Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what to look for, lpg system with no docs or certs

Views : 1061

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2013, 00:10   #1
Dr T

Default what to look for, lpg system with no docs or certs

So i might have found a C70 at last, only thing with it is that it had an lpg system fitted, the car has a full service history and has just past its MOT, but from what i can tell so far, there's no documentation or certificate (nor is the car on the online lpg register) with the lpg system and it was fitted before the current owner bought it.

So far all i can think of doing is asking what brand names / labels are on the various components of the system to see if i can tell what sort of quality the system is. Asking where the tank is located, how big it is etc. Asking for a few photos under the bonnet to check things haven't been secured in place with cable ties and the like as i've seen pointed out on here as a bad idea.

Other than that is there anything to look for / ask for? The car is too far to go just to look so ideally i want to ask everything before i go there with a few to picking it up unless there's anything terrible.

I've called my local lpg fitter and he's quoted £85 to check over the system and assuming its all good, a further £25 to get it on the register. If its a terrible system he said it'd cost about £350 to completely removing it.

I need to check what my insurance makes of it but other than that is there anything else to think of?
Dr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 12:56   #2
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Your insurance may not allow it to be driven until its proven to be a safe system by a qualified fitter (mine certainly wouldnt). This could be a real problem as potentially your insurance will be invalid when you collect.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 13:22   #3
Dr T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMachina View Post
Your insurance may not allow it to be driven until its proven to be a safe system by a qualified fitter (mine certainly wouldnt). This could be a real problem as potentially your insurance will be invalid when you collect.
yep you are spot on, i've just spoken to my insurance company and the long and short of it is, with a LPGA certificate/registration it doesn't change my insurance premium, without the cert/registration they wont cover it at all. So as you say, i couldn't even collect it without the docs.

I'll have a chat with the seller tonight as he must have something or else he's been driving around in not only something that could be potentially dangerous but also that may have invalidated his insurance.

To be fair, the idea of buying something that could be dangerous was a real put off and the insurance company forcing my hand may be a god send. I'll see what the chap says but only real way forward is if he gets the cert for it if really doesnt have one.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 13:25   #4
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Theres only one thing thats critical with LPG - making sure the work was done in accordance with regulations, to the appropriate standards, by someone who is known,. identified, authorised and licenced to do so

If its not on the database, walk away. God knows what horrors you might find, there are still sharks out there bolting tanks to the bottom of vehicles without padding, securing injector rails with cable ties, routing gas lines without shielding, etc....
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 13:30   #5
Dr T

such a shame, 2.4na coupes are rare as hen's teeth as it is, and given i just want to commute in it the prospect of an lpg converted one sounds like a match made in heaven, but like you say, the potential for it to become a problem/dangerous is too high without a cert to say otherwise.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 13:30   #6
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Out of interest is the C70 you are looking at FY04YNZ ?

I have been watching the market for these myself and wondering why that one wasnt selling (I wont be bidding against you - cant afford it at the moment but will be able to inside of a year..)

EDIT - no it clearly isnt.. the one i was watching is a 2.0 not a 2.4
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 17:34   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Start by finding out the type and make of system installed. If you can find out who the installer was you might be able to get a copy certificate from the original installer.

Failing that I would ask the seller to let you have it inspected before committing to purchase the car.

If the seller does not know what the system is ask for a few photos of the LPG bits and will help you id what the system is.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 20:56   #8
Dr T

cheers for the response, had a chat with the seller this evening, nice chap but has no docs nor any knowledge of the installation at all. Going to let it go and look for another.

Cheers again for the help, cracking forum this.