Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HID conversions

Views : 3303

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2019, 21:32   #21
Sidonas

Is there a consensus for the best HID retrofit projector?
I bought a pair of E46s and they're somewhat disappointing due to their narrow beam pattern.

However, I've someone get excellent results with above average width by retrofitting a morimoto mini D2S. Downloaded and attached an image from another forum, I hope the guy won't mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13ece0df21db671be941af7550dfa1b8.jpg (71.9 KB, 21 views)
Sidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 11:18   #22
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidonas View Post
Is there a consensus for the best HID retrofit projector?
I bought a pair of E46s and they're somewhat disappointing due to their narrow beam pattern.

However, I've someone get excellent results with above average width by retrofitting a morimoto mini D2S. Downloaded and attached an image from another forum, I hope the guy won't mind.
Hear you ref narrow pattern - thats my only complain since retrofit. I am just using foglights when driving on pitch black country roads, otherwise you just dont see anything at the right side.
Recently read about someone fitting mini DS 5.0 with very little effort (conversion bracket) and results were much better. Thats what I would go for if doing mod again.
FX-R 3.0 are even better, from what I heard, but much harder to fit into our lamps.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 11:33   #23
Sidonas

You have the Aharon replicas, right? That's the ones I went with as well. Narrow throw + clear lens resulting in highly colour-flickered cutoff is what I don't like about them.

I'm now wondering whether the OEM AL/Kendrion projectors would do a better job? They can be had for cheap off eBay nowadays. Have you seen any pictures or reviews from people retrofitting those?

If they have the same issue, perhaps going for the low effort mini D2S would be alright, despite having the same sharp cutoff with tons of flicker.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 12:05   #24
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
You have the Aharon replicas, right? That's the ones I went with as well. Narrow throw + clear lens resulting in highly colour-flickered cutoff is what I don't like about them.

I'm now wondering whether the OEM AL/Kendrion projectors would do a better job? They can be had for cheap off eBay nowadays. Have you seen any pictures or reviews from people retrofitting those?

If they have the same issue, perhaps going for the low effort mini D2S would be alright, despite having the same sharp cutoff with tons of flicker.
Yes, Aharon replicas. Rainbow cutoff is indeed a bit annoying but got used to it, can be minimised with proper setup of the shutter but is always there.
I know that you can use OEM clear lenses in them and beam pattern improves, but not as much as upgrade to DS5.0 would. OEM projectors by Bosch are better as of beam spread, that is confirmed, but it is hard to find them in good condition. Dont have any pics handy, but I remember reading about it on SS forum and general consensus is - much better than replicas (no wonder...).
If you go with Mini DS, make sure its 5.0 model + bracket adaptor, just to be sure you are getting best possible.
Where do u get them from, Morimoto products are really hard to find in EU....?
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 12:37   #25
Sidonas

As they are still being used in new car models, there are plenty of OEM AL/Kendrion gen2 projectors in perfect condition over on eBay. And they run for around 30$ a pair.

As for shipping, there is this relay service based in Lithuania called shipzee. They have a US warehouse that you can order to. Then they ship it over to Europe tax-free and get it shipped to your house. It's much cheaper and more convenient than dealing with customs. Not sure if they operate outside of Lithuania though.

Going back to projectors. I'm getting really tempted to buy a pair of the OEM ones. If they really are superior width-wise, it would be at least 150 cheaper than the mini d2s, additionally, there would be no rainbowing as none of them come with clear lenses.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 14:21   #26
LizardOfBodom

Quote:

Going back to projectors. I'm getting really tempted to buy a pair of the OEM ones. If they really are superior width-wise, it would be at least 150 cheaper than the mini d2s, additionally, there would be no rainbowing as none of them come with clear lenses.
I think lens is the most important part of the equasion - AHARON ones are simple and cheap clear lenses, where OEMs are more sophisticated with strategically placed dimples and/or grooves etc, also the sphere on those is different so beam pattern/width is nicer. May make sense to try OEM projector as full and then try tyo swap just OEM lens to AHARON bowl, and compare.
By all means go ahead and try it out , especially for 30USD only, but make sure you share results!
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 19:58   #27
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Personally I think HIDs overpower the Aharon projectors... having since disconnected the HIDs and switched back to Halogen, that haze around the cutoff pattern has reduced in intensity, but still looks nice.

I think the Aharon's definitely work better with Halogen than HID bulbs.

I've kinda taken a liking to the "throw all light forwards" design of the Aharons as they really do shoot far down the road.

I think you'd really need clever LED matrix headlights to get the same distance + good width.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:44   #28
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

I think you'd really need clever LED matrix headlights to get the same distance + good width.
First person to succesfully retrofit working Matrix LED system and/or laser headlamp on P1 car will be sent a personal congratulation letter attached to big bottle of best polish vodka
but yea, we can dream... :}

I wouldnt say aharon are "overpowered" with HIDs, to be honest except of narrow beam and a BIT rainbowy cutoff I really cant fault them. Tried to drive with H7 bulbs in them (back when I had h7 version projector) but the results were far from satisfactory...

*BTW - going trough my old pics I noticed that D2S version has much less rainbow artifacts than h7 on chinese burners. Maybe its one of the factors with people not being as happy with them?...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lb4.jpg (104.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg bl08.jpg (47.6 KB, 42 views)
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 12:22   #29
dralphs

Watching this with interest. I have cleaned the projectors in my V50 and am now running Nighteye/Novsight H7 LEDs https://www.amazon.co.uk/NIGHTEYE-Au.../dp/B074PNZ88Y and they seem better than halogen.

I now have on order a pair of their projector specific leds which are similar to the twenty20 ones that autobulbs and others offer where the leds are not 180 degree apart but are both angled down in a vee. https://www.banggood.com/NovSight-A5...r_warehouse=CN

I'll see if it is actually any better and try and get comparision photos when they arrive

I also will try these https://sinolyn.net/products/3-0-d2s...r-lens-customs but with the weather recently it will have to wait til after xmas.
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 12:27   #30
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralphs View Post

I'll see if it is actually any better and try and get comparision photos when they arrive
please do, I am very interested to see results. Not sure why this V shape is better than 180deg, and especially compared to almost 360deg light output of HID burner, but I am sure there is some mathematical explanation to it, otherwise they wouldnt do it.
Let us know when tested (pics on the same surface before and after new LEDs are most welcome )
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: