Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does Anyone Use VPower Diesel?

Views : 20404

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2011, 09:49   #1
JimG
Premier Member

Default Does Anyone Use VPower Diesel?

When the switch to Super Unleaded solved a bunch of issues with our T5 motors at work, I started using it in my own T5. I got noticeably better performance in terms of acceleration, smoothness and also got more miles from a tank of fuel.

I'm wondering, although the XC90 couldn't be classed as a high performance vehicle, the engine still has to work hard as it's such a big vehicle.

Does anyone regularly use "Super" diesel or VPower Diesel? If so, what improvements have you noticed?

Has anyone tried said fuels and not noticed any difference?

I accidentally filled a whole tank with VPower diesel. I reckon it cost about £7-8 more but I got the best economy so far out of that tank. Even if the added cost outweighs the better MPG; it must be better for the engine surely???

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:32   #2
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I haven't used V-power but do believe I can feel a difference between supermarket diesel and diesel from our local Total. As the price difference is only 1p I prefer to use that.
Maybe it's me, but engine seems to run 'rougher' on Tesco/Morisson's diesel...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron_XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 13:54   #3
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Not sure if this sort of thing is approved, but have a look at this discussion thread in the Renault Forums, its from July 2007 ..... I believe its marketing and a Cetane increase .... but it was very noticable on the Espace ... but not so much so in the Tank.

hope it helps

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25472
TruckbusUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 14:10   #4
moncman

I put a tankfull of Total Excellium (Diesel Extra) when in France as it was only a couple of cents more per litre compared to 5+ pence that it commands back here in the UK.

Car was indeed smoother more responsive and cracked 40mpg an a run to Futurescope, an increase of about 15% over what i would have expected given the road conditions/speed.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 16:34   #5
The Mad Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
I put a tankfull of Total Excellium (Diesel Extra) when in France as it was only a couple of cents more per litre compared to 5+ pence that it commands back here in the UK.

Car was indeed smoother more responsive and cracked 40mpg an a run to Futurescope, an increase of about 15% over what i would have expected given the road conditions/speed.
That's amazing! So the extra cost could potentially be recouped with greater economy? Interesting! I may give it a spin the next time I fill up.

P.S. Did you like Futurescope? I went a few years ago when we were staying in the Loire Valley. Was a good day out!

Rolf Aldag
The Mad Rapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 16:37   #6
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Read My post from Yesterday >>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=135637

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 19:52   #7
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Read My post from Yesterday >>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=135637

Keith
Interesting Keith. Great minds think alike!

I prefer Shell fuels and think that I will do every other or every third tank with VPower.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 22:49   #8
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

I did a tank full recently and noticed absolutely no difference at all, was a bit disappointed!
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 00:04   #9
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmondson View Post
I did a tank full recently and noticed absolutely no difference at all, was a bit disappointed!
How much fuel did you have in the car to start with prior to filling up with V-Power? Was the V-Power being diluted by the fuel already in the tank?

On my last car which was a 2.2 TD I always used V-Power and I could always tell the differencce when I didn't. On V-Power the engine would be more responsive, definitely quieter, smoother and would get approx 10% further per tank.

I was travelling 160miles per day on the daily commute then there was the normal weekend stuff (shops, trips away etc..) was doing 30,000+ miles per year.

On a long run (would often do 540miles one way to see the folks) and if I had used supermarket fuel I would get about 600miles to the tank but with V-Power I would regularly get the 650 to 660 and the max I ever got was 680 (60ltr tank). Round town and general use I'd get about 510 - 530 per tank, I do miss that sort of mileage now I've my V50 T5.

My car had 160,000 miles on it when I changed to the T5 and never had a single problem any part of the fuel or exhaust system and EGR valves were very common place on these vehicles, I can only attribute my great fortune to running on V-Power.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 01:26   #10
JimG
Premier Member

It has been suggested that the engine learns the quality of fuel and will adapt after 4 tanks. Don't know how true that is, I filled up once with VPower and got better economy immediately.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk