drainable from the vapouriser.
It has been fine since, so presumably as ypu say just something sticking and then freeing. I have sometimes found the indicator lights stick on empty after refilling, but then suddenly something clears, but never refusal to turn the gas on before.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 08:25   #6
mad matt

Quote:
Thanks.
I have serviced it at intervals, but never found any dirt or wax, and nothing is ever drainable from the vapouriser.
It has been fine since, so presumably as ypu say just something sticking and then freeing. I have sometimes found the indicator lights stick on empty after refilling, but then suddenly something clears, but never refusal to turn the gas on before.
yep sounds like your tank vavle is playing up sounds like the flot is getting stuck and it will alow the tank to feel more than 80% full and jaming you out let vavle i word be thinking ov changing the tank vavle unit
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 08:31   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Point noted. I''ll try and get by for a bit. I have a feeling that before long the insurance company may start requiring that I get the car registered under this new system. Originally they were happy with a copy of the installer's invoice (Dutch) , but that must be 10 years old now, so I am half-expecting to have to take it to be checked and certified.

Then I'm thinking perhaps the tank wouldn't pass, because of age (unknown), and it might be sensible to scrap the small one in the boot compartment floor and get a larger toroidal in the spare wheel well.
And then perhaps the vapouriser - do they last forever? It's all expense in a car that's done 290,000 miles.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 21:01   #8
mad matt

Exclamation

as things are the is no need to change the tank as age does not matter for now wot car is it on?
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:14   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

1992 GL estate.
I know fitting an open-loop mixer system on an injected engine with catalyst isn't now regarded as ideal, but it's what they did then. And as it's June 92 it's tested on the old carburettor emissions levels so it doesn't really matter whether the cat works or not.

It has been working normally since the glitch, but I'm taking the point about overfilling. I notice that the garage pump changes its note when the tank is getting near full, so I'm stopping at that point now, not letting it try to squeeze in the last drop.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 08:23   #10
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

It's just done it again, after running perfectly for nearly a year, in the same circumstances.
As I was filling up I noticed that the garage pump was running briskly. Normally that pump is quite slow, but the warm weather seems to have rejuvenated it.
Usually I can detect a change in note as it nears full, and I stop at that point to avoid over-filling. This morning however the pump went so fast it quickly filled the tank and then stopped with a jerk.
On restarting it wouldn't change over. All 4 green lights plus orange were lit, petrol light went out, but no gas.

Presumably this is likely to be the solenoid on the tank, not the one at the vapouriser? Are there any tricks for re-activating it - thumping the tank with a mallet, or would releasing the pressure in the pipe from the tank at the vapouriser end to create a pressure drop across the tank solenoid encorage it?