Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio cassette change

Views : 802

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 19:02   #1
archerthom

Sorry but new to forum - I want to change the volvo radio cassette in my 89 740se estate for a Kenwood cd player from my other car - been to halfords got the leads etc but no joy - any one got any suggestions? Many thanks
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 21:29   #2
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Default RE: Radio cassette change

Can you elaborate further? You'll probably find that the original radio runs via a multiplug to an amplifier before it goes to the speakers. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I have seen extra wires going to the doors, bypassing the amp. Or you cn cut the speaker wires at the amp and splice in new ones to the radio, also bypassing the amp. I haven't heard about an adapter to run a different radio through the amp.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 23:24   #3
George Holmer

The older radios factory fitted to 700 cars would have an amp even for just two speakers but an 1989 car would probably only have an amp if you have four speakers. The best thing to do is to remove the old factory radio and you will find a multiplug; if there is a CD changer type cable (thick, black one with contact), then that is most certainly for an amp. If so, undo the cover above the driver feet and you will find the amp (or should find the amp) and with a bit of thinking will be able to work out which cables does the speakers. Cut off as much of the other cables as you want bearing in mind that some will be power so make sure the amp does not drain any power but also that no cables are shorting, sorry if I am stating the obvious. Then extend those cables to the radio (might find that the Volvo multiplug has rear speaker cables and you can then connect the cables from the amp to the multiplug. This does all require a bit of tinkering but that's the fun of owning a 14 year old car, no?

You need then to mate the multiplug with the radio (I am presuming here that you have a multiplug, if it has been cut then let us know and we can help further). Yhe easiest way to do this is to make your own harness. Take the Halford cable which most probably is Volvo to ISO or DIN and cut of the ISO/DIN bit and then get one for your stereo which could be to ISO or a Ford Cortina or whatever, makes no difference. Then cut of the bit that is not for your stereo and mate the bit for your stereo with the Volvo bit, cable by cable. These two harnesses should be marked up, if not, then have fun!

Please provide specific problems if this is no help.

George

Anglo-Swede resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/M46, 200k)
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler (B230ET/M46, 270k)
'88 745 GL (B200E/M47, 200k)
'89 440 GL (B18K/M55, 90k)
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:35   #4
Colin Shepherd

Just to add a few things to add to George`s post.
Your 740 se does have an amplifier above the drivers knee, this only drives the rear speakers, the front speakers are powered direct from the radio but go through the amplifier as pass-through.
You basically need to dispense with the amp as your more modern head unit will have enough power to drive 4 speakers.
You need to run 4 pairs of wires from the amplifier position to the speaker outputs on the radio
A Haynes manual would help in identifying the wire colours.
Once you have identified the wires for a particular speaker you can test it by connecting a small 1.5V battery (AA or AAA) momentarily across the two wires when you should hear a popping sound from the appropriate speaker.
Hope this helps,
Colin.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 17:14   #5
archerthom

Many thanks to all - will now be attacking things with more confidence - have got the Haynes (and as usual it is easier to knit yoghurt than understand) but with luck I will succeed.

Next challenge is the infamous instrument panel
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 20:01   #6
George Holmer

I have the Volvo green book wiring diagrams. That has individual diagrams for things like fuel pump, cruise control and so on and then one massive one covering perhaps a total of four or five A4 sheets. This is two colour, black and red using red to mark live feeds. It is very clear. Haynes took this and copied in black and white and then made it several times smaller and impossible to read.

George

Anglo-Swede resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/M46, 200k)
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler (B230ET/M46, 270k)
'88 745 GL (B200E/M47, 200k)
'89 440 GL (B18K/M55, 90k)
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 23:01   #7
kev240
Master Member

Default RE: Radio cassette change

I recently changed the original Volvo stereo in my 1988 740GLE using an audio adapter lead from 'Autoleads', who I found on the internet.
Halfords supplied me with the wrong lead, it was for a 760 and would not work.
The lead from Autoleads had two Volvo style plugs on it, one to fit in to the plug from the amplifier,(next to the steering column), and the other fitted directly on to the plug that went into the original Volvo stereo, enabling the other two 'ISO' plugs on the lead to fit into the back of my Sony CD Player. the lead cost me about £10:00 and was fitted in less than fifteen minutes, and will make life easier when it comes to re-fitting the original stereo, (saves a nightmare of cut wires), Halfords did supply the correct DIN size adaptor plate to house the smaller CD unit on the facia, it also cost around £10:00.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote